Canon EOS R or Sony A7III

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Professional photographers and my fellow reefers,

Need a little help deciding between these two cameras and right lenses for them...A little bit of background. I have been using T2i with macro and stock lenses for last decade. It served me well but it is time to upgrade. A few things I used to hate with canon T2i
1) not being able to move pics from camera directly into my cell phone(Wi-Fi capable)
2) unable to Set white balance on video
3) general handling of white balance
4) switching between macro and FTS lenses
5) some processing needed to reflect the colors as seen by our eyes
6) general handling in low light (actinics only)

From reading all the reviews, it looks like Sony A7III might handle videos much better but Canon has flip screen which is helpful in lots of situation and just better ergonomics...I have watched all the videos online comparing the two cameras but they don’t show the comparison in reef setting, which boils down to ability to be able to handle white balance with minimum post processing.

Please provide your input if you are using either of the two and what lenses would be good with them for photography/videography in our reef setting (ability to capture the colors as our eyes see them with minimal processing).

Any pics or videos with your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sam

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7R.
Canon has not caught up. Sony works well with existing Canon EF lenses. I think the new Canon shutterless has a unique lense mount.
Check DPreview for info. Sony was still the highest rated camera last I looked.

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Professional photographers and my fellow reefers,

Need a little help deciding between these two cameras and right lenses for them...A little bit of background. I have been using T2i with macro and stock lenses for last decade. It served me well but it is time to upgrade. A few things I used to hate with canon T2i
1) not being able to move pics from camera directly into my cell phone(Wi-Fi capable)
2) unable to Set white balance on video
3) general handling of white balance
4) switching between macro and FTS lenses
5) some processing needed to reflect the colors as seen by our eyes
6) general handling in low light (actinics only)

From reading all the reviews, it looks like Sony A7III might handle videos much better but Canon has flip screen which is helpful in lots of situation and just better ergonomics...I have watched all the videos online comparing the two cameras but they don’t show the comparison in reef setting, which boils down to ability to be able to handle white balance with minimum post processing.

Please provide your input if you are using either of the two and what lenses would be good with them for photography/videography in our reef setting (ability to capture the colors as our eyes see them with minimal processing).

Any pics or videos with your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sam
Why not Nikon ds850?

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate a quick response. Looks like you Went through same decisions points...I am also leaning towards Sony A7III. How are the colors compared to Canon? That is one thing Canon sensors have always done better historically.

On the Sony, do you have a recommendation for lens bundle. Here are some on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B45D8WV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YGEQCbN2FVSE2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3J4JR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2LEQCbKKSNZHV

Below are the lenses I use. As for colors vs. the Canon, I have not noticed any difference but if you do a lot of color correction in post (I do not) then I believe you can get to where you want to be with the Sony.

Sony FE 90mm F2.8 Macro Lens
https://amzn.to/2D041j2

Sony FE 24-70mm F4
https://amzn.to/2JBRraV

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A7R.
Canon has not caught up. Sony works well with existing Canon EF lenses. I think the new Canon shutterless has a unique lense mount.
Check DPreview for info. Sony was still the highest rated camera last I looked.
I agree with your reco about the Sony :) However, when I spoke to my local dealer about using Canon lenses on the Sony he said the results would not be as good versus using Sony glass. My online research led me to the same conclusion and I decided to sell my Canon lenses and go all in on Sony.

OP
OP
SamsReef

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why not Nikon ds850?

either I would like to stick to Canon because I have macro lens that I shelled out $900 sometime back and works great or I move to Sony which has been the leader on mirrorless. Those are the ones I am staying with, unless you think ds850 provides distinct advantages from your experience.

Sam

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either I would like to stick to Canon because I have macro lens that I shelled out $900 sometime back and works great or I move to Sony which has been the leader on mirrorless. Those are the ones I am staying with, unless you think ds850 provides distinct advantages from your experience.

Sam
It takes the clearest pictures out there... I don’t own that specific camera, I own it’s predecessor as well as some high end lenses and it takes great pictures

Act1n1c_L1fe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pictures from my camera. But if you already have a $900 lens, stick with a camera you can use with the lenses you already have
It takes the clearest pictures out there... I don’t own that specific camera, I own it’s predecessor as well as some high end lenses and it takes great pictures
Some pics from my camera

4A3C5CAC-6F52-4BC9-AE1E-05B28CCE8B5C.jpeg

F6C3B768-B654-4FEF-B397-CDFBA14764C9.jpeg

3F8CC4D3-2EEB-4CEB-9FDF-9A2028EC796A.jpeg

8E96F3A7-1093-48FF-A2D8-9BC90F9046CB.jpeg

75BD150D-F0F2-43E7-A9E2-E5BAEEE924EB.jpeg

7FEC5D12-932E-4D94-B10B-668C919D0F8B.jpeg

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend has $10K+ Canon lenses he uses on the Sony. He has had all three versions of the A7R, still has the II and III. Only has one native Sony lense. Mostly uses the Canon 24-70 F2.8L with the metabones adapter.
The first two A7R versions took superb images but the camera was not as good as a Canon or Nikon, had a point and shoot feeling. The latest version III fixed almost all the complaints users had with the previous versions. The IV will probably be out next year.
I own a Canon and lenses. I would buy the Sony and a metabones adapter; Sigma does have an adapter as well. Since I don’t have the latest Canon 24-70F2.8L I might buy the native version since it is more compact.
Nikon uses Sony sensors so they have similar performance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back