Centropyge Multifasciatus The Multibar Dwarf Angel

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Multibar dwarf angel is perhaps my most favored of all the dwarf angels, well of the affordable ones anyway. Many will point to the likes of the flame angel as their favorite or one of the other very nice species that are regularly imported and for sale at your LFS. You won't often hear the Multibar angel mentioned in amongst the most desirable of the dwarf angels which in truth is a bit baffling to me. I won't go at length describing the colours or patterns on the fish as I have attached a pic of the one I had to this post. "Had" being the word as I have moved mine on for reasons I will explain. I have broken my tank down due to a disaster while away on holiday which resulted in me losing about 80% and 70% of my fish. Long story but that's it in a nutshell

Now people will tell you the Multibar is a difficult fish to keep and rather shy. This is simply not so in my experience. They can be a little tricky to settle in and get feeding initially but after some weeks settled and eating they are quite hardy. To highlight their hardiness I lost a number of damsels and gobies during my disaster while the multibar survived if a little worse for wear but it has now fully recovered and doing well for the new owner. They do like lots of holes and arches etc to swim through in the reefscape or even hide if they feel threatened. If you provide them with the right habitat they will spend much more time in view in my experience. They are quickly out when food is offered once fully settled in and will eat with gusto.

Multibars are similar in price to the flame angel perhaps a little cheaper here in the UK. However, they are not as common as some of the other dwarf angels. Unfortunately many do not seem to travel so well and there is a question mark over their capture. The may be found deeper on the reef than some of the other dwarfs as I have seen some for sale with obvious swim bladder problems. Also, unless acclimatized for a few weeks in the LFS leave it be. I would advise against buying an adult specimen with IMO an ideal size being 2.1/2 "to 3"l. The specimen should have been in the LFS for a number of weeks alert and eating a variety of foods with no signs of any physical damage of course.

Once your fish is settled in and eating well and after around 6 weeks you should be over the danger period when it is most likely to lose the fish after which it should be quite hardy. The Multibar should be fed a little and often, I fed my tank at least 3 times a day and more often 4 times. I fed among others, my homemade food plus frozen rotifers, brine shrimp small mysis, lobster fish and oyster eggs. These little jewels are slow growers and their tank mates should be chosen carefully. These fish are easily bullied at first having said that my damsels took little notice of it when introduced just a bit of initial chasing for the first day with no serious attacks or damage done. I won't go on about parameters as it goes without saying water quality should be very good as with all angelfish.

The Multibar angel represents a challenge but it is not as difficult as many make out and well add something different to the normal dwarf angels with its black stripped vertical markings against its white background

One more important point if you have acans sooner or later they will start pecking at them so do be warned. However, mine never showed the slightest interest in any other of my corals LPS SPS or softies.
20170617_183055.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally never seen one and it sure is beautiful! Thanks for the write up!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Not doubting your experience, but the ones I see at LFS never seem to eat; and a local reefer who has kept a few rates them as very difficult to maintain because they are so picky. I'd be curious what tank you've kept them in, whether multiples or just one, and notably with which tankmates. I have always assumed, being somewhat cryptic, that boisterous tankmates would be a no no. Regardless, a stunning fish, I agree.

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 4 about 3 years ago. At first I bought one. Got it home and it wouldn’t eat or come out. I did some reading/research and found out they do better in groups. So I go to lfs which is 2.5 hours away. I asked to see the others eat. Out of about 7 I saw 4 eat. They were priced at $35 each so I did find it odd the guy offered them to be for 3/$50. I bought the 3 that were eating most aggressively. I took them home and acclimated and put right into tank(at this time I didn’t qt). For weeks they did fine even bringing out the 1st one I bought. Then one by one they all started died. They never stopped eating. Can’t say for sure what happened but they were awesome fish. Even shoaled together. I wouldn’t mind another but I have acans.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Not doubting your experience, but the ones I see at LFS never seem to eat; and a local reefer who has kept a few rates them as very difficult to maintain because they are so picky. I'd be curious what tank you've kept them in, whether multiples or just one, and notably with which tankmates. I have always assumed, being somewhat cryptic, that boisterous tankmates would be a no no. Regardless, a stunning fish, I agree.

The following videos of my tank might convince you.

The larger one I made a BIG mistake with. I bought it about 6 months after the first and I never asked to see it feeding and it never fed plus it showed symptoms of swim bladder issues. I should have studied it more closely as I did with the first but it came from the same LFS as the one that is still going strong and doing very well for the new owner. I will never do that again that's for sure and I usually make sure the fish is feeding in the LFS before buying. Stupid mistake on my part.

