Chasing Coral - the movie

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions are not evidence. All opinions are not equal. Scientific enquiry is not a political process. Science isn't an argument between two opposing sides. Truth is not arrived at by weighing opinions in some democratic fashion.

Bias, is not listening to the vast majority of evidence accepted the vast majority of qualified scientists in the field. It is rejecting the evidence in the face of all reason backed by a tiny but noisy minority of vested interest and internet search engine warriors.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the film really beautiful and also pretty heart-wrenching.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://coralreefwatch.noaa.gov/sat...nce/global_coral_bleaching_2014-17_status.php

NOAA information/status of coral bleaching is pretty interesting
Glad to see NOAA blaming the record equalling El nino, a natural event, for the bleaching. But there was more to it!

Some info on the GBR 2015/16 bleaching event.

The Bleaching was mostly confined to the most northern region of the GBR only.
There was a record El Nino event after all, equal to the 1998 event, which was itself responsible for coral bleaching, directly due to the related rise in ocean surface temperature in that region, which is a measure of El Nino intensity. But, any related rise in ocean surface temperature is secondary to the most significant & critical factors responsible for coral bleaching. What are those?

As discussed by Ampou 2017 https://www.biogeosciences.net/14/817/2017/ Indonesian biologists had reported that a drop in sea level had bleached the upper 15 cm of the reefs before temperatures had reached NOAA’s Coral Reef Watch bleaching thresholds. 2015 altimetry data shows that sea level was at its lowest in the past 12 years, and this drop in sea level had likely been experienced throughout much of the Coral Triangle including the northern Great Barrier Reef (GBR), and then accelerated during the El Niño. They speculated sea level fall also contributed to the bleaching during the 1998 El Niño. Consistent with the effects of sea level fall, other researchers reported bleaching in the GBR was greatest near the surface then declined rapidly with depth.

Indeed the Great Barrier Reef had also experienced falling sea levels similar to those experienced by Indonesian reefs. Visitors to Lizard Island had reported more extreme low tides and more exposed reefs which is consistent with the extremely high mortality in the Lizard Island region during the 2016 El Niño. Of course reefs are often exposed to the air at low tide, but manage to survive if the exposure is short or during the night. However as seen in tide gauge data from Cairns just south of Lizard Island, since 2010 the average low tide had dropped by 10 to 15 cm. After previous decades of increasing sea level had permitted vertical coral growth and colonization of newly submerged coastline, that new growth was now being left high and dry during low tide. As a result shallow coral were increasingly vulnerable to deadly desiccation during more extreme sea level drops when warm waters slosh toward the Americas during an El Niño.

Furthermore, an El Niño in the Coral Triangle not only causes a sudden sea level fall, but it also generates a drier high-pressure system with clear skies, so that this region is exposed to more intense solar irradiance. In addition, El Niño conditions reduce regional winds that drive reef-flushing currents and produce greater wave washing that could minimize desiccation during extreme low tides. And as one would predict, these conditions were exactly what were observed during El Niño 2016 around Lizard Island and throughout the northern GBR.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Coral mortality following extreme low tides and high solar radiation

https://link.springer.com/article/10...227-006-0573-0
On coral reefs, spring low tides are recurrent disturbances, but are rarely reported to cause mass mortality. However, in years when extremely low tides coincide with high noon irradiances, they have the potential to cause widespread damage. Here, we report on such an event on a fringing coral reef in the central Great Barrier Reef (Australia) in September 2005, (only the first month of Springtime in that part of the world).
Visual surveys of colony mortality and bleaching status of more than 13,000 corals at 14 reef sites indicated that most coral taxa at wave-protected sites were severely affected by the event. Between 40 and 75% of colonies in the major coral taxa (Acropora, Porites, Faviidae, Mussidae and Pocilloporidae) were either bleached or suffered partial mortality. In contrast, corals at wave-exposed sites were largely unaffected (<1% of the corals were bleached), as periodic washing by waves prevented desiccation. Surveys along a 1–9 m depth gradient indicated that high coral mortality was confined to the tidal zone. However, 20–30% of faviid colonies were bleached throughout the depth range, suggesting that the increase in benthic irradiances during extreme low tides caused light stress in deeper water. Analyses of an 8-year dataset of tidal records for the area indicated that the combination of extended periods of aerial exposure and high irradiances occurs during May–September in most years, but that the event in September 2005 was the most severe. We argue that extreme low-tide, high-irradiance events are important structuring forces of intertidal coral reef communities, and can be as damaging as thermal stress events. Importantly, they occur at a time of year when risks from thermal stress, cyclones and monsoon-associated river run-off are minimal.
End.

