Casa Magellan

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank update:

started dosing Red Sea A+B today. I dosed Fuel for the first year, going to fix what’s not broke and try something new :)

Also added 5 new nassarius snails to help turn over the additional sand I added a few days ago. (New total = 7) Hadn’t put any more sand in there in a year, and in spite of my best efforts a little bit gets removed every time I do a water change.
I’ve been using Red Sea A B for a long time. I actually like it and can see a good response from the corals. But you have to be careful not to overdo it. Use less than they recommend. Sometimes I only use the yellow one (B?). I had a huge cyano and dino outbreak right after starting this. I don’t know if it’s to blame and don’t want to place blame on A B, but now if I use it regularly (after fixing cyano and dinos), I do notice a nice algae bloom. But I was reading a book called Corals, I forget the authors name. In it, it talked about how corals have to get amino acids through the water column as they can’t get them through zooxanthellae. So not knowing if my feeding and fish poop were supplying, I decided to use aminos.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the Red Sea energy A+B... they also tell you to refrigerate after opening, preserves the carbos and aminos. I havent used anything like that in a while tho. I just overfeed like crazy... might should pick up some more micro foods now that I'm getting more SPS.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, makes sense. If my brain is working correctly, which is always questionable, I remember when Chris switched to Red Sea.
Oddly I posted a thread here about RS energy and Chris replied not to overdo it or you’ll get an algae outbreak. I listened to him and used less than recommenced. Way less. And still got an algae bloom. ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Red Sea A B for a long time. I actually like it and can see a good response from the corals. But you have to be careful not to overdo it. Use less than they recommend. Sometimes I only use the yellow one (B?). I had a huge cyano and dino outbreak right after starting this. I don’t know if it’s to blame and don’t want to place blame on A B, but now if I use it regularly (after fixing cyano and dinos), I do notice a nice algae bloom. But I was reading a book called Corals, I forget the authors name. In it, it talked about how corals have to get amino acids through the water column as they can’t get them through zooxanthellae. So not knowing if my feeding and fish poop were supplying, I decided to use aminos.
It says 2ml of each every day as the “minimum” dose, what would you recommend? (That’s what i started with today)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the Red Sea energy A+B... they also tell you to refrigerate after opening, preserves the carbos and aminos. I havent used anything like that in a while tho. I just overfeed like crazy... might should pick up some more micro foods now that I'm getting more SPS.
I have mine in my refrigerator door next to some phyto and my wife cannot stand it. She thinks they have fish water and fish guts all over them for some reason. In which I remind her that her mom is keeping 20 pounds of junk in our freezer because she’s a food hoarder. :rolleyes:

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says 2ml of each every day as the “minimum” dose, what would you recommend? (That’s what i started with today)
I just eyeball it. But I put maybe 1mL-ish but less than 2. I use twice a week at most. I think what got me in trouble was doing it everyday. But RS recommended using nopox (I guess any carbon would be ok) and they also recommend running their whole program. Which of course I do not.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine in my refrigerator door next to some phyto and my wife cannot stand it. She thinks they have fish water and fish guts all over them for some reason. In which I remind her that her mom is keeping 20 pounds of junk in our freezer because she’s a food hoarder. :rolleyes:
Rachel hasn’t said anything to me yet lol but I just doubled the number of fish related bottles in the fridge :p
280A6D57-7BF2-4861-9A04-B41E28E1C285.jpeg

I just eyeball it. But I put maybe 1mL-ish but less than 2. I use twice a week at most. I think what got me in trouble was doing it everyday. But RS recommended using nopox (I guess any carbon would be ok) and they also recommend running their whole program. Which of course I do not.
definitely wont be using this every day then! I dosed fuel every other day but in a lower than recommended dose, it drops o2 saturation rather drastically for some reason.

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta take care of that reaper lol

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rachel hasn’t said anything to me yet lol but I just doubled the number of fish related bottles in the fridge :p
280A6D57-7BF2-4861-9A04-B41E28E1C285.jpeg

definitely wont be using this every day then! I dosed fuel every other day but in a lower than recommended dose, it drops o2 saturation rather drastically for some reason.
As with anything new, go slow and work your way up. I think most of us are pretty in tune with our tanks and can see when things look better or worse. It’s just sometimes waking up to a tank full of freak algae that isn’t fun. ;Rage

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with anything new, go slow and work your way up. I think most of us are pretty in tune with our tanks and can see when things look better or worse. It’s just sometimes waking up to a tank full of freak algae that isn’t fun. ;Rage
I’m going to start with a every 3 days schedule and see how that goes. Unless I wake up tomorrow to a tank full of freak algae!

OP
OP
Magellan

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2. 100liters is 26ish gallons. I use it sparingly. 1x per week. I'm sure I am cautious.
So 2ml once a week, and Scott is dosing twice a week and eyeballing his dose. Somewhere in the middle should suffice ;Hilarious

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back