Last edited:

spartanman22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multibars are my favorite dwarf angel. I have had many in the past, and IME they are 50/50 hit or miss on eating. I’ve had some that are like pigs from day 1. Didn’t matter if it was frozen cubes, pellets, etc. I’ve also had some that would never eat a thing.

So I wouldn’t suggest these unless you have a mature tank that can support a grazer until you can get them eating. I got a trio from PIA last year. Gorgeous group, the smallest being about 1” and the largest 3.5”. They wouldn’t eat a dang thing. I probably spent $150+ in a months time on anything and everything I could think of to feed them: fresh clams, squid, mussels, roe, every frozen food I could get my hands on, nutrimar ova, cyclopeez. I even would gel up raw fish food and mash it into snail shells and freeze them to mimic grazing tendencies.

They never ate and eventually faded away. These guys were also already eating when I bought them from PIA, but the stress of shipping must have set them back.

Moral of the story, in my personal experience they can be a pain to get eating. But if you can find one at an LFS that’s eating already then they are generally quite hardy.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multibars are my favorite dwarf angel. I have had many in the past, and IME they are 50/50 hit or miss on eating. I’ve had some that are like pigs from day 1. Didn’t matter if it was frozen cubes, pellets, etc. I’ve also had some that would never eat a thing.

So I wouldn’t suggest these unless you have a mature tank that can support a grazer until you can get them eating. I got a trio from PIA last year. Gorgeous group, the smallest being about 1” and the largest 3.5”. They wouldn’t eat a dang thing. I probably spent $150+ in a months time on anything and everything I could think of to feed them: fresh clams, squid, mussels, roe, every frozen food I could get my hands on, nutrimar ova, cyclopeez. I even would gel up raw fish food and mash it into snail shells and freeze them to mimic grazing tendencies.

They never ate and eventually faded away. These guys were also already eating when I bought them from PIA, but the stress of shipping must have set them back.

Moral of the story, in my personal experience they can be a pain to get eating. But if you can find one at an LFS that’s eating already then they are generally quite hardy.
Yep you more or less mimic what I have said above in both my posts. Try and ensure they are well settled in the LFS alert show no signs of any issues and feeding well. Observe closely for as long as it takes put a deposit down before collection 2 or 3 weeks later if you can. Once settled and eating well in the right environment they are quite a hardy little fish.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking time to share your experience with Multibar Angel. and I am really glad this fish is doing will in your reef tank.

First the valid scientific name is Paracentropyge multifasciata, I kept one of them in my Angels and Acros reef tank. at the first few days, it was not eating anything but then it started to accept all kinds of food.
It was added to acclimation box latter for few days before release it to main tank. instantly it went to pick on all kinds of corals. so it was its time to be removed, I put a small coral in the acclimation box as a bait and cached the fish.

upload_2018-10-18_15-11-59.png

I Kept many Angels over the years, and the multifasciata was the worst one regarding coral nipping. maybe it was my luck that I got this one that nips on all corals. with angels reef safety is different with every single individual

I currently have a Paracentropyge Venusta , which is very similar to multifasciata. except that the Venusta is much harder to keep and get her to eat.

multifasciata is not very hard to keep, and it will do better in an established reef with extensive rook work and caves and places to hide.

it showed symptoms of swim bladder issues
Swim Bladder issues is very common with angelfish that are collected at relatively deeper locations. that is why it is best to get these fish from reputable suppliers that gets there fish from good exporters and fish collectors.
Fishes collected at deeper water needs proper acclimation to difference in pressure. some collectors use a needle to relief pressure from the swim bladder which in many cases will lead to infection. getting a fish that is treated like that will decrease the fish chances of survival and acclimating to Aquarium life.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for taking time to share your experience with Multibar Angel. and I am really glad this fish is doing will in your reef tank.

First the valid scientific name is Paracentropyge multifasciata, I kept one of them in my Angels and Acros reef tank. at the first few days, it was not eating anything but then it started to accept all kinds of food.
It was added to acclimation box latter for few days before release it to main tank. instantly it went to pick on all kinds of corals. so it was its time to be removed, I put a small coral in the acclimation box as a bait and cached the fish.

upload_2018-10-18_15-11-59.png

I Kept many Angels over the years, and the multifasciata was the worst one regarding coral nipping. maybe it was my luck that I got this one that nips on all corals. with angels reef safety is different with every single individual

I currently have a Paracentropyge Venusta , which is very similar to multifasciata. except that the Venusta is much harder to keep and get her to eat.

multifasciata is not very hard to keep, and it will do better in an established reef with extensive rook work and caves and places to hide.

