Chalice - too much light?

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, if a chalice is under too much light, is it possible for the edges to recede a bit.

I have a cherry Garcia down low, but it is almost directly under my kessil 160. I’m thinking I need to place it under and overhang, or off to one of the edges.

Thanks!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible.
Can you post some clear pics.
Parameters out of wack can also be a issue with chalices.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and grab a picture tonight. Everything else in the tank is doing well. I know chalices grow on the slower side, and he's only been in the tank for about 2 months...so not sure if this is normal. I'm thinking of moving him over just a bit here he'll be shaded and can hopefully take off.

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did a little bit of moving things around yesterday, and hopefully this helps bring the chalice back to thriving status. I really do think it was under too much direct light which was causing it to recede a bit...time will tell!

New Location (under an overhang on the left side/bottom of the tank.
IMG_4388.JPG

A good close up to track new growth.
IMG_0316.JPG

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did a little bit of moving things around yesterday, and hopefully this helps bring the chalice back to thriving status. I really do think it was under too much direct light which was causing it to recede a bit...time will tell!

New Location (under an overhang on the left side/bottom of the tank.
IMG_4388.JPG

A good close up to track new growth.
IMG_0316.JPG

Did moving it to lower light solve your problem?

OP
OP
Haggisman14

Haggisman14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's a hard no...

Totally forgot about this one. I got new frags that I'm going to mount tonight/tomorrow. So after moving it to the new spot, the darker teal color started to come out more, however the flesh has just been receding more and more. I have another spot that in more light, but at the bottom of my tank where i'm going to place it, and hope for the best. I really want to see this piece to well, but right now it's not so happy.

Hopefully third time will be a charm!

JaaxReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated pic from about 10 days ago. Not the best pic, but you can see more flesh receding on the bottom right...

IMG_5676.JPG

Interesting. I had a large pink chalice frag that receded like this for a while when I got it. It took a while to find a spot that it liked. It didn’t like high flow or being completely shaded. The shaded edges would recede. So I found a place where it was getting JUST the right level of light and it has been growing and thriving since. I also dipped it in Revive as I was concerned that the receding flesh was related to a bacterial infection so that may have had something to do with its recovery too.

Some people also claim chalices like higher magnesium for some reason. I run mine around 1450.

Feeding with reef roids or an LPS pellet food and giving it time to suck some in might help too. They do like food.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back