Carr Fire Survivor

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning from Redding, California. It has been a while since I have been on R2R. We just had our internet restored yesterday. It has been a rough road since July 26, 2018. That is the day our house burned down in the Carr Fire. We received the evacuation call at 5:00 a.m. My husband had already been called out at 1:00 a.m. to do evacuations with Search and Rescue. He called me and told me not to go to work, that the fire was coming fast and furious. We were able to get the cats, pictures, important paperwork out of the house but I had to leave behind my RedSea Max 260 aquarium. It was only a year and a few months old, you know, finally hitting the stage where you can enjoy it and everything seems to be working beautifully? When we were finally able to get back to the property, there was nothing left, I mean nothing. I could not even find melted glass from the tank. The only recognizable thing was the burned up generator that we had left running for the tank, in the hopes that we would be able to come back home.
We are living in a 20 ft trailer right now while we go through the process of negotiating with the insurance company (that is a trial in itself) and start the rebuilding process. Yesterday we stopped into our LFS, NorCal Corals. It felt like coming home, seeing our friends there and looking at all the corals and fish. It was inspiring to talk with them about how we want to start over and do an amazing build into the wall tank. I am so excited to get started on this new tank, visualizing what it will look like in the new house. You will be able to see through it from the dining room to the living room and it will be bigger!! I am thankful for the expertise of our LFS and look forward to working with them to get our new tank up and running. I know it will be a while and we still don't have permit ready plans, but at least I have something to look forward to. Which has inspired me to post this thread and I will try to do updates as things move along. For now I will post pictures in memory of my beautiful RedSea tank.

20170909_140210.jpg

20170909_140240.jpg

20171024_204230.jpg

20171105_095123.jpg

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You survived the fire, that's the most important thing. Now that is over with hopefully the insurance company won't be to much of a pain to deal with, they don't like having to give money back.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss and all the frustration I'm sure you are going through. Hang in there. Your friends here at Reef2Reef will be happy to hear from you as things move forward. Best of luck! Maia looks at tank.JPG

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you...when you lose everything, what really is priceless...your family and friends. Stuff can be replaced. :)

Humbling post. Glad to hear you and your family are on the rebound!

It reminds all of us that we have little control over our world, even though we go through each day thinking we do.

When life is hard and at times difficult, my tank and the hobby distracts me from my problems. My family is my rock. My wife is my best friend, my kids are a blessing, and grandkids are my future. These flipper heads don't care about anything and are always willing to give love and kisses:

IMG_20190302_162303.jpg

When rock bottom, there is no where but to rise from the ashes and fly again!

OP
OP
H

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humbling post. Glad to hear you and your family are on the rebound!

It reminds all of us that we have little control over our world, even though we go through each day thinking we do.

When life is hard and at times difficult, my tank and the hobby distracts me from my problems. My family is my rock. My wife is my best friend, my kids are a blessing, and grandkids are my future. These flipper heads don't care about anything and are always willing to give love and kisses:

IMG_20190302_162303.jpg

When rock bottom, there is no where but to rise from the ashes and fly again!
I LOVE Boxers!!! They are great dogs. I agree, my faith and my family are my firm foundation!!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE Boxers!!! They are great dogs. I agree, my faith and my family are my firm foundation!!

They're Psychopath's! Lol

Yes, my faith has carried me through hell and back!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning from Redding, California. It has been a while since I have been on R2R. We just had our internet restored yesterday. It has been a rough road since July 26, 2018. That is the day our house burned down in the Carr Fire. We received the evacuation call at 5:00 a.m. My husband had already been called out at 1:00 a.m. to do evacuations with Search and Rescue. He called me and told me not to go to work, that the fire was coming fast and furious. We were able to get the cats, pictures, important paperwork out of the house but I had to leave behind my RedSea Max 260 aquarium. It was only a year and a few months old, you know, finally hitting the stage where you can enjoy it and everything seems to be working beautifully? When we were finally able to get back to the property, there was nothing left, I mean nothing. I could not even find melted glass from the tank. The only recognizable thing was the burned up generator that we had left running for the tank, in the hopes that we would be able to come back home.
We are living in a 20 ft trailer right now while we go through the process of negotiating with the insurance company (that is a trial in itself) and start the rebuilding process. Yesterday we stopped into our LFS, NorCal Corals. It felt like coming home, seeing our friends there and looking at all the corals and fish. It was inspiring to talk with them about how we want to start over and do an amazing build into the wall tank. I am so excited to get started on this new tank, visualizing what it will look like in the new house. You will be able to see through it from the dining room to the living room and it will be bigger!! I am thankful for the expertise of our LFS and look forward to working with them to get our new tank up and running. I know it will be a while and we still don't have permit ready plans, but at least I have something to look forward to. Which has inspired me to post this thread and I will try to do updates as things move along. For now I will post pictures in memory of my beautiful RedSea tank.

20170909_140210.jpg

20170909_140240.jpg

20171024_204230.jpg

20171105_095123.jpg

Sorry to hear your story - hope everything works out well:). Your tank was very nice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My daughter has one - at some times he seems like the stupidest dog on earth. If you call him - he will literally stand there looking at you. BUT - he is the cutest dog I have ever seen. Some of his behavior is so funny.

OP
OP
H

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter has one - at some times he seems like the stupidest dog on earth. If you call him - he will literally stand there looking at you. BUT - he is the cutest dog I have ever seen. Some of his behavior is so funny.

Oh my gosh that was the funniest video!!! What a great looking dog. :)

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sad to read about what you've been through, but thank God you and your family escaped without harm. Thanks for sharing and in due time, you'll get things back to "normal", whatever that may look like.

Gonebad395

Anemone hound
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow where to start first off so sorry to hear of your loss of your home and normality of life so to say truly no words said here for the sorrow I feel for you and your family having to start over I couldn’t imagine. Also sorry about your tank but it’s something that can be replaced. I wish you and you’re family and best of luck working with the insurance company to replace what they can for you. Please stick around and keep us updated.

517B7CB3-BAA6-4A65-B801-0189DAA3A67E.gif

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back