Carr Fire Survivor

PTXReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, tomorrow is the two year anniversary of the Carr Fire and I thought I would post an update. It took us a year to finally get the insurance company to come around and pay out the coverages that we had been paying for. We are now in the framing stage of the rebuild and it is exciting to see the progress every day.

Tyler from NorCal Corals has already been out and we have our plan in place for the new tank. I am SO EXCITED!! I have actually taken over a closet so that a lot of the equipment can go in there. I have asked Tyler to build the tank the most maintenance free as possible. I am getting older (just turned 60...YIKES) and water changes are difficult considering the weight of 5 gallon buckets of water...lol.

I am replacing my RedSea with a Crystal Dynamics Custom 180 gallon 2 sided starfire tank. I have a question...I had sand in the RedSea, but I have seen some builds on this site that had little pebbles. What are the pros and cons of pebbles versus sand? I don't think I will get a gobbie again, they bury everything and I am hoping to have corals on the bottom and not just on the rocks.

I am so happy to be back on this site and anticipate sharing with you the stages of the build of our new tank. Thank you all for your sincere concern and well wishes. We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. :)

Welcome back to R2R! Definitely an exciting time and glad that everything is working out!
Happy Reefing and keep us posted!

giphy.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I remember this. First got settled now?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, tomorrow is the two year anniversary of the Carr Fire and I thought I would post an update. It took us a year to finally get the insurance company to come around and pay out the coverages that we had been paying for. We are now in the framing stage of the rebuild and it is exciting to see the progress every day.

Tyler from NorCal Corals has already been out and we have our plan in place for the new tank. I am SO EXCITED!! I have actually taken over a closet so that a lot of the equipment can go in there. I have asked Tyler to build the tank the most maintenance free as possible. I am getting older (just turned 60...YIKES) and water changes are difficult considering the weight of 5 gallon buckets of water...lol.

I am replacing my RedSea with a Crystal Dynamics Custom 180 gallon 2 sided starfire tank. I have a question...I had sand in the RedSea, but I have seen some builds on this site that had little pebbles. What are the pros and cons of pebbles versus sand? I don't think I will get a gobbie again, they bury everything and I am hoping to have corals on the bottom and not just on the rocks.

I am so happy to be back on this site and anticipate sharing with you the stages of the build of our new tank. Thank you all for your sincere concern and well wishes. We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. :)
Sounds like an awesome build.
I run bare bottom in my 120 and sand in my lagoon/frag system.
I also run a no scheduled water change system.
Bare bottom makes life super easy and is very low maintenance.
By the way I too live in Redding.
Welcome back!

OP
OP
H

HM1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, It has been three and half years since the fire. the attached photos are of the new tank from both sides. It is built into the wall. It has its own closet for the fresh and salt water and all that stuff underneath. I am learning how to take care of it myself and totally enjoying it. Thank you all for replying to my original post. It has been a journey but I can honestly say it has been worth it.

20220220_085044.jpg 20220220_085059.jpg 20210904_090705.jpg 20211219_212218.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, It has been three and half years since the fire. the attached photos are of the new tank from both sides. It is built into the wall. It has its own closet for the fresh and salt water and all that stuff underneath. I am learning how to take care of it myself and totally enjoying it. Thank you all for replying to my original post. It has been a journey but I can honestly say it has been worth it.

20220220_085044.jpg
Great to see recovery

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220220_085044.jpg 20220220_085059.jpg 20210904_090705.jpg 20211219_212218.jpg

Welcome! Glad you gave an update. You have great BBA - Bounce Back Ability! It is great for this hobby and great for life. I'm sorry for all your losses, but wow - seems you are doing GREAT now - thanks for sharing photos.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back