Chalice bleaching

eqbal9947

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.
I’ve noticed my Miami hurricane chalice is bleaching.
I read up on it and there is a multitude of things that people said it could be.
Could be from using gfo ( I’m currently using a lot)
Could be from high phosphate (I’ve been battling high phosphates)
Could be from swings in phosphate
I’ve also been told high phosphates won’t kill my corals.
I put reef roids right in the chalice and didn’t notice it bleaching a few days go. Could it be the reef roids?
so what could it be. All of my parameters are good other than phosphate (too much reef roids)
99601AB2-DE16-431B-ADC0-90BD9A3526FA.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actual water parameters would be really helpful as well as a history of stunner and of your aquarium. I would keep PO4 between .03 mg/l and .5 mg/l and for FWIW upwelling exposes corals to .2 mg/l. (>.03 mg/l is from this paper and <.5 mg/l is based on this paper.) Stop feeding it, directly feeding corals should be left to very experienced reefers, corals responses to feeding is very species specific and what helps one coral is detrimental to another and the amount fed can be very specific to have be beneficial and not detrimental. Keep in mind corals can take weeks to months to adjust to new conditions and depending on internal researves may look ok for awhile then go down hill quickly. They can also have problems that take weeks to months to show up. So it's not out of the realm of probability it had a problem before you got it. Ideally matching water and lighting conditions to the conditions it grew under is best.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back