Chaeto not growing

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little over a month ago I made a DIY fuge in my 30G Eshopps sump.

Basically cut a sheet of acrylic, to separate the chaeto from the skimmer. Drilled about a hundred tiny holes in it to allow for flow.

Bought a cheapy bulb reflector from home depot with a plant growing light bulb.

Problem is the chaeto has literally just sat there. I still have just as much algae building up in my DT glass. And algae has also began to cover up the hoses on my skimmer, the filter sock, and even the surfaces of the fuge where the chaeto sits. But no growth on the chaeto itself.

nitrates are above 20 , have not tested phosphates.

Any idea what could be happening?

ABF6866C-27D5-4371-B928-4B55EEAFAC6A.jpeg 72FE407F-5678-420B-BE06-13D94ACB250C.jpeg BE07D1B5-559E-4141-A0C4-ACAB0F355248.jpeg 05860092-C146-476A-A1F8-9C5077F6C300.jpeg

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the Home Depot led grow light. Switched to a Neptune Gro light and the chaeto started growing like crazy.
hmm, this is prob the issue then.

I wonder why when I read you can literally grow chaeto with any light.

This light seems to grow everything but chaeto.

I have some green/red algae's growing in the sump but nothing on the chaeto.

suggestions on an affordable replacement?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm, this is prob the issue then.

I wonder why when I read you can literally grow chaeto with any light.

This light seems to grow everything but chaeto.

I have some green/red algae's growing in the sump but nothing on the chaeto.

suggestions on an affordable replacement?
What bulb?

I used the 9 watt Feit bulb with a clip on base and it grew chaeto fine. I did have it pretty close a few inches above the water. I used it for a land based grow project and it worked well for a small plant, but it needed to be close.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Neptune GRO light because I built a cheap egg crate Refugium to fit the light size.

70BFCE7E-3056-4A32-9DF9-56264C49E2EA.jpeg
looks like a nice light, but 150 is alot more than im looking to spend for a DIY fuge :\

Maybe in the future when I upgrade to a nicer setup. For now I'm looking for affordability

What bulb?

I used the 9 watt Feit bulb with a clip on base and it grew chaeto fine. I did have it pretty close a few inches above the water. I used it for a land based grow project and it worked well for a small plant, but it needed to be close.

literally think its the feit 9 wat

only thing is I grabbed my bulb and it doesnt have any markings or labels but I remember the packaging looking just like that.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a nice light, but 150 is alot more than im looking to spend for a DIY fuge :\

Maybe in the future when I upgrade to a nicer setup. For now I'm looking for affordability

literally think its the feit 9 wat

only thing is I grabbed my bulb and it doesnt have any markings or labels but I remember the packaging looking just like that.
They make a 16 watt that may fit in your socket as well. There are also stronger flat panel type LED's for under $50 on Amazon.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been able to grow chaeto with any light.

Most of the time, the tank is iron deficient. This is usually from not changing enough water, which can replenish the iron. Change some water in good amount, if you are not. You also might need to dose some iron even if you are changing water.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if the light is your issue or not but I've been using this cheap led off of Amazon and I couldn't be happier with it. I've not had the chaeto in my tank very long and it has at least quadrupled in size.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been able to grow chaeto with any light.

Most of the time, the tank is iron deficient. This is usually from not changing enough water, which can replenish the iron. Change some water in good amount, if you are not. You also might need to dose some iron even if you are changing water.
Never tested for iron but I used to do 20% WC twice a week for a few weeks when I was trying to lower nitrates/phosphates. I lowered it down to 20% biweekly and my last WC I did around 10%. Don’t think I would be low on anything but it’s worth looking into.

thanks!

I don't know if the light is your issue or not but I've been using this cheap led off of Amazon and I couldn't be happier with it. I've not had the chaeto in my tank very long and it has at least quadrupled in size.

That is something I’d be willing to pay. As far as rigging it up I’ll have to figure something out, I really want to limit the light causing algae growth in other compartments in my sump

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is something I’d be willing to pay. As far as rigging it up I’ll have to figure something out, I really want to limit the light causing algae growth in other compartments in my sump
It has caused a lot of light spill into other compartments of my sump, but it grows chaeto well enough for me that I will gladly put up with light spill.

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has caused a lot of light spill into other compartments of my sump, but it grows chaeto well enough for me that I will gladly put up with light spill.
I’m sure i can figure out a way to prevent too much spillage. I had the same issue with the HD light I’m currently using, so I put some foil tape around the fixture to point it more directly at the chaeto. Not the prettiest but it works

I just ordered the light so we’ll see if light is my issue

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure i can figure out a way to prevent too much spillage. I had the same issue with the HD light I’m currently using, so I put some foil tape around the fixture to point it more directly at the chaeto. Not the prettiest but it works

I just ordered the light so we’ll see if light is my issue
I never even tried to prevent it. I probably should though.

bzuca87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Same here I use this light too and have a red sea 425 xl and pull out a 3 gal bucket full every few weeks

OP
OP
Rawsreef

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never even tried to prevent it. I probably should though.
Not sure if you should or shouldn’t I just didn’t like the algae growing on places I’ve never seen algae before

Just a thought but I feel like I could’ve gone with something like this too

9A2F758A-C47F-42A1-8CFF-04984339036C.png

installing it would’ve been a breeze since I can just hang it right across the section I’ve made for the fuge.

not sure what would grow chaeto best tho, the one I ordered or this.

oh well

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you should or shouldn’t I just didn’t like the algae growing on places I’ve never seen algae before

Just a thought but I feel like I could’ve gone with something like this too

9A2F758A-C47F-42A1-8CFF-04984339036C.png

installing it would’ve been a breeze since I can just hang it right across the section I’ve made for the fuge.

not sure what would grow chaeto best tho, the one I ordered or this.

oh well
I'm no expert but I believe 8t is the red spectrum that grow algea better. Thats why many of the grow lights are a pink/purple color. So I doubt that one would be ideal.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of putting the light above, you may be able to put the light next to the sump, close to the chaeto and maybe black out the sides of the sump.

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Gtinnel just bought this light for my fuge and am curious how you mounted it? Thanks

Back