Carbon with tangs

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I'm putting a very small tomini tang into my system, should I remove carbon from my canister filter?

Thanks,
Will

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem would be if the carbon is extremely dusty. I am a big fan of red sea carbon as it has practically no dust and is very cheap. However, I would not be that concerned

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I will stick out my neck to potential ridicule. I do not believe that carbon is the cause. In tomini tangs I do not see a lot of hlle to begin with. Feed a good diet, use a ground probe, because stray electricity can stress them and cause that, and you should be fine.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I will stick out my neck to potential ridicule. I do not believe that carbon is the cause. In tomini tangs I do not see a lot of hlle to begin with. Feed a good diet, use a ground probe, because stray electricity can stress them and cause that, and you should be fine.
Thanks, I have HLLE on my purple tang in my 75g, we had electricity flow in it however we eliminated it. Should we still get a ground probe? Thanks.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have HLLE on my purple tang in my 75g, we had electricity flow in it however we eliminated it. Should we still get a ground probe? Thanks.

I would put a ground probe in every tank. They are an inexpensive piece of safety equipment. What are you feeding the purple tang? You should be able to reverse the hlle.

OP
OP
William Spak

William Spak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a ground probe in every tank. They are an inexpensive piece of safety equipment. What are you feeding the purple tang? You should be able to reverse the hlle.
I put VitaChem on seaweed strips, and I occasionally feed it mysis and spirulina shrimp. I've been all over this website trying to fix him and nothing has worked. I was recently recommended macro algae? We also have over the back filters so maybe upgrading those?

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good diet. I have not tried vita chem, Selcon has worked great for me. I also tried Kent Zoecon. But everyone has varying opinions on supplements. If you are in an area with more knowledgeable LFS they may have live black worms . I try to feed worms 1-2 times a week. Tangs are vegetarian, but i try to get at least 20-30% meat in their diet.

Next supply run I recommend trying to throw 1 more food into the mix. these I have good results with. Hikari mega algae and ocean nutrition formula two. Also have not used but check out LRS herbivore frenzy

If your filters are working fine I don’t see a reason to cha unless you are looking to upgrade or just want a change

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a GFCI?
Ground fault circuit interrupter. Called RCDs in Europe.

It's an outlet you've probably seen in unfinished areas, kitchens, and bathrooms. They cut power if they detect a difference between what should be going through the hot and neutral sides.

Back