Status
Not open for further replies.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silencing dissent, or as people call it being mean, just changes the hands of who is being mean and drives the dissent underground where it festers and grows. Censorship never makes things better it makes things worse. MUCH worse. I guess we need a new lesson in this.

People will find a way to be petty whether it is welcome or not. Removing those ways just creates a problem greater than the original.

OP
OP
ThePurple12

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silencing dissent, or as people call it being mean, just changes the hands of who is being mean and drives the dissent underground where it festers and grows. Censorship never makes things better it makes things worse. MUCH worse. I guess we need a new lesson in this.

People will find a way to be petty whether it is welcome or not. Removing those ways just creates a problem greater than the original.
I would disagree. Reacting with the laughing emoji to something you disagree with creates toxicity. It's not exactly censorship :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would disagree. Reacting with the laughing emoji to something you disagree with creates toxicity. It's not exactly censorship :)
You're removing it. That is the definition of censorship.

Like all censorship there will also be unintended consequences because what you deem not offensive, someone else will deem offensive. You won't get to choose. If there is something you like it will be removed because you have opened pandora's box, and closing it will bring with it enormous costs. I really really suggest that you think hard about this. Don't go with your gut reaction think beyond that. If you don't you will only understand what I am saying, when it is visited on you and trust me ... you are not going to like that.

It seems that we all need a lesson in ignoring speech, or in this case emoticons we don't like.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Far too often I see the laughing reaction being used by some users to put down someone's post, usually when they disagree with it. I'm not sure how this could be solved, maybe it's just part of the toxicity of the Internet.

Thank you for the suggestion and we will take your concern into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back