Cerith Snails behavior?

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please assist me in some knew knowledge for a snail I have never kept.

Went to my LFS and tell him I would like a snail to help with eating detritus, brown and Cyrano off the sand.

He recommends Cerith snails so I purchase 27 of them. I have three systems.

15 enter my 30 Gallon and 6 in each 12 gallon. Since placing them in there today during the day they just all are looking lifeless with maybe 3 that have buried in the sand a little and one on the rock and one on the side panel.

Are these snails active only at night? I thought the LFS sold me just shells but you can see the foot on some and the others you can't but they feel heavy unlike empty shells I have felt in past.

Did I make a a mistake in getting these snails as CUC?

Please anyone shed some light here are pics.

20210724_151029.jpg 20210724_150715.jpg

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a really bad sign mine are active all the time they never stop moving, how long have they been in your tank? They do take a bit to settle in.
I just got them today, I have never seen them just sitting there.

Going to see which ones bury in sand and tomorrow going back to LFS with the ones that didn't move.

On another site it said cerith snails are nocturnal and give them 72 hours to begin moving around

I have have astrea snails in my 30 gallon and they moved on 1st day.

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took two days for some of my cerith to come out.

From reefcleaners:
They take time to "come out of their shells" and move about after placing them in your tank. Please give them at least 72 hours to start moving about. It is abnormal for them to move around right away. Additionally, when the snail is pulled into its shell, the opperculum can pull back around the corner of the circular opening. The shells are not empty, that is just how this species is.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took two days for some of my cerith to come out.

From reefcleaners:
They take time to "come out of their shells" and move about after placing them in your tank. Please give them at least 72 hours to start moving about. It is abnormal for them to move around right away. Additionally, when the snail is pulled into its shell, the opperculum can pull back around the corner of the circular opening. The shells are not empty, that is just how this species is.
Thanks I was super worried!

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes them a couple of days to loosen up and get acclimated to your tank. Give them some time.
Looks like you also have a fairly good sized flatworm in your tank as well. Not sure if that particular one is a problem or not.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got them today, I have never seen them just sitting there.

Going to see which ones bury in sand and tomorrow going back to LFS with the ones that didn't move.

On another site it said cerith snails are nocturnal and give them 72 hours to begin moving around

I have have astrea snails in my 30 gallon and they moved on 1st day.
Ah perfectly normal if you just got them but tbh id be concerned if they didn't start moving after 48 hours 72 seems a little excessive mine always settle in the day after introduction.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes them a couple of days to loosen up and get acclimated to your tank. Give them some time.
Looks like you also have a fairly good sized flatworm in your tank as well. Not sure if that particular one is a problem or not.

Trying to get a wrasse to get this worm, which one should I get?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah perfectly normal if you just got them but tbh id be concerned if they didn't start moving after 48 hours 72 seems a little excessive mine always settle in the day after introduction.
I will give then 72 hours they were not moving at all at LFS, I asked for as many as they had alive he counted 27 and I got them all.

I had to remove small blue leg hermits that were attaching and looked like attacking the snail

So I just removed 3 tiny blue legs that are very much smaller but the harassing would not be good till they burrow.

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t you just remove him by hand. I’d siphon him out.
I did siphon him out but I saw a bigger one come to my cerith snail, and then he went back to the rocks, I missed that opportunity. However, I only have one fish in the tank, Swiss Guard Bassalet and so I would like to add a couple more fish and thought of a wrasse to pick at the plethora of hitchhikers found on 30 lbs of live rock and a diamond goby, small aone to work the edges of the tank which are covered in a deep sandbed. I don't have any corals on the sand nor will I place any there, I have rock work that will home all the corals via gluing.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please assist me in some knew knowledge for a snail I have never kept.

Went to my LFS and tell him I would like a snail to help with eating detritus, brown and Cyrano off the sand.

He recommends Cerith snails so I purchase 27 of them. I have three systems.

15 enter my 30 Gallon and 6 in each 12 gallon. Since placing them in there today during the day they just all are looking lifeless with maybe 3 that have buried in the sand a little and one on the rock and one on the side panel.

Are these snails active only at night? I thought the LFS sold me just shells but you can see the foot on some and the others you can't but they feel heavy unlike empty shells I have felt in past.

Did I make a a mistake in getting these snails as CUC?

Please anyone shed some light here are pics.

20210724_151029.jpg 20210724_150715.jpg
My cerith snails are active mostly at night, but it's not unusual to see them doing the daytime hours. It's the emerald crab use a flashlight, in the middle of the night just to catch a glimpse of him

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some unusual activity by bt my cerith snails, at least to me. Anyone have an idea of what these two guys are doing. My guess is either a wrestling match or making whoopie.

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a batch of 10 a month into my new tank they all vanished one day for almost 2 to 3 weeks. One day they just started to reappeal plus some new ones. i know mine are more active towards the night time then day time.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceriths and Dwarf Ceriths mostly bury in the sand during the day. It's kind of freaky when the lights start to ramp down at night. The tank looks like Night of the Living Dead or something with all the snails emerging from the sand. :D

Ceriths that I've had shipped tend to come out and start moving after a day or so in the tank. Locally bought ones seem to come out quicker.

In my little 10g AiO, I have 12 Dwarf Ceriths, 5 Ceriths, 2 Nassarius and 2 Asterae snails, and 2 Scarlet Reef Hermits. It makes a well rounded crew and covers all my bases.

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did siphon him out but I saw a bigger one come to my cerith snail, and then he went back to the rocks, I missed that opportunity. However, I only have one fish in the tank, Swiss Guard Bassalet and so I would like to add a couple more fish and thought of a wrasse to pick at the plethora of hitchhikers found on 30 lbs of live rock and a diamond goby, small aone to work the edges of the tank which are covered in a deep sandbed. I don't have any corals on the sand nor will I place any there, I have rock work that will home all the corals via gluing.
You are worried too much, it's a worm. Bristleworms really don't cause any issues unless you overfeed a ton

OP
OP
Micro-Reefs Aquarium

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ceriths find the first sandy patch of substrate and disappear within minutes.
Since posting about cerith, they are the best at their jobs. I purchased 27 of them brought them home, some of succummed to hermit crabs etc for their shells, but the rest are extremely active and wonderful part of my CUC. Very glad I got them and would recommend them in a heartbeat! Be patient they took about 1 week before they really took off in what they do, clean up everthing, sand, rocks and panels!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back