Coral Mortality and Resilience

There are 4 widespread misconceptions about bleaching propagated by tabloid media hyping climate doom and researchers like Hoegh-Guldberg. To clarify:

1 Bleaching is not always driven by warming temperatures

2 Bleaching is not responsible for most coral mortality.

3 Coral can rapidly respond to disturbances and replace lost cover within a decade or less.

4 Bleaching, whether or not it results in coral mortality, is part of a natural selection process from which better-adapted populations emerge.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Severe 2010 Cold-Water Event Caused Unprecedented Mortality to Corals of the Florida Reef Tract and Reversed Previous Survivorship Patterns

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/art...l.pone.0023047
In January 2010, coral reefs of Florida, United States, were impacted by an extreme cold-water anomaly that exposed corals to temperatures well below their reported thresholds (16°C), causing rapid coral mortality unprecedented in spatial extent and severity.

The impacts recorded were catastrophic and exceeded those of any previous disturbances in the region.

The mean percent coral mortality recorded for all species and subregions was 11.5% in the 2010 winter, compared to 0.5% recorded in the previous five summers, including years like 2005 where warm-water bleaching was prevalent.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just like to thank the moderators for deleting the offending posts from this thread.
All we ask is for users to be kind to each other. If you can’t do it please move on from the thread. Also if you have an issue with a moderation decision please reach out to a team member in the future instead of making a sarcastic post.
Thank you,
-Kevin
Team R2R

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All we ask is for users to be kind to each other. If you can’t do it please move on from the thread. Also if you have an issue with a moderation decision please reach out to a team member in the future instead of making a sarcastic post.
Thank you,
-Kevin
Team R2R
Yes, i need to turn the other cheek when provoked & press the Report buton

U

User1

View Badges
I'm aware of the film but haven't watched it. For several reasons non of which I'll discuss here. In any case if I was to have posted this I probably would have put it in the Lounge. This is similar to discussing sex, drugs, religion and politics and a slew of other topics that trigger various reactions that moderators have to come in and filter.

In fact I'm actually surprised it wasn't moved.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe both Charlie Vernon and Luiz Rocha (who were featured in this film) spoke at MACNA this year. I’m curious if anyone here was able to attend those talks? Is skepticism of the research of prominent coral reef biologists prominent at the MACNA talks as well? I’ve never been, but find some of the responses I see on these forums both bizzare and fascinating.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, If the filmmakers are correct and we attempt to do something about it then we will likely have healthier coral reefs, and therefore oceans in the future although time is running out. If they are correct and we do nothing about it until most reefs are dead or dying then eventually most life in the oceans is going to go extinct. If the filmmakers are wrong and coral reefs are resilient enough to survive the increased pollution etc. then we lose very little. If the filmmakers are right and we do nothing, we risk everything. Since the oceans make up 2/3 of the planet, dead oceans mean a dead planet.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral mortality following extreme low tides and high solar radiation

https://link.springer.com/article/10...227-006-0573-0
On coral reefs, spring low tides are recurrent disturbances, but are rarely reported to cause mass mortality. However, in years when extremely low tides coincide with high noon irradiances, they have the potential to cause widespread damage. Here, we report on such an event on a fringing coral reef in the central Great Barrier Reef (Australia) in September 2005, (only the first month of Springtime in that part of the world).
Visual surveys of colony mortality and bleaching status of more than 13,000 corals at 14 reef sites indicated that most coral taxa at wave-protected sites were severely affected by the event. Between 40 and 75% of colonies in the major coral taxa (Acropora, Porites, Faviidae, Mussidae and Pocilloporidae) were either bleached or suffered partial mortality. In contrast, corals at wave-exposed sites were largely unaffected (<1% of the corals were bleached), as periodic washing by waves prevented desiccation. Surveys along a 1–9 m depth gradient indicated that high coral mortality was confined to the tidal zone. However, 20–30% of faviid colonies were bleached throughout the depth range, suggesting that the increase in benthic irradiances during extreme low tides caused light stress in deeper water. Analyses of an 8-year dataset of tidal records for the area indicated that the combination of extended periods of aerial exposure and high irradiances occurs during May–September in most years, but that the event in September 2005 was the most severe. We argue that extreme low-tide, high-irradiance events are important structuring forces of intertidal coral reef communities, and can be as damaging as thermal stress events. Importantly, they occur at a time of year when risks from thermal stress, cyclones and monsoon-associated river run-off are minimal.
End.

