Canopy fans

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to finish my canopy and want to put for fans two on the top and one on each side. However not sure what type of fans to use. Computer fans or ones that are made for aquarium canopies. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been looking for something like that just couldn't find it. That was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of photos of my canopy construction, lighting and fans but Photobucket is real slow on my laptop over wifi so will post some later when I get home. I had a build thread on AZReefs but the site folded and I lost it.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the temperature controlled fans. They have a built in thermometer and the fan speed adjusts based on the temp. That way during lights out, they will ramp way down or off, than turn back on automatically when lights come back on. I use them for a lot of clients' tanks. The other fan kits I like come as a pair with a speed control knob. Only problem is the length of the cord connecting the fans together. It's probably no long enough to have one on either end of the canopy.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the temperature controlled fans and found they didn't vary much other than when the lights were completely off. Instead i use a variable voltage DC power supply and adjust the fan speed according to the seasons, temperature of the house and cooling needs. In summer they would run at 10.5 or 12v and in winter at 7.5 or 9v so they were much slower and didn't evaporate as much. With my LED's I don't even use them anymore. They are hooked to the RKL so if the water temp rises they will come on but it hasn't happened yet in over 3 years.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415385445647.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415385445647.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 216

mark sid tottle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have but a pair of cooing fans in my canopy, i have them sucking the air out, the reason why i have done this is due to diy led build. when the fans are on they they blow air down on to the heatsinks then from there the air is blown out sideways. then the fans in the canopy pick the moving air and its sucked out. not say this is correct but it works great for me. I have also reduced the power of the fans to about 6v so run half power and are on a timer to come on and off.
DSC_0069.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That canopy kinda really nice and professionally done. That gives me an idea of how to set them up. Does it matter which fans are blowing air in and sucking air out? I like that pistol looking thing right above the fan. Where you get something like that.

mark sid tottle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks glad you like it made the canopy myself. Direction of fans is up to you, but with air blow in it can cause more water evaporation. The pistol thing is a small gas strut for cupboard doors. Them ones are rated to 120 Newton meter. You can get them with a lower force ratings.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind I may use that pistol thing on mine. I will say your canopy is so sleek. Could you by chance take a full shot of the canopy. I know all canopies are about the same. However I enjoy seeing other people's work. Which could also give me ideas. Hell I'm about done with my stand. Now what's is a good paint to use on the inside of the canopy. I've heard kiltz. Any truth behind that.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do those gas struts allow the canopy access panel to stay open by its self or do you need some thing to prop it up top stay open.

mark sid tottle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for it bud, don't have any problems with that. That's the beauty about diy its full ideas for everyone to share and use. you should have a look at my diy led build
Don't have any other picture of my canopy. i take some and post them on here for you.
not heard of kiltz? I used an acrylic resin based paint then coated it with an Polyurethane gloss varnish.
yes it does allow the canopy to stay open. here is a link the them gas struts.
DSC_0067.jpg

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I'll take a look at the build. I've never been brave enough to attempt diy leds. Maybe one day I'll give it a shot. I did Google gas struts. Thanks, you have been very helpful.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just skimmed through your led build. Very impressive.

OP
OP
Kalen

Kalen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised you didn't try to mount those struts inside your canopy.

I need a few more things before I can start building my canopy again. I have the frame of it built right now. Been to busy working in the stand...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415483956263.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415483956263.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 201

mark sid tottle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did thinks about it. but was worried about them rusting. all metal rusts unless its a very good grade of stainless steel. but looking now they would of been fine as there is no condensation in the canopy at all.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back