Chasing Coral - the movie

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by Zuma, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Zuma

Zuma Member

Wow! Just watched this yesterday on Netflix and while I'm sure its been discussed on this forum before I'm putting it back out there for those, whom like myself, did not know about this movie. Great reef cinematography, interviews with the great J.E.N. Veron, coral reef biology and the pearls that effect the areas we are so interested in.

https://www.chasingcoral.com/

Sabbath22, KrisReef, wesman42 and 3 others like this.
    Tags:

2. Oscaror

Oscaror On A Break R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019

I'll check it out! I love ocean documentaries

3. spyder813

spyder813 Dec.4. 2017 R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I watched the movie a few times already. Some friends and family didn't know about the Corals and the effect on the whole global warming. Great documentary.

4. declanisadog

declanisadog Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I avoided it for a while because I thought it was going to be too preachy, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5altkreep likes this.
  5. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

As someone in the industry and field of study, I absolutely loved the film. It did a great job explaining so that even someone completely new could understand the concepts. A much needed film that should have gotten a lot more attention than it did.

6. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor

I watched it last year and did enjoy it. There are definitely some factual errors in the film but those have been discussed at length in other threads.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Bunnee911, MTBake and DSC reef like this.
  7. DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Its happening and real. However the movie makes it sound like it happening to every reef in the oceans and thisnis false. Not dailing down the fact that change and conservation needs to be happening to help reefs recover from the damage humans do.

8. MTBake

MTBake Valuable Member R2R Supporter

I thought it was a good documentary. I've watched it a few times myself.

Blue Planet series is another one I enjoy.

bsn_rn_cen, DSC reef and PDR like this.
  9. PDR

PDR <°)))>{ R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 SCAA Member Build Thread Contributor

I can't even tell you how many times I've watched Planet Earth 1&2, Blue Planet 1&2 and The Great Barrier Reef with David Attenborough.

MTBake and DSC reef like this.
  10. Zuma

Zuma Member

Good stuff, I really enjoyed this film too for many reasons and wanted to make sure those that we're unaware of it checked it out.

11. Scrubber_steve

Scrubber_steve Valuable Member

How can i watch it without netflix, because i would like to see for myself just how alarmist it is

Crabby48 likes this.
  12. wesman42

wesman42 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

It wasn't so much alarmist as it was informative of the speed of coral bleaching events.

And, it was over-embelished in regards to making you think every single coral was to be meeting the same fate.

Good hypothesis imo. They had quite a few researchers and marine biologists that were informative about other aspects of the film.

You cannot watch it without Netflix because it's a Netflix Original documentary.

13. Scrubber_steve

Ok then. Did the doco remark on how bleaching is a natural occurrence & normal, like the last GBR episode was? or did it infer that bleaching is just a modern phenomenon created by bad humans?

Just curious.

14. wesman42

wesman42 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

You'll have to watch it to find out!!

15. Scrubber_steve

Watching propaganda is one thing. Paying to watch it, no thanks

408Dartfish and Crabby48 like this.
  16. Scrubber_steve

Now I remember; this is the doco saying that "we are in a state of loosing the entire coral population of the world in the next 30 years"
    Nah, nothing alarmist about that.
    Carry on enjoying everyone

:D:D:D:eek:

Crabby48 likes this.
  17. AcroNem

AcroNem Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Quite a few coral/ reef biologists (a vast majority, I'd say, including myself) as well as this community strongly disagree with you on that. Bleaching has been documented in the past, but not what we're seeing now. This will likely just start an argument, but you can't just say the opinion of most of the scientific community involved is alarmist or propaganda.

swensos, JDtimk, 5altkreep and 5 others like this.
  18. Crabby48

Crabby48 Active Member R2R Supporter NJRC Member

Good answer. Everyone can have opinions and it’s good to hear opinion/ fact from both sides.
    It don’t need to be an agreement.
    Both people stated opinion/fact on what was discussed

AcroNem likes this.
  19. Scrubber_steve

Really? How much bleaching was there during the 1800s for example? You have no idea. Bleaching was first recorded in 1930 by Charles Maurice Yonge during the first major scientific study of the GBR. There are 26 records of bleaching before 1982 (Oliver et al 2009). It wasn’t until the 1960s that the phenomenon was discovered by scientists at the newly established Australian institute of marine science & James Cook University.

Crown of thorns starfish (COTS) plagues destroying the GBR were first discovered in the 1960s & claimed to be a modern phenomenon caused by > human activities. It is now known the geological evidence suggests that COTS outbreaks have occurred over millennia. If a mass bleaching event or COTS event occurred on the GBR in the 1920s, 30s, 40s, 50s, who would have noticed?

Contrast that to today. These events are now documented by hundreds of scientists who have been waiting & preparing for such events for years. They monitor the reef with satellites images, giving them time to prepare massive aerial surveys of the reef with military precision. And then there’s the global media campaigns to focus attention onto their specific field of study to attract government funding.

And is the opinion of the scientific community who disagree with their narrow view presented? NO! It is a global warming propaganda doco, scare ****, made by Exposure Labs, a bunch of environmental activists who quote “only work with people we like”, & who agree with their narrow views. Their propagandists, extreme alarmists – activists. Scare ****, with one narrow opinion presented without any alternate view. Over dramatized & exaggerated. It’s this type of propaganda that researches love because it’s a tool to direct, & vastly increase, limited funding towards their field. Coral reefs, like no other ecosystem, are used to illustrate the claim of environmental disaster from modest warming > by human activity.

And its aim is to push for 100% renewable energy as the remedy.

Corals are warm water animals. Bleaching is one of their defence mechanisms & should be regarded as a strategy for survival rather than a death sentence. Bleaching indicates that corals have adapted to periods of unusually high temperatures in the past.

Most corals that bleach fully recover (Marshall & Schuttenberg 2006).

In the 1960s it was claimed that the GBR was being destroyed by plagues of Crown of thorns starfish (COTS). The cause of the plagues, suggested by some of being a modern phenomon, was attributed to > human activity. It is now known that, just like bleaching, coral reefs recover from COTS outbreaks within ten years, & the geological evidence suggests that COTS outbreaks have occurred over millennia.

The 2015/16 GBR bleaching event was caused by record low local sea levels causing record low tides (which first appeared just north in the indonesia coral triangle & bleached coral), & an El nino. Natural events. The area reported as damaged was terribly exagerated by the media, & much of what was damaged has already started to recover.

TMB, Mark Gray and 408Dartfish like this.
  20. dantimdad

dantimdad Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

vetteguy53081 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted