Carbon Filtering: Under, Over or Just Right?

So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums?

• Underrated

Votes: 64 13.6%
  • Overrated

Votes: 76 16.2%
  • Just Right

Votes: 329 70.1%

• Total voters

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My limited experience of reefing from 2007 has led me to believe that Carbon is overrated.

Being a long time user of Turf Scrubbers, I find that I don't need carbon. When I have experimented with carbon I find it too "harsh" and my corals either start to die off or withdraw.

In the past when I wanted "clearer" water, I would just fluidised Seachem Purigen and/or Hypersorb.
Now I have a UV and I find I don't have a need for Purigen/Hypersorb, but willing to use it if needed.

ICP tests do not show any elevated levels of undesirable nasties, so either my 2x powerful ATS are stripping them out via my harvesting, or I am just no putting enough nasties in my tank (I don't feed flake food, pallets, etc).

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run carbon 24/7 but stopped about 2 years ago and now run it for 48-72 hours sporadically. I really haven't noticed a difference in water clarity or on ICP tests.

Debating programming my APEX to run it 12 hours/1 day a week or something but not seeing the need.

IamPhins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a BRS reactor, keeps the water crystal clear!
I was having trouble keeping tangs and my LFS suggested my "reactorized" carbon was causing HLLE. I have given up on both the tangs and the carbon reactor for the time being. I am considering using a sump bag but not sure how effective that would be. By the looks of this thread I should probably use the sump bag ; )

Is it a matter of flow rate, or quality of carbon, or ? ? ? that makes reactorizing it more dangerous ?

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people are saying Carbon is overrated and now they only running it once in a while. To be fair.... do we really "need" to run anything 24/7? I went from CPE to carbon and phoguard. I'm not going to remove/replace the carbon/phosguard every few days. I'm going to milk it for as long as I can to see what my tank can handle. If i can leave them in there 1 or 2 weeks before i need to replace it, why not just leave it in there to save myself time and energy.

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums? Underrated, Overrated or Just Right?

I voted “Just Right”. Like everything else, I think it can be done to the point it’s not helpful, thus using it to the point it’s “just right” the key.

2. Do you currently filter your water via carbon and if so how?

I’m in the process of removing some Dino-X from the tank so I’ve got a couple of small bags of Red Sea carbon in 2 of the 4 filter cups on my Reefer 525xl. They’ve made a huge difference in the clarity of my water.

Attachments

• 706F9382-0431-4AA5-9633-2973A5795324.jpeg
    706F9382-0431-4AA5-9633-2973A5795324.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 97

kaceyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS Rox 0.8 and GFO at 1/2 cup each in a Phosban 150 24/7 and change it once a month. I put carbon under the GFO with 2 foam filters between them so the GFO can be slightly fluidized and the carbon stays put. I think I getgood results from each that way.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20+ years and I’ve been using carbon. The NYOS Torq reactor is one of the best inventions I’ve seen to implement using it. My two cents anyway.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said under rated because nothing beats crystal clear water. I had always used marineland or other cheap brands in the past. During a sale, I decided to try BRS ignight, and was blown away by how clear my water was the next day. Crazy differance! No more cheap carbon for me. Ever since seeing what good carbon can do, I'm saying it's underrated. I just assumed they were all about the same and the rest was marketing. But I was mistaken. get the good stuff! haha.

I run it in a reactor in my sump.

maxexp756

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who runs carbon with tangs and how much and what type do you run?
I run 400 ml of Red Sea carbon and 200 ml gfo in an aquamaxx reactor. I try to change it out every 2 weeks. And I run the return into my filter sock If any carbon escaped it gets caught. If you mix gfo with carbon you can pin it between 2 sponges and it won’t clump up. I have a blue hippo tang and a scopas in my 60 gallon display. I wouldnt run a reef tank without it. I’m currently setting up a 20 gallon mixed reef and I plan to implement carbon somehow

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back