Captive Bread Algae Eaters?

DanielBird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm looking for recommendations for captive bread algae eating saltwater fish (and ideally also recommendations of where to find them in Europe).

From what I've seen it is possible to find captive bred:
- Yellow Tangs
- Angelfish
- Rainford's Goby (although I've seen debate about whether these really have nay impact on algae)

For me, only the smallest pygmy angelfish could work in my size tank and I'm too nervous about them eating all the corals. I know you can find captive bred blennies but they all seem to be the omnivore kind that, from what I've understood, aren't going to eat up any algae.

I know in the US there are wholesalers Biota and ORA. In Europe I've only found Tropic Marine Center who sells some captive bred fish.

Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs are one and obviously snails
I don’t know the European market for fish but will be a challenge finding specific types and at a price

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S.Vulpinus had been bred by a research institute in China and I can find captive bred specimens. Wish they did the S. Magnificus too.
Other than that your best bet’s probably a Biota Yellow Tang. Biota also does the Orange Spotted Rabbitfish but I’ve seen them at a public aquarium and they get huge.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rainfords cleans the sand and pebbles but does not harvest any from the rocks. Although I don’t have any and maybe it’s because of the Rainfords!

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny fairly common but does a great job mowing down algie also fox face another member of rabbit fish fam

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet ORA urchins in my opinion. Pricey but get several and they eat all types of algae and live a long time. They usually have them in stock on LiveAquaria. Not sure if there is a source of captive bred urchins in Europe but if you find them then scoop them up

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm looking for recommendations for captive bread algae eating saltwater fish (and ideally also recommendations of where to find them in Europe).

From what I've seen it is possible to find captive bred:
- Yellow Tangs
- Angelfish
- Rainford's Goby (although I've seen debate about whether these really have nay impact on algae)

For me, only the smallest pygmy angelfish could work in my size tank and I'm too nervous about them eating all the corals. I know you can find captive bred blennies but they all seem to be the omnivore kind that, from what I've understood, aren't going to eat up any algae.

I know in the US there are wholesalers Biota and ORA. In Europe I've only found Tropic Marine Center who sells some captive bred fish.

Do you have any recommendations?
Thanks!

there are captive bred molly Miller blennies which are piglets.

Keep in mind captive bred fish are available sporadically and not always consistently. So it’s something you have to keep an eye out for and sign up in wait lists.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Sustainable Aquatics has Molly Miller in stock for captive bred. They do sell online if you go to the online store portion or if you LFS does business with them, they should be able to order them. They also have some other captive fish.

They are like the garbage trucks of fish. Will eat algae, debris, whatever food you offer and even documented eating Aiptasia.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of these but I have not seen them available for a long time from ORA. It eats bubble algae but ignores long hair algae.

I had a wild caught Two Barred years ago, but I didn’t have much algae growing in the tank at the time.

I have a Foxface now and it even eats bryopsis. It’s by far the best algae eater I ever had and I’m in the hobby 18 years.

Hopefully the Foxface will be captive bred soon.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s already been captive bred, but by the Hainan Institute of Marine Sciences in China. S.Vulpinus. Captive bred specimens come in large quantities seasonally. Wish they did the Magnificent instead but they’re only native to the waters of the Indian Ocean.

OP
OP
D

DanielBird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are one and obviously snails
I don’t know the European market for fish but will be a challenge finding specific types and at a price
I've slowly been adding a variety of more snails but I'm don't find that they are enough for a relatively young tank.
I'm specifically looking for what people do in smaller tanks when they are looking for captive bred.
(My display tank is 55 gallons)

OP
OP
D

DanielBird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blenny fairly common but does a great job mowing down algie also fox face another member of rabbit fish fam
Unfortunately, I've never seen captive bred herbivorous blennies in Europe. I can find omnivorous blennies like Kamohara but I don't think they will be of much practical use.
Have you come across captive bred Lawnmowers or Tail spots etc.?

OP
OP
D

DanielBird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best bet ORA urchins in my opinion. Pricey but get several and they eat all types of algae and live a long time. They usually have them in stock on LiveAquaria. Not sure if there is a source of captive bred urchins in Europe but if you find them then scoop them up
Thanks!
In Europe I've seen that Coralaxy will on rare occasions stock captive bred urchins.
At the time I didn't go with urchins because I've never kept them before and worried about their bulldozing potential. But maybe I'll reconsider that.

OP
OP
D

DanielBird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does algae eater has to be a fish, Wouldn’t snail and hermit crab do the job?
I currently have 3 trochus snails, 2 turban snails, 5 cerith snails, 1 hermit crab and 1 fighting conch.
This is for a 55g tank that has a medium amount of rock surface area to cover.

I think I could go with a couple more crabs and snails. My sense is they are great for keeping algae free rocks looking clean but they won't put much of a dent on algae (e.g. green hair algae) when you get it. But maybe that is mistaken?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back