Cant find a foxface rabbit fish ANYWHERE!!!

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive gone everywhere locally... and even checked online vendors... I finally find a fish I really really want to have and Its nowhere to be found... was looking at the magnificent as well... NOWHERE!!! Was hoping @FishyBusinessAquatics would have them in stock with their current sale going on, but they gone! Whats the word on the street friends?

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when they go 'out of season', it's gonna be a while. You might get lucky if u keep looking but a couple of my LFS just said 'nothing left' about 2 weeks ago.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be in season currently. My lfs has been getting a steady supply. Just got a magnificent 2 weeks ago and they just received 2 more yesterday

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have about 25 babies at a local shop here, maybe 2 inches as well as adults. Called aquatic warehouse in San Diego. I know they have a website but not sure if they ship

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a smaller shop called vets pets about another 15 minutes passed aquatic warehouse has 2 adults!

Looking for a small one... got a bubble algae and ulva issue right now... How will these guys do with tangs? I have a tomini and a purple in the tank... was also thinking of getting another for my tank that I have a mimic and scopas tang in...

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a small one... got a bubble algae and ulva issue right now... How will these guys do with tangs? I have a tomini and a purple in the tank... was also thinking of getting another for my tank that I have a mimic and scopas tang in...
Not sure, I've never owned a tang, every fox I've had has been mild though

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put one in w purple tang recently. My PT is tank boss and relentless. The fox face did much better then any of the rest I put in. They have poisonous spines on both dorsal and caudal sides and use them effectively

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put one in w purple tang recently. My PT is tank boss and relentless. The fox face did much better then any of the rest I put in. They have poisonous spines on both dorsal and caudal sides and use them effectively

Thanks for the heads up

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will likely get harrassed by the tangs, especially the purple, since they're larger, were there first, and are both herbivores.
But since the foxface has venomous spines, it can defend itself somewhat, so you're likely to see injuries on both the foxface and the tangs.
For example, at one point my purple tang had an obvious puncture wound near his lip that was almost certainly from a foxface spine.
I imagine he lunged at the foxface and got spiked in the face for his trouble.
Eventually the tang and foxface came to an understanding and there's been no issues since.

Also, the foxface will eat the ulva but you can't count on it to eat intact bubble algae spheres.
My foxface has never touched an intact one, ever.
But if I break them off and rupture them with a tweezers and let them go in the water, he's right there to gobble them up instantly.

OP
OP
PerplexyHexy

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will likely get harrassed by the tangs, especially the purple, since they're larger, were there first, and are both herbivores.
But since the foxface has venomous spines, it can defend itself somewhat, so you're likely to see injuries on both the foxface and the tangs.
For example, at one point my purple tang had an obvious puncture wound near his lip that was almost certainly from a foxface spine.
I imagine he lunged at the foxface and got spiked in the face for his trouble.
Eventually the tang and foxface came to an understanding and there's been no issues since.

Also, the foxface will eat the ulva but you can't count on it to eat intact bubble algae spheres.
My foxface has never touched an intact one, ever.
But if I break them off and rupture them with a tweezers and let them go in the water, he's right there to gobble them up instantly.

I have a midsize acclimation box... wondering if I should put him in there for a few days... or should I just let them figure it out...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back