captive bred stocking for a 180

kstripp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

It is long overdue, but I'm finally looking to add more fish to my tank. I feel like I'm a bit unusual here in that I do not have a 'dream fish' that I want to keep, or even much of a specific list in mind. Mainly I just want a vibrant reef community. There are a couple constraints though - specifically in the form of a maroon clown and a purple tang, both of which came with the tank. From what I've heard, both can be aggressive. They both *mostly* leave the "aiptasia eating" file fish (surprise - he doesn't do that) alone, though the clown does make a dash at him every now and then.

So with that in mind, any suggestions for what I should add next? Ideally I'd like them to be fairly hardy (I am still pretty inexperienced here). If they can help contribute to the overall health of the tank (think algae eaters, sand sifters/detritus eaters, pest eaters, etc), that would be even better. I also only want to get captive bred fish, as sustainability is very important to us.

Right now I am looking at getting 2 - 3 Pavo Damsels - I've heard damsels in general can be aggressive but that supposedly the Pavo is peaceful? Will they probably be OK with the clown and tang?

Any other suggestions?

Any advice is welcome

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

It is long overdue, but I'm finally looking to add more fish to my tank. I feel like I'm a bit unusual here in that I do not have a 'dream fish' that I want to keep, or even much of a specific list in mind. Mainly I just want a vibrant reef community. There are a couple constraints though - specifically in the form of a maroon clown and a purple tang, both of which came with the tank. From what I've heard, both can be aggressive. They both *mostly* leave the "aiptasia eating" file fish (surprise - he doesn't do that) alone, though the clown does make a dash at him every now and then.

So with that in mind, any suggestions for what I should add next? Ideally I'd like them to be fairly hardy (I am still pretty inexperienced here). If they can help contribute to the overall health of the tank (think algae eaters, sand sifters/detritus eaters, pest eaters, etc), that would be even better. I also only want to get captive bred fish, as sustainability is very important to us.

Right now I am looking at getting 2 - 3 Pavo Damsels - I've heard damsels in general can be aggressive but that supposedly the Pavo is peaceful? Will they probably be OK with the clown and tang?

Any other suggestions?

Any advice is welcome
Damsels are pretty aggressive, so that is an option. Some angels can be pretty tough as well. Other tangs such as a convict should do ok as well. It's always a gamble adding new fish to an established community, particularly when there are bullies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back