Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s epic for a nano!
Thanks, I love it!! It’s really old, JBJ hasn’t made anything like this for about 10 years now. Not sure why, as heat is the only issue...and that’s easily solved with a fan! It’s acrylic though, and a little scratched up. Not sure what the previous owner was using to clean it, but I think possibly steel wool ;Dead

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I love it!! It’s really old, JBJ hasn’t made anything like this for about 10 years now. Not sure why, as heat is the only issue...and that’s easily solved with a fan! It’s acrylic though, and a little scratched up. Not sure what the previous owner was using to clean it, but I think possibly steel wool ;Dead
Hey man.. I’d take a scratched up nano with a MH over a brand new Whatever with junk led’s any day!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.s. that thing would be the ultimate vivarium light! I need to find one now! Lol
Quarantine project
EF1E8D82-1FEA-4F77-80F6-B1EDB539C394.jpeg

plants get here in the morning! Can’t wait !!!!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hijack.. nice job on lid mag!!
chunk of monti,chunk of monti,chunk of monti,hemm
get back to work scott..LOL .night all

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man.. I’d take a scratched up nano with a MH over a brand new Whatever with junk led’s any day!
Same here! Got the entire setup with light and (magnetic ;Hilarious) ballast and pumps and stand for $125. Even has built in redundancy: 2 returns! Can not believe how lucky I was, didn’t know anything about the hobby when I started. But zero coral losses so far, and they all grow like weeds :)

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hijack.. nice job on lid mag!!
chunk of monti,chunk of monti,chunk of monti,hemm
get back to work scott..LOL .night all
Thank you sir, only cracked it once ;)

he still has that monti doesn’t he ;Hilarious

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have over it now? That thing is SWEET
Thank you! I worked super hard on it! Haha, and learned a new hobby in record time!
That’s my old custom biocube 32 light. Waiting for my vivarium led to come in the mail.

he still has that monti doesn’t he ;Hilarious
Of course I have the monti! Lol. I fragged it too. I have 6 frags ready to go and the whole colony! Shipping is my issue. Last time it cost me $130 and the coral was stolen. I was giving it away for free to a friend. I got burned bad by fedex. Be mad at FedEx when I say I don’t ship. Lol.

If the recipient pays for estimated shipping costs upfront I might reconsider.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I worked super hard on it! Haha, and learned a new hobby in record time!
That’s my old custom biocube 32 light. Waiting for my vivarium led to come in the mail.

Of course I have the monti! Lol. I fragged it too. I have 6 frags ready to go and the whole colony! Shipping is my issue. Last time it cost me $130 and the coral was stolen. I was giving it away for free to a friend. I got burned bad by fedex. Be mad at FedEx when I say I don’t ship. Lol.

@fishguy242 did you hear that?!

someone stole the coral?? Like off the porch, or in route? Did FedEx refund you?

For the vivarium: are you going to do anything wild, like a waterfall and/or fog/mist?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@fishguy242 did you hear that?!

someone stole the coral?? Like off the porch, or in route? Did FedEx refund you?

For the vivarium: are you going to do anything wild, like a waterfall and/or fog/mist?
Somewhere in transit the coral was swapped for motor oil to match the weight. Very shady. Inside job for sure. No one else would have access to a overnight package to my knowledge.

I originally wanted a decent sized water portion in the vivarium but decided against it after more research. It seems like 90% of the hobbyists remove the water part after a few months. It’s difficult to keep it clean and it’s also a risk to poison dart frogs, they aren’t great swimmers. I did get a mistking system, they are like the ecotech of misters, top notch. Very excited about the whole setup! There’s lots of details on my 90gal build thread actually lol, the last 5-10 pages or so if you are interested :) It’s a really cool hobby though; Very similar to reefing in a lot of ways, just keeping a rainforest in a glass box instead of a coral reef. Lol

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere in transit the coral was swapped for motor oil to match the weight. Very shady. Inside job for sure. No one else would have access to a overnight package to my knowledge.

I originally wanted a decent sized water portion in the vivarium but decided against it after more research. It seems like 90% of the hobbyists remove the water part after a few months. It’s difficult to keep it clean and it’s also a risk to poison dart frogs, they aren’t great swimmers. I did get a mistking system, they are like the ecotech of misters, top notch. Very excited about the whole setup! There’s lots of details on my 90gal build thread actually lol, the last 5-10 pages or so if you are interested :) It’s a really cool hobby though; Very similar to reefing in a lot of ways, just keeping a rainforest in a glass box instead of a coral reef. Lol
Wow, **** FedEx and whoever did that. Motor oil..not their first time. Could easily match the weight that way. But I have so many questions - why not just use water? How was oil the easiest swap? Did the coral survive?

Poison dart frogs are really cool though. When I was much younger, I used to teach at home swim lessons. One of my clients had dozens, she was always showing them off. Had several smaller vivariums built into a bookcase, it was wild!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember the whole shipping debacle. Still grinds my gears and I wasn't even involved.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,i didn't get dings when @ tted ,what are the clowns names?
I’ve got Laura (first fish) and Mini-Me for the clowns (because Laura Ingles was a pioneer!). The wrasse is Bruce, and the damsel is Fiji Girl. Cleaner shrimp is Jacques lol

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spammed the whole thread (I’m sure you noticed) and got caught up. Awesome tank!! :D
I noticed scrolling through that your corals look quite a bit more colorful the past couple months, especially those most recent shots! I’ll be following along

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spammed the whole thread (I’m sure you noticed) and got caught up. Awesome tank!! :D
I noticed scrolling through that your corals look quite a bit more colorful the past couple months, especially those most recent shots! I’ll be following along
That’s about how long I’ve been using Red Sea A+B. It’s really made a huge difference imo. Glad someone else noticed and it wasn’t just all in my head!

here’s an example...these nirvanas went into the tank looking ROUGH, but colored right up and started growing.
63AB694C-57FC-442F-9430-7502D6DBF29C.jpeg
36DA87F3-D9B0-4A61-A129-42D0149C0A98.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back