Can't get bean animal overflow to work right

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Modular Marine bean animal had been working fine. After the latest water change, the overflow was draining all the water out of the emergency drain. I pulled out the outside box plumbing, cleaned it, and that stopped the total drain. But now, the box won't stay full of water, it gurgles, and won't maintain the correct water level in my sump. Checked the gate valve and it is fine. This is happening with the gate valve closed some. The second drain has always had a lot of water coming out. Is that normal? Should I have that second drain cut shorter? Any advice?

1630681084367.png
1630681142333.png

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can't tell from your photos, i assume the gate valve is installed on your main drain correct? I thought the main was always supposed to be full siphon in theory. On mine I have a gate valve on my main and a regular union valve on my secondary. This gives a very good level of control. Also verify your return pump is putting out what it should.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned up the Hydor pump and opened the gate valve entirely. The box stays empty and gurgles so not fixed. Yes, the gate valve is on the main drain and a union on the second drain. Did not work.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned up the Hydor pump and opened the gate valve entirely. Just drains more than ever. Did not work
Start with the gate valve like almost closed or 3/4 closed and work your way back. you'll want to restrict the flow to help with this. Consider installing a union valve on your secondary, looks like it would be an easy mod.

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gate valve is on main. I increased the Hydor return pump and tweaked the gate valve. The overflow is working correctly now. Still don't understand what changed but no matter. Thank you so much!
I'm late to the party so glad you got it fixed. Sometimes my main drain gets air bound during water changes and refuses to flow any water. Not exactly sure why that happens some times and not others, but mine does.

Eventually I'm going to get around to drilling a hole in the top of the 90 degree fitting above my main drain which should help fix this but have no other impact on the operation of the drain.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The main drain should have the shorter "U" pipe and should be fully submerged in the external box. The secondary drain's "U" pipe should be a couple inches higher than the main drain. Emergency should be 1/2" to 1" from the very top of the box. It's hard to tell the orientation of the external box and your sump, but it looks like your main drain is higher than the secondary? You should have a good trickle through the secondary, but nothing too heavy. When set properly, it should be dead silent.

OP
OP
Sebastiancrab

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the main is higher than the secondary. It is running quiet now with the Hydor pump turned up more. But I have always thought it was strange that the 2nd line had so much water. This may be the issue.

My main drain is at the bottom of the overflow box picture and is not a U. The secondary drain has the U, is in the middle, and is the shortest. I will try swapping out things tomorrow. I suspect I will have to switch the bottom plumbing because of the tight area in the overflow box.

The directions do not cover this only the drilling and installation of the overflow box. I recall only looking at a picture on his website for the inside overflow box plumbing.

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back