Coral Mortality and Resilience

There are 4 widespread misconceptions about bleaching propagated by tabloid media hyping climate doom and researchers like Hoegh-Guldberg. To clarify:

1 Bleaching is not always driven by warming temperatures

2 Bleaching is not responsible for most coral mortality.

3 Coral can rapidly respond to disturbances and replace lost cover within a decade or less.

4 Bleaching, whether or not it results in coral mortality, is part of a natural selection process from which better-adapted populations emerge.
I agree I really believe bleaching has nothing to do with warmer waters. All my coral survived in my garage a whole summer no cooler just a fan my temps were 85 at night 90n to 95 in the day everything lived. Now if my Nitrate and Phosphate drop to 0 my corals Bleach. I think the coral problem has a lot to do with over fishing. Most people have never seen how large the catch of a Trawler is, They take 1000's of pounds of fish out of the ocean ever hour and usally run 24 hours a day. I have been on them. And every big country has 100's of them. Good post

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Just watched this yesterday on Netflix and while I'm sure its been discussed on this forum before I'm putting it back out there for those, whom like myself, did not know about this movie. Great reef cinematography, interviews with the great J.E.N. Veron, coral reef biology and the pearls that effect the areas we are so interested in.

https://www.chasingcoral.com/
Thanks for posting this video. I will have to check this out when I get home. :)

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Question for the moderators Scrubber_steve is blocked why because he has a different Opinion ?
That isn’t the case and Steve knows that.

Please also refer to our TOS.

https://www.reef2reef.com/help/terms

Specifically this part:
* Be mindful of yourself and others. This forum is not a democracy; it is privately owned and we make the rules. If rules are violated we retain the right at our discretion to remove, edit or delete posts and, if necessary, ban or remove members. Any abuse toward our staff may/will result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about moderator decisions may not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator. If a moderator deletes or edits one of your posts and you disagree with the action, contact the moderator concerned. Do not repost deleted material.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
C
I have a Question for the moderators Scrubber_steve is blocked why because he has a different Opinion ?
Certain behaviors on this site are tolerated while others are not. sarcasm in nature is not invited or welcomed whether here , the workplace, etc. Debates are great but must be accomplished with respect and neutral opinions rather than offense to others.
In basic grammar 101..... there is a thing called tone. Tone is expressed with words, exclamation points, Capital letters etc. All posts are screened my moderation team for the purpose of keeping the site on subject and with respect, dignity and in a community like manner. Nothing different with how we conduct ourselves at home or in public. R2R reached a milestone in being #1 reefing community not because of how many members there are but rather how many topics and education is placed to the public with respect and accurate information resources
If this is hard to understand or comply with....... this site may not be for some people. Hope this clarifies the position and action taken and NOT based on bias or finger pointing.
Happy Reefing

l425965307.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to make some clarifications. The moderation team does not monitor every thread or every post. We rely on our members to help with this. If anyone sees a post they find offensive or inappropriate you are highly encouraged to use the report feature. You can even use the report feature in a positive way if you feel someone has gone above and beyond and want to raise it to our attention.
Our goal is to make sure R2R is a family friendly place where people can come and enjoy themselves while sharing and discussing the reefing hobby. We do our best to allow discussion on difficult topics even if we don't necessarily agree with the content of the posts. We do ask that our members treat each other with respect. Most of us moderators are lazy. We prefer to not have to do anything. We would prefer to be involved in interesting discussions the same way everyone else is. Unfortunately, some times respect is lost, trolling occurs, or inappropriate content is posted. When this happens, in addition to being irritated that we have to do our jobs, we decide how to move forward as a team.
In these challenging discussions feel free to state your case. Just please don't attack or criticize each other because they don't see things in the same way you do regardless of how obvious you feel it is. We all come from different backgrounds and have experienced life differently so we all have different perspectives. It is ok to agree to disagree. It's ok to walk away without changing peoples minds. Some times, that is the best course of action.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back