Captive Bred Regal Angels

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so Zionas, they were really close vs Netherlands, that was disappointing, the game vs Germany in 2018 was incredible.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surely Mexico could have reached the semifinals in that World Cup, it was a shame. Now I think that France and Belgium are the best teams, England is close behind. But okay, let's put football aside here, does anyone have more pictures of regal angelfishes? For me, this is an extraordinary advance, Chelmon rostratum was also recently bred in captivity, and that is incredible.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They finally bred C. rostratum again? Dang, should’ve waited before getting mine. Captive breeding is certainly getting much more advanced in the fish, who knows we may see some of our “Expert only” fish become “moderate” in care in the future.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny you mentioned this because a lot of people have trouble keeping wild caught Clownfish, and the reason why Clowns are so widely perceived as “beginner fish” is largely due to captive breeding. If all we got were wild Clownfish, I’m sure the perception would be quite different.

However, ideally I would only ever buy Clowns (at least for the mass produced Ocellaris and Percula) that descend directly from wild parents, the broodstock of which are a wild pair. Better colors.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, here’s a question: Has anyone successfully kept a trio of Regals, with all three starting from juveniles? Scott W. Michael mentions that while photographers usually see pairs in the wild, the core social unit of Regals wherever numbers are abundant is the harem.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zionas, I have not seen a wild percula clownfish for a long time, however I saw them when I was a teenager and with jobs I could buy damsels, they are magnificent fish and for some time I have wanted a good size couple.
By the way, John Coppolino kept a trio of regals several years ago, but I don't know if he kept the fish from juveniles.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah right now they’re hard to find, because most Clownfish are captive bred already. But the wild ones have very beautiful bars and very vibrant orange color, the captive bred ones have less vibrant colors.

By the way, I have not tried contacting copps again, maybe I should? He never seems to reply.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He probably has so many messages that it's impossible for him to answer them, I know that he has been sent by a PM for more than a year and he never answered it, only a question I asked him in one of his threads, that day I was very happy, lol.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. Yeah. Maybe I should try again? He has such an amazing collection of fish and knowledge on top of that. Something we cannot hope to match in a lifetime. It’s also great he’s had people in his life who not only tolerated, but encouraged his hobby. That helps a lot too. In my country (China) I always say the reefing hobby in total is younger than the lifespan of a Clownfish. Very few people even know about the hobby. I can’t do freshwater again now that I have joined the saltwater side. It’s so much more and so much better.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it and we will see what happens, to be honest, I have no idea how I can have it in my fb contacts, it seems to never enter there, so lucky or not, I hope that soon there will be news from him and of course, take a pencil and paper every time who comments on their experiences.
I agree with you, saltwater is unmatched, and marine systems far exceed any fresh water project you present, however I still keep some fish here, when it comes to freshwater I like unusual fish, I have a couple of Golden lasser Corydoras, and until recently I had a Kubotai loach, I have known about these fish for years and I have never seen them in the country, well, there you have an example, I will never buy guppies in my life ;Shifty.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate guppies! Haha.

But yeah I’ll try contacting John again and see if he gets back to me. He is not only a seasoned veteran hobbyist himself, he has also worked with the scientific and business sides of the hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back