Canopy Weight, should I be concerned?

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my first canopy and it is for a 90g tank. It is made of 3/4" birch ply and is about 18" high, with a 2x2 lip that sits on the tank trim. I assumed that even though it's relatively heavy (I can pick it up myself but I'm 6'3", putting it on the tank requires two people just to be careful not to bang it into the glass and it's 48" long) it was not even worth worrying about it possibly weighing too much to put it on the tank.

If the tank is strong enough to hold 700lbs+ of water how could a 3/4" plywood canopy be on the vertical axis be an issue, right? It will be holding an ati sunpower (i think 18lbs and 2 Kessil a350 (about 2lbs total).

I don't know why, but I am suddenly concerned. Anyone use 3/4" birch for their canopy on a 90g? Anyone know scientifically why I shouldn't be worried :) ?

Thanks!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beast! Why didn't you just skin the frame with 1/4" birch and save the weight? That's going to be a bear to move if and when you need in your tank.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a beast! Why didn't you just skin the frame with 1/4" birch and save the weight? That's going to be a bear to move if and when you need in your tank.

Well there is no actual frame, it's a just a butt jointed 3/4" ply hinged box with a 2x2 lip (1 length of 2x2 on back and sides. I modeled it after another canopy that was 3/4" and i had extra :)

It hinged almost halfway on the top so I can get all the way in my tank no problem. It's not thaaat heavy it's more cumbersome than anything. I just am trying to understand what kind of weight the tank can handle. I would imagine much much more than this but I don't know for sure. I'll probably weigh it tomorrow just to see.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of it... I've completed my stand and now thinking of possibly building a canopy vs just hanging the lights from the ceiling and having an open top. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not thaaat heavy it's more cumbersome than anything.

Not to be a wet blanket, but that's pretty much dead-on what he meant. ;)

Cumbersome will mean that you'll be very likely to do it "only when necessary" vs every time you want to. Everything in the hobby is like that – especially over time. Anything is easy once or twice....but when you have to do it year after year after year.....streamlining becomes more and more important.

Make everything as easy on yourself as possible: shortest route for water change buckets as possible; replace buckets with hoses and pumps if possible; have at least some access to all sides of the tank if possible; etc.

Maybe the canopy will turn out to be no big deal though.....if it does, it's not like it can't be replaced. :) :) :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, you didn't mention how much the canopy weighs.

I'd reserve my final recommendation until I knew that, but off-hand I'd say if your tank has a plastic-trim top then it seems unlikely that it'd be a problem.

Consider that the tank makers offer canopies that are also pretty heavy.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of it... I've completed my stand and now thinking of possibly building a canopy vs just hanging the lights from the ceiling and having an open top. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go yet.
I will do so when I get home.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a wet blanket, but that's pretty much dead-on what he meant. ;)

Cumbersome will mean that you'll be very likely to do it "only when necessary" vs every time you want to. Everything in the hobby is like that – especially over time. Anything is easy once or twice....but when you have to do it year after year after year.....streamlining becomes more and more important.

Make everything as easy on yourself as possible: shortest route for water change buckets as possible; replace buckets with hoses and pumps if possible; have at least some access to all sides of the tank if possible; etc.

Maybe the canopy will turn out to be no big deal though.....if it does, it's not like it can't be replaced. :) :) :)

I think you have an incorrect idea of how the canopy is designed. It is only cumbersome to remove the entire thing which would only be necessary if I was breaking down the tank. It's hinged and large enough that I can access the entire tank veru easily, every time I want to, so it's really not an issue at all in that regard. I agree that streamlining is important, and that's why I designed it that way. I also don't use buckets for water changes, I drain and pump from a reservoir. Good advice though. Thanks!

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, you didn't mention how much the canopy weighs.

I'd reserve my final recommendation until I knew that, but off-hand I'd say if your tank has a plastic-trim top then it seems unlikely that it'd be a problem.

Consider that the tank makers offer canopies that are also pretty heavy.

Thanks. I did say I was planning on weighing it today though. I will let you know. Do you say that cuz you have a specific weight in mind or just going off gut? I did find that the nicer canopies for purchase online are built from 3/4" board or ply, so that is comforting.

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy weighs 58lbs empty, and it is for a 90g rimmed glass aquarium. It rests all the way around the rim of the tank. It will suspend a 15lb ati sunpower, and 2 Kessil A350w(2lb combined), so 58+15+2= 75lbs total.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canopy weighs 58lbs empty, and it is for a 90g rimmed glass aquarium. It rests all the way around the rim of the tank. It will suspend a 15lb ati sunpower, and 2 Kessil A350w(2lb combined), so 58+15+2= 75lbs total.

Agreed. Should be OK.

I never had a mfgr'd 90G canopy on a scale to know the weight to the number, but I've moved enough of them.....I'd vouch for "about 50 pounds". You generally don't enjoy moving one by yourself. :)

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go boss. Let me know if you have any questions:

d10f861e551cbfd305a2a2d808567c8f.jpg
feae56e8f2563cf88ff8cf47a04e8c9c.jpg
76e0b3a26955ce6fc50dc99f8112ada8.jpg
22ebc0ad2c8c73dd7206b8fcfb7e6bda.jpg
1a4051f636adcbcefce93c8b92e52392.jpg
57c267bc382a91d40fdb957d7ebefa41.jpg

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks not set up yet equipment wise so ignore the lighting/heaters/powerheads in the display. The canopy will sit on top of this (obviously) and the sides extend down a few inches past the lip to cover the trim. I have an aluminum bar that the ati hangs from in the canopy that I can easily slide in and out to change bulbs, and the two kessils are mounted to the sides on articulating kessil mounts from premium aquatics, in case you are interested. BTW I know the water looks slightly off level but that's actually accumulation of foam due to powerhead/overflow and sand dust. It is perfectly level [emoji3] .

I'll take a pic with it on and set up tomorrow or tuesday.

cda4989a4605fa8e1b1c80f7e13f8309.jpg

OP
OP
BigJohnny

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!
Thanks bud, I really think it turned out well, especially considering it was the first canopy I built. My previous tank I had the light suspended from the ceiling and I will say that the light bleed bothered me and my wife. Extended out over the tank and on the walls, into your eyes at the right angle etc.

This new tank stand is also 38" tall so I would be blinded when looking at the tank if the light was just suspended from the ceiling since it is so high up. Something to consider if you dont use a canopy.

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to first try a hanging canopy... where maybe there's just a little wood rim surrounding the lights, but where you can still see the water... if that doesn't work, them full canopy will be it for me as well.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back