Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching right now.......

Website for the show

Photography is great!

Yes, depressing....I dove the Keys in the early 70's when there was coral, long spiny urchins, and large Jew fish and Groupers.......All gone!!!

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching right now.......

Website for the show

Photography is great!

Yes, depressing....I dove the Keys in the early 70's when there was coral, long spiny urchins, and large Jew fish and Groupers.......All gone!!!
Wow I’m sure it really hit home for you then....It’s great that you were able to witness the beauty during the 70s before humanity destroyed it :/

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I’m sure it really hit home for you then....It’s great that you were able to witness the beauty during the 70s before humanity destroyed it :/

What hit home for me was when we had Ken Nedimyer from Coral Restoration come and talk at our local club in NJ....about ten years ago. I talked to Ken and mentioned I dove Florida waters in the early 70's and he was the one who informed me about the death of both the spiny urchins (which would totally cover the ocean bottom so you couldn't kneel down) and corals....all gone. Our club made a major donation to his cause. I believe Ken has since moved on, but here's a video about his rebuilding of the reefs in FLA (and elsewhere)

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hit home for me was when we had Ken Nedimyer from Coral Restoration come and talk at our local club in NJ....about ten years ago. I talked to Ken and mentioned I dove Florida waters in the early 70's and he was the one who informed me about the death of both the spiny urchins (which would totally cover the ocean bottom so you couldn't kneel down) and corals....all gone. Our club made a major donation to his cause. I believe Ken has since moved on, but here's a video about his rebuilding of the reefs in FLA (and elsewhere)

That’s awesome!! Do you know if those nurseries were successful and still being implemented today? What a great guy! :)

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....still going on. That suspended method of propagating was discovered by Ken....originally gluing and growing on the sea floor, but discovered that when suspended on those "trees" they grew considerably faster. He suspected the additional flow/food added to the increased growth. Great guy, great cause.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys made my day! Thank you for the info will check it out! I was planning on going to reefapalooza in California but it got cancelled unfortunately due to covid....not sure if I would have ran into coral restoration there but I’d hope so.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to bump this up again especially with all the things happening around the world that will have an impact on reefing as a whole. It’s a fantastic and fascinating film that’ll leaving you wanting to change. If you’ve even been out to scuba some of the worlds most amazing reefs Balize, GBR, The Pacific this movie will break you... but hopefully make you realize change is still possible.
This reminded me of the movie this morning:
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/16/...ange-barrier-reef-c2e-spc-intl-scn/index.html

NOAA also has a great write up on how we can help everyday:
Let’s help save what we love so much!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Totally agree the movie broke me too...Inspired me to share the knowledge vocally amongst friends and family is sure they’re sick of hearing about it