Carnation Coral Adventure

atomos

52 32 52 20 52 6f 63 6b 73
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah so idk what happened maybe it was just poked cuz today it looks much fluffier and I can see all the polyps out :) I do have pods
good to hear...by the sounds of it, your coral should be fine....post more pics when it's feeling like its fluffy-self too.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! I got one a couple weeks ago, and it is still doing well! I feed it about every other day too so as long as it is getting food throughout the week it will be fine. Amino Acids will help as well nutrients in the water (I carbon dose which helps the corals receive more Nitrates, and they consume more bacteria, etc.) Hope things go well!

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post another soon
F8B35671-2462-4ACF-AC8B-C1642507BA73.jpeg

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw reefbuilders paper about this coral. Apparently they moved around detritus for coral to eat. Thoghts? They compared it to marine snow

atomos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly follows what's been said about Carnation Corals filtering nutrients from the water column. Additionally there are two articles (one by Algaebarn that is a great read) and another one published by researchers from Stanford that talked about Carnation Corals and their feeding requirements albeit short in reference but along the lines provided by the Reef Builders and Algaebarn.

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw reefbuilders paper about this coral. Apparently they moved around detritus for coral to eat. Thoghts? They compared it to marine snow
Yeah I read that article too. Yeah, mine has done well, and I’m only spot feeding it 2-3 times a week (initially I fed it more). But detritus, and carbon dosing seems to be sufficient. Also I have been using live rock enhance, which are live microbial enzymes/bacterioplankton. And it is mostly for cleaning the pores of my rocks, but helps corals too. BUT there also reef enhance which helps mostly corals and corals a bit.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ReefBuilders article you refer to this one?:

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/07/fundraising-captive-dendronephthya/

If not, can you provide a link?

Stirring up detritus to help maintain these corals was first documented by Peter Wilkins back in the 1970's and so is nothing new (although information like this tends to be forgotten over time if not regularly practiced). Apparently, he was successful keeping a few specimens alive for many years, but I don't know if noticeable growth was observed.

These corals feed not only on the organic particles themselves, but also on the nutritious microfauna/microflora that are attached. As far as target feeding them goes, scientific studies have shown that some species feed mostly on phytoplankton, while others feed mostly on zooplankton. Since there are a great many different species of Dendronephthya, Scleronephthya (and others), knowing which species one has is very difficult to determine and so is it's major food preference. As a result, many have tried feeding a blend of different foods hoping that enough of the right one(s) are ingested.

I am currently working with a Scleronephthya species in a very mature, unfiltered mixed nano reef and although it's been a few months now I can't say I've been successful yet. A typical scenario for these corals is that they can look okay for a few months due to stored energy reserves, but due to incorrect/inadequate nutrition they slowly starve and few make it past the six month mark.

Personally, I consider that someone is successful with this coral if they can:

1. Keep it healthy for one year or longer

and...

2. Document growth (not just a matter of 'it's larger now', which is typically due mostly to inflating with water, but actual growth determined by increased polyp counts and sprouting of offspring from the base and creeping tendrils.

Good luck with yours!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the ReefBuilders article you refer to this one?:

https://reefbuilders.com/2014/04/07/fundraising-captive-dendronephthya/

If not, can you provide a link?

Stirring up detritus to help maintain these corals was first documented by Peter Wilkins back in the 1970's and so is nothing new (although information like this tends to be forgotten over time if not regularly practiced). Apparently, he was successful keeping a few specimens alive for many years, but I don't know if noticeable growth was observed.

These corals feed not only on the organic particles themselves, but also on the nutritious microfauna/microflora that are attached. As far as target feeding them goes, scientific studies have shown that some species feed mostly on phytoplankton, while others feed mostly on zooplankton. Since there are a great many different species of Dendronephthya, Scleronephthya (and others), knowing which species one has is very difficult to determine and so is it's major food preference. As a result, many have tried feeding a blend of different foods hoping that enough of the right one(s) are ingested.

I am currently working with a Scleronephthya species in a very mature, unfiltered mixed nano reef and although it's been a few months now I can't say I've been successful yet. A typical scenario for these corals is that they can look okay for a few months due to stored energy reserves, but due to incorrect/inadequate nutrition they slowly starve and few make it past the six month mark.

Personally, I consider that someone is successful with this coral if they can:

1. Keep it healthy for one year or longer

and...

2. Document growth (not just a matter of 'it's larger now', which is typically due mostly to inflating with water, but actual growth determined by increased polyp counts and sprouting of offspring from the base and creeping tendrils.

Good luck with yours!
Thanks :) i was talking about this one. https://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/29/preliminary-success-dendonephthya-carnation-corals/

OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also for food, i see many people saying they use roti feast and oyster feast, but no one really mentions phyto feast. Can phyto feast still be used?

atomos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
PokeFish

PokeFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would i track polyps. Maybe. I count all of them

You could just pick an obvious small branch and count those polypsand see if the count changes over time. The growth and tendril spread at the base is perhaps an easier indicator of growth to keep track of and is what I look at, mostly If the tendrils are spreading and new sprigs are being produced, then the coral has received enough nutrition beyond just 'maintaining' itself.

Careful observation of photos and videos of NPS corals in nature shows how profuse the spread can be under the right conditions:

wfm-dpr53306.jpg

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/26/raja-ampat-nps-heaven/

Seeing these images brings home the fact that we still have a long way to go...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back