Captive Bred Angels

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are the main online sellers of captive bred angels? I see Biota sells direct to consumer now and LiveAquaria has them every now and then.

I've been looking for any pygmy ones outside of Coral Beauties, but haven't had any luck. Some are listed, like Flamebacks and Lemonpeels, but are out of stock. Has COVID impacted captive bred hatchery production, too?

My LFS does not selling nearly anything captive bred.

Thanks!

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In early 2019, I picked up a pair of captive bred Hawaiian flame angles from Colchester Pets (Jen Lowy). She had a connection with a breeder. You can Google them and ask if they still get them. I can fully recommend Jen. They were really small so I kept them in a smaller tank for a few months before moving them to my display. They have done very well and I still have them both. Very nice red coloration, not much orange at all. They pick at my acros a little but I can handle that.

I believe I read an article, maybe on Reef Builders, saying they got in the flames and I just made contact.

Good luck!

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In early 2019, I picked up a pair of captive bred Hawaiian flame angles from Colchester Pets (Jen Lowy). She had a connection with a breeder. You can Google them and ask if they still get them. I can fully recommend Jen. They were really small so I kept them in a smaller tank for a few months before moving them to my display. They have done very well and I still have them both. Very nice red coloration, not much orange at all. They pick at my acros a little but I can handle that.

I believe I read an article, maybe on Reef Builders, saying they got in the flames and I just made contact.

Good luck!
Woah, I'd be all about a CB Flame Angel. Time to start digging around.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who are the main online sellers of captive bred angels? I see Biota sells direct to consumer now and LiveAquaria has them every now and then.

I've been looking for any pygmy ones outside of Coral Beauties, but haven't had any luck. Some are listed, like Flamebacks and Lemonpeels, but are out of stock. Has COVID impacted captive bred hatchery production, too?

My LFS does not selling nearly anything captive bred.

Thanks!
Same ive been looking for captive bred flamebacks but no luck.

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POMA Labs is notorious for their bigger captive bred angels, but of course those are mega expensive. For Dwarfs, I would say your best best might be to ask if they could order one from Biota or ORA, I see they have the Cherub and Flameback as "New" *although I don't know how new lol*

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Biota Coral Beauty
2. Biota Goldflake Angel
3. Biota Multibar Angel
4. Biota Majestic Angel
5. ORA Coral Beauty
6. ORA Atlantic Cherub
7. ORA African Flameback
8. Poma Labs Singapore Angel
9. Poma Labs Blue Line Angel
10. Bali Aquarich Goldflake Angel (my plan for a pair once I get a 200-220G tank)
11. Bali Aquarich Colin’s Angel
12. Bali Aquarich Venustus Angel
13. Bali Aquarich Cortez Angel
14. Bali Aquarich Scribbled Angel
15. Bali Aquarich Blue Line Angel
16. Bali Aquarich Majestic Angel

These are the ones I know.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
POMA Labs is notorious for their bigger captive bred angels, but of course those are mega expensive. For Dwarfs, I would say your best best might be to ask if they could order one from Biota or ORA, I see they have the Cherub and Flameback as "New" *although I don't know how new lol*
I was trying to get a flameback from ORA awhile back but they were all out

OP
OP
tuggerlake26

tuggerlake26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I had heard, the coral beauties were easier to breed in larger batches, and the flameback/argi angels were more specialized (something about the troughs they use).

Biota does have lemonpeel and colin's angels right now. If only lemonpeels were reef safe. Colin's is expensive, but actually not a bad price considering most of the wild caught ones are priced about the same.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a Chinese hobbyist and the wholesaler’s here get the captive bred Colin’s with some regularity. Since the wild ones are notoriously difficult to keep captive bred I feel is really the way to go for Colin’s and other difficult species like Multibars, Venusta, Bicolor, Golden and so on. Another dwarf that is captive bred by Bali Aquarich and appears on wholesaler’s lists here is the Lemonpeel x Half Black hybrid. I have also seen captive bred Multibars from them but only on two occasions, dang wish they were a lot more available.

As for captive bred large angels we get Majestics and Goldflakes all the time, and I am personally interested in these two. I have also seen captive bred Clarion, Blue Line, Asfur, Maculosus, Scribbled, Cortez, and occasionally Passers. Unfortunately some are too big for average tanks.

One angel I really want captive bred and in large quantities is the Regal, especially the Red Sea variant with the yellow belly.

My dream tank will be angelfish dominant with almost exclusively captive bred dwarf and large angels (up to 4-5 maybe but none of the ones that get huge), maybe a Genicanthus or too but those will be the only wild caught ones.

Back