Captive bred Mandarine Goby

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had a captive bred Mandarine Goby? What was your experience with it? Do they really eat frozen and dry food well? Live very long? Thanks...

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received one yesterday, I made it a point to read just about everything I could find on the fish. It is the fish that made me get in to reefing. The keys to the fish from what I read is Copepod and lots of live rock, lots of live rock means a bigger tank. I have spent the past 2 months dumping Copepods in my refuge to prepare for the fish. My next step is to start cultivating them but in the mean time I order online. Yesterday I attempted to do some frozen and some pellet food. It appears that the Mandarin was not in to it (could be due to jet lag). My risk adverse personality is to always plan for the worst. In the case of this fish, live copepods or vitamin enriched live brine shrimp.

Colin_1122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking to get one as well. My tank is only about 30 gallons so I don’t think I can support a mandarin unless it really does eat frozen or pellets. They are such cool fish and I would love to get one

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 260 DT with a 90 half sump half fuge, and around 300-350 lbs of live rock so I have a ton of pods, you see them crawling around my sand in the DT when the lights are off, and my jumbo mandarin (he's around 4" long) is doing great. I would dose pods if you don't have a lot, and make sure it will have places to hide, because IME they can be very shy.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I think you should try and feed mainly with pods, algae barn who sells "Biota captive bred mandarins" also feed them this:

This is what they say about it:

AlgaeBarn regularly feeds Can O' Cyclops and Nano Brine to the Biota Captive Bred Mandarin fish at our facilities. This practice helps ensure that these mandarins will accept a readily available and storable dry food. We highly suggest that if you have any small fish, or if you have purchased a captive bred mandarin from us, that you try out Can O' Cyclops. Did you know that Mandarin fish feed in similar ways to a humming bird -- constantly eating all day. By supplementing their diet with prepared food at regular periods in the day, the mandarin fish can consume several "big" meals while constantly snacking on live copepods. This will help ensure that the mandarins are consuming a sufficient amount of calories to grow and develop.

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had a captive bred Mandarine Goby? What was your experience with it? Do they really eat frozen and dry food well? Live very long? Thanks...
I just got a BIOTA captive bred last week. He came in SMALL. Small enough that I'm Scared. He currently is living in a breeder box in my tank and eats frozen cyclops and can o cyclops by zoo med (I freeze it and cut the frozen into cubes) so far he's a tough little bugger

OP
OP
tweeter

tweeter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine that I got disappeared, never to be seen again.....

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 58.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.4%
Back