Cespitularia Spawning?

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I came home from work and found that my Cespitularia, which dominates half my tank, was shrunken and the ends had swelled up. Some had some tiny white items visible inside. The tank had these small white things all over the place. I'm assuming this is a spawning event. Please correct me if I'm wrong and there is something wrong with this coral. Attached video of the event and a picture of the tank from about a week ago.
IMG_0728[1].JPG

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it will end up growing everywhere in the tank now. I turned the gyres up to 100% to get as many to the filter sock as possible. My hermits were eating ones that ended up on the rocks. I guess if they end up everywhere I won't be using this rock when I upgrade the tank. I do like the coral, but I don;t want it to take over the new tank.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cesp is a plague. Mine exploded with growth and pretty suddenly just started dissolving about a few months after that. Nothing else was impacted so I am letting it die off. This coral is worse than xenia and gsp combined imho

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well there are several things.
Hard to tell what exactly it is with the flow.
If they are eggs probably nothing to worry about because that would require sperm from a male.
If they are Planula that could be a issue which it looks like it could be. Because where ever they land it could be a colony.

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are several things.
Hard to tell what exactly it is with the flow.
If they are eggs probably nothing to worry about because that would require sperm from a male.
If they are Planula that could be a issue which it looks like it could be. Because where ever they land it could be a colony.
I’m hoping they’re eggs and need sperm. Wish I had taken some good stills to analyze. I’ll have to monitor and see what happens.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its flipping amazing how many spawns happen nowadays vs 2005

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its flipping amazing how many spawns happen nowadays vs 2005
I had my first reef tank for 10 years and never saw it that tank. At least for me, my husbandry and cleaning practices are so much more advanced now. The hardest thing to learn was to just leave things alone most of the time.

OP
OP
DH78

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed quality too has increased
I totally agree with that. First reef tank I rarely put anything in for the corals and used cheap pellets along with freeze dried krill for feed. Nowadays I use TDO pellets, Seaweed Extreme pellets, and coral powders in an autofeeder a few times per day and once a day I use a homemade frozen food of various fish, shrimp, mussels, freeze dried krill, and freeze dried mysis soaked in Selcon. I have neve had fish and coral looking as healthy as they have in my current tank the last 3 years.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back