Cant make up my mind on my lighting!!

Beyraud45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am just coming back to the hobby after a 5 or 6 year hiatus. I plan on building out a IM nuvo 40g lagoon fusion pro 2 AIO. I am having trouble deciding on two AI prime 16hds or one Radion xr15 g6 pro. Tank dimensions are roughly 24" x 20" x 19" and I plan on doing a mixed reef with some SPS and LPS. Let me know what you guys think and of course when I get the build started I'll post some pictures.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I am just coming back to the hobby after a 5 or 6 year hiatus. I plan on building out a IM nuvo 40g lagoon fusion pro 2 AIO. I am having trouble deciding on two AI prime 16hds or one Radion xr15 g6 pro. Tank dimensions are roughly 24" x 20" x 19" and I plan on doing a mixed reef with some SPS and LPS. Let me know what you guys think and of course when I get the build started I'll post some pictures.
Of the two, - if that's the options i would go with a single xr 15 g. 6!

Even better, i'd go with a single (used) xr30 g. 5 for the same price- or cheaper!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot more option than just those two unless you have already narrowed it down to those two A reefbreeder photon 24 comes to mind and you wouldn't have to deal with mobius ;) Your measurements are almost identical to my reefer 170. I have a photon 24 over it and have been very happy with it.
20230929_145909.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beyraud45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot more option than just those two unless you have already narrowed it down to those two A reefbreeder photon 24 comes to mind and you wouldn't have to deal with mobius ;) Your measurements are almost identical to my reefer 170. I have a photon 24 over it and have been very happy with it.
20230929_145909.jpg
That is a beautiful tank and no I'm not dead set on the two I just see those two a lot so I figured it was for a reason, but your tank showed me that's not true lol

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Radion XR15 is plenty unless you want wall to wall SPS.

Mobius is fine and not nearly the issue it used to be.

How you are going to mount the lights plays a very large role. AI and ReefBreeders need to be mounted much higher than a Radion. Then there is whole disco ball effect with ReefBreeders. If you can't see it, you will be fine. If you are like me and see dicso ball in the tank, you will hate it.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that's just android have no idea about Apple. I didn't even bother rating it :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I am running Mobius on an iPad with no issues what so ever! :) Not the hassle that it used to be (although the rating isn't much better @ 2.1 stars..)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that's just android have no idea about Apple.
Screenshot_20230929_150548_Google Play Store.jpg
I didn't even bother rating it :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

How old are the reviews and how many people rate it when they aren't having issues? App ratings on all platforms are borderline useless. I have multiple apps I would give 5 stars that get poor ratings. I also have apps that are 1 star at best yet they are rated above 4 stars in the store.

People complain when they aren't happy. They don't say a word when they are happy. I mean 527 reviews with more than 10k downloads says it all. If so many users (like you claim) are hating it, we would see far more than 527 reviews.

Let's also look at when those reviews were left. Before or after the full code redo?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am running Mobius on an iPad with no issues what so ever! :) Not the hassle that it used to be (although the rating isn't much better @ 2.1 stars..)

Mobius on Apple seems to be better than Android. That is what happens when you have to try and write code for 838 different phones running Android and they are all on different versions with different skins depending on the phone.

For Apple, you need far less resources to reach far more people. It is simple and consistent. App developers always prioritize iOS versions over Android versions.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a problem with mobius myself but always hear bad things…. I’m only saying to get a 30 cause my experience with a 15 isn’t the best and if you ever wanna upgrade tanks you can take the 30 with ya.. a g6 15 has decent coverage but horrible on depth penetration.. a 30 covers it all.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rule out a Kessil A500x? I'd be curious to know what people think of that. Doesn't have a lot of reviews but everyone always says they like the 360 but the 500 reported does a 3' area at 4feet deep with an extra lens?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rule out a Kessil A500x? I'd be curious to know what people think of that. Doesn't have a lot of reviews but everyone always says they like the 360 but the 500 reported does a 3' area at 4feet deep with an extra lens?
Fantastic light like the rest of the Kessil range :)

I love the 360s. I should have bought them in stead of the Radion XR15's that I am running now. Only piece of equipment that I regret buying! I do have one in my refugium though, guess that's all I am ever gonna have ;)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic light like the rest of the Kessil range :)

I love the 360s. I should have bought them in stead of the Radion XR15's that I am running now. Only piece of equipment that I regret buying! I do have one in my refugium though, guess that's all I am ever gonna have ;)
I'm still undecided with lighting too. I am waiting for a IM112 which has a 36" base. I don't need a massive light but down the road I might. My thought was start with a single 360 then buy another if I decide to do more with it later. But would prefer to buy one choice upfront.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still undecided with lighting too. I am waiting for a IM112 which has a 36" base. I don't need a massive light but down the road I might. My thought was start with a single 360 then buy another if I decide to do more with it later. But would prefer to buy one choice upfront.
That's probably what I would do! They're costly but in my opinion you just can't beat a Kessil LED! Seems BRS love them too (in combination with AI Blades!) in their new 52 weeks of reefing series :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have six of the of the A160 running (4 x Tuna Sun + 2 x Flora) on my FW tanks and they are awesome as well!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sinlge point light sources like Kessil have their own shortcomings and strengths. Kessil basically took a 360 and made it more powerful. This did nothting to diminish shading and all the issues that come from that

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's probably what I would do! They're costly but in my opinion you just can't beat a Kessil LED! Seems BRS love them too (in combination with AI Blades!) in their new 52 weeks of reefing series :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

I have six of the of the A160 running (4 x Tuna Sun + 2 x Flora) on my FW tanks and they are awesome as well!

At the rate the 360s fail (BRS is never going to show or talk about this), they are very tough to recommend to anyone

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the rate the 360s fail (BRS is never going to show or talk about this), they are very tough to recommend to anyone
I have never had any of my Kessils fail; naturally I can only provide my personal experience :) You might very well know more about the failure rate than I do. Often we only hear- and remember the bad things though :)

Kessil have a reputation, at least in Europe to provide eminent tech support should anything be wrong.

How do you like your Blade setup BTW? Is it as good as you wanted it to be? Seems like a dream LED lighting setup :)

OT; I have seen tons of MP40's fail as well; yet they are widely regarded as the holy grail within their field with tons and tons of users swearing by them.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old are the reviews and how many people rate it when they aren't having issues? App ratings on all platforms are borderline useless. I have multiple apps I would give 5 stars that get poor ratings. I also have apps that are 1 star at best yet they are rated above 4 stars in the store.

People complain when they aren't happy. They don't say a word when they are happy. I mean 527 reviews with more than 10k downloads says it all. If so many users (like you claim) are hating it, we would see far more than 527 reviews.

Let's also look at when those reviews were left. Before or after the full code redo?
Not sure about the review process or anything. I have 8 ecotech devices all running on ecosmart live so no Mobius. I tried mobius three times and hated it each time. I disliked it so much I bought 4 Nero 5s when I would have rather had 4 mp40s but ecotech support said they could not be run through a reef link.
Might just be an old guy thing :thinking-face:

EDIT: @rtparty how long ago did they redo the code? Maybe I need to give it another try. All of my device are mobius ready.

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are expecting a 2023 type of app, then they all suck... bad. Some of them are better than they used to be but they are all like 2005-2008 level apps. I have sprinkler controller, garage door and thermostat apps that were all better ten years ago.

Why not consider a few older units? Some Gen 4 Radions will cover that area nicely and they are probably just as good as the Gen 6, so save some coin.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back