Chalices are hungry?

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I always feed my chalices brine shrimp and they eat the stuff up like they love it. So why are they expelling it an hour or two after ingesting? Are the brine shrimp and other solid foods too much for them to digest? I'm still getting great growth and colors but if they are expelling the food that quick after feeding, it's my belief that they aren't getting many nutrients from it. I'm thinking of moving away from spot feeding and just feeding the system as a whole. What are your ideas and thoughts?

twinspots_goby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you feed them? I think they might do that if you feed them too much or too often. I found that some chalices love to eat more and some chalice don't each much and some don't eat at all. I still think target feeding is better way since you can track which ones you have fed and which ones you haven't.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never noticed it before but now after feeding, I check on the tank every 30 minutes or so to see what happens. That's when I became aware of it. I had always thought they kept it in their systems for at least the night. I feed them 2-3 times a week. I've seen this happen even if they haven't been fed in days. My belief is that they just can't digest the larger foods. And you're right Frank. Some will never eat, while others always eat but curiously, they exhibit the same growth. I just feel like I've been wasting my time these past few months feeding them.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my chalices brine and mysis and ive never seen this, but i only feed them the bigger foods every 2 weeks or so, i feed baby brine and tiny things 3 times a week.

DrTrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, brine shrimp are too large for chalices to digest. Hence the initial consumption, followed by regurgitation. Cyclopeeze works great, as does marine snow.

OP
OP
fab1971

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like marine snow but will definitely try cyclopeeze and rogers food. thanks for the heads up.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyclopeeze and baby brine are great to feed to those 1 eye chalice frags that wont eat anything else!

shakenbake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oyster feastand then mysis if you can spot feed.if not bomb it with cyclopeze but the oyster feast is the key to get the feeders out and the mouth's open

Back