Chalice Care

125tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm kinda new to the chalice addiction since I got a great deal from a local reefer for some frags of bazookajoe and capain america. But never expected, my bazookajoe wasnt doing so great for a couple of days since i put it in and then completely disappear, all i can see left is the glue on the frag plug. and now my captainamerica is not doing so well either. I placed them medium high in tank so they get more light.

Could you guys please tell me how to take care of these guys, i love them but they are expensive and i dont wanna buy another one until i'm sure i can keep them alive. I don't dose anything into my tank, all my softies, zoas, and LPS, and SpS are doing fine under the T5. Should i start dosing anything like calcium? I'm a newb with all the chemical things so if any1 could take me through this i would greatly appreciate it. :nerd: Much thanks!

Thanh.

stedfast82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pm roshi719 he will help but if they are up high put them low for right now till you get some good info cal akl and mag should be tested so you can tell any one that help what's going on there are a lot of good chalice people here ! ive been in this hobby for 4or 5 years and i still dont keep chalice yet read read raed.

Last edited:

ashton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off what are your tank parameters like alk,Cal,Mag,Phos,Nitrate and salinity? How long has the tank been set up? Also placing the chalices medium to high in the tank starting off may have been the issue. Usually when I get my chalices depending on the lighting they came from I start them at the bottom of the tank and then acclimate them to more light and slowly move them up a bit.

OP
OP
125tank

125tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my water quality is not good enough for them chalices because i dont dose anything. I've never been serious about testing water and dosing simply because those tests and chemicals are so expensive :( I thought I would get away with it by doing regular weekly water change with my RODI water. I heard ppl dose 2 parts Calc&Mag but I just can't really understand it. As stated, Im a total infant with dosing.

As far as lighting, I didnt think it was a problem because my bulbs are stock bulbs that came with my AquaticLife fixture and they are already 1 year old. But I'll sure keep it in mind to place them down low first next time.

OP
OP
125tank

125tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeping Online Magazine - Chemistry

Have fun, you can PM me with ?'s I know my chem used to work in Organic chem lab for 3 years ;)
wow thanks for the website, it's gonna be my homepage from now on :bigsmile: its gonna take probably months for me to finish reading all of them but i will. Im going to take my water parameters either today or tomorrow and post it up for every1 to evaluate for me. Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back