Carnation Coral Adventure

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO SO I JUST GOT CARNATION CORAL HASDIFNASJGSF I got it yesterday and so far its pretty good. Now I bought this expecting it to die on me eventually but I just wanted to have this experience. it was gonna die at lfs anyways. Hopefully it doesn't tho. So I'm currently feeding reef roids daily and adding phyto feast, roti feast, and oyster feast every 3 hours ( except sleep). I will be documenting its life in my tank. I put it directly under powerhead hanging upside down from a rock.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todayyesterdat
9D69C25E-633B-4C32-BA2D-BA5B9A8E4401.jpeg

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is the most challenging part .
as long as you can get food to it . It should be good
yes i agree. Ive also purchased reef blizzard o. Another challenge is probably keeping nitrates and phosphates from spiking due to so much food

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I have no issues with some NPS like sun coral and some gorgonians, but have failed miserably both times with carnation. Beautiful corals though wish i could do it.

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your Carnation located? Is it towards the middle - to- top? I moved my Carnation from the bottom to the middle portion of the tank and it definitely showed it enjoyed the move. I do feed it twice a day with a mix of live baby shrimp, live rotifers, PhytoFeast and Roti-Feast (when I'm between live culture harvesting). I did manage to have it feast during better feeding times versus when lights are out though.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is your Carnation located? Is it towards the middle - to- top? I moved my Carnation from the bottom to the middle portion of the tank and it definitely showed it enjoyed the move. I do feed it twice a day with a mix of live baby shrimp, live rotifers, PhytoFeast and Roti-Feast (when I'm between live culture harvesting). I did manage to have it feast during better feeding times versus when lights are out though.
it is located near the middle of the tank right under a powerhead

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just fed reef blizzard. Seems slightly shriveled up.

Attachments

• 6DDCA026-551C-4E2D-A3B6-CFE39E0DD2BC.jpeg
    6DDCA026-551C-4E2D-A3B6-CFE39E0DD2BC.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 53

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the flow from the powerhead going over the coral? i have the flow going over versus directly at. beyond the coral not having symbiotic algae zooxanthellae, i generally feed two ways--broadcast and direct. i don't turn down the water flow in the tank when going either way. for direct you can try getting a BPA-free bottle and cut out the bottom portion of it. then directly place the bottle over the coral and then feed with your food choice through the narrow opening....the isolation of the bottle should give the coral a chance to "grab" the food particles.

have you tried other foods like phytoplankton (nanno/tetra)? do you have a pods population (tisbe b.)?

when i apply a late broadcast feed with live phytoplankton, the lights tend to be off but i do see the coral ready for food though.

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the flow from the powerhead going over the coral? i have the flow going over versus directly at. beyond the coral not having symbiotic algae zooxanthellae, i generally feed two ways--broadcast and direct. i don't turn down the water flow in the tank when going either way. for direct you can try getting a BPA-free bottle and cut out the bottom portion of it. then directly place the bottle over the coral and then feed with your food choice through the narrow opening....the isolation of the bottle should give the coral a chance to "grab" the food particles.

have you tried other foods like phytoplankton (nanno/tetra)? do you have a pods population (tisbe b.)?

when i apply a late broadcast feed with live phytoplankton, the lights tend to be off but i do see the coral ready for food though.
yeah so idk what happened maybe it was just poked cuz today it looks much fluffier and I can see all the polyps out :) I do have pods

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice btw are you gonna try the live oyster thing too like he did?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back