Swim Bladder issues is very common with angelfish that are collected at relatively deeper locations. that is why it is best to get these fish from reputable suppliers that gets there fish from good exporters and fish collectors.
Fishes collected at deeper water needs proper acclimation to difference in pressure. some collectors use a needle to relief pressure from the swim bladder which in many cases will lead to infection. getting a fish that is treated like that will decrease the fish chances of survival and acclimating to Aquarium life.
Yeah I am aware of such and I should have been more observant as said.

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for some updated info, I had never seen one in person and bought one a few days ago from my LFS, he was in my list of fishes I currently have a potters angel as well, the potters has been with me for almost 4 months (3.2) and still not eating, I was afraid the potters would mess with him since he has established his area already surprisingly the multibar took over the area in just a matter of minutes so at night he’s constantly getting kicked out aggressively. He’s been with me for 5 days and still no sings of eating prepare food but he’s definitely picking up pods he stared inspecting my rocks and picking things off the same way my leopard wrasse does, I had removed my tang which kept my algae nicely trim and the Potter is just not as quick as my old tang so hopefully the multibar helps with the grazing but so far I have not seen him graze just pick off pods I have a ton, 120lb of LR in a 75g my sump is full of them hopefully I can get him into eating, any tips to encourage eating ? I Do have lots of hiding space and he picked my old tangs sleeping den that seems to be the go to area for all my new fishes something about that cave they all like

Here’s a pic I had to grab him

6EEFD725-AE98-482A-B1B2-6DFD0ACCE5FB.jpeg

0B9F496B-26DB-417A-91D7-7FCFDFA82334.jpeg

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the Acans almost targets with these and most dwarfs what about Lobos? I saw him looking at them hard but didn’t pick just went about his biss but I’m waiting for that Lobo to heal to sell him going the SPS route with 2 angels as center pieces in my 75g the multi and the potters 120g might start brewing up soon

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks a nice fish. Have you tried adult live brine shrimp mixed with some thawed out frozen? Also try some live and frozen rotifers.

Thank you for some updated info, I had never seen one in person and bought one a few days ago from my LFS, he was in my list of fishes I currently have a potters angel as well, the potters has been with me for almost 4 months (3.2) and still not eating, I was afraid the potters would mess with him since he has established his area already surprisingly the multibar took over the area in just a matter of minutes so at night he’s constantly getting kicked out aggressively. He’s been with me for 5 days and still no sings of eating prepare food but he’s definitely picking up pods he stared inspecting my rocks and picking things off the same way my leopard wrasse does, I had removed my tang which kept my algae nicely trim and the Potter is just not as quick as my old tang so hopefully the multibar helps with the grazing but so far I have not seen him graze just pick off pods I have a ton, 120lb of LR in a 75g my sump is full of them hopefully I can get him into eating, any tips to encourage eating ? I Do have lots of hiding space and he picked my old tangs sleeping den that seems to be the go to area for all my new fishes something about that cave they all like

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any fleshy polyp LPS is at risk. Potter’s angel is unlikely to eat hair algae. Mostly a slime algae and sponge eater.

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try feeding some mysis , and angelfish frozen food that contains some sponges. also if you have sponges on your life rock it will be great for the fish.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the issues with these angels in the US is from what I understand they are most likely to be from the Philippines. From what I am lead to believe they don't exactly employ the best of catching methods nor have the best of holding facilities.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on a few occasions that those collected from the Marshall Islamds have a better record of survival. I'm tempted to try one.

OP
OP
atoll

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its the fish themselves being more delicate more the collection storage and transportation methods employed but then maybe I am wrong about that. Certainly good capture etc will increase the level of survival.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its the fish themselves being more delicate more the collection storage and transportation methods employed but then maybe I am wrong about that. Certainly good capture etc will increase the level of survival.

Hard to say, I agree. I think collection and shipping practices are the biggest contributor to some locations being better than others, but it could also be inherent to the fish. I suppose it doesn't really matter ..... success is what matters. Thanks for reminding me about this fish.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great fish and definitely one of the tops of my favourites list. I have had two and none of them survived the quarantine period of time. I tried frozen food (brine shrimp, mysis and krill) with no success. After two or three weeks both began to fade and eventually died.

I don't know whether I should try again with a third one or just try another small angel. I already have two loricula and one auratus, and some larger angels. I thought that the mutifasciata could be a good addition because coloration is quite different from loricula, but it seems I'm not able to make them eat.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back