Carbon blocks and chlorine testing

Do you test for chlorine before changing carbon blocks?

  • I test for chlorine after carbon blocks and change them when chlorine passes through

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just change my carbon blocks every 6 months

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    1

Muffin87

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 12, 2019
Messages
471
Reaction score
282
Location
Italy / UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Residual chlorine (no chloramines, only chlorine and chlorine dioxide) in the water mains where I live in Italy is between 0,03 and 0,05 ppm.
Do I need a very good 1 mcr carbon block, or can I just get a cheap 10 or 5 mcr carbon block and replace it once a year?

Is it recommended to test for chlorine after the carbon blocks, or do you simply change them out every 6 or 12 months using some kind of guesswork?

If you have a small 50G, wouldn’t sediment filters and carbon blocks last much longer than a year, since some of them have a life span of 4000 Gallons?
 
Last edited:
You should really try to remove the chlorine from the water before it ever enters the tank so you don't have to worry about it. Carbon is slow to remove chlorine unless you are using a RO/DI setup to filter your water source. Also, liquid water conditioners that remove chlorine work instantly and are very cheap. I'm assuming they are available in Italy.
 
Carbon is slow to remove chlorine unless you are using a RO/DI setup to filter your water source
That's the carbon blocks I'm talking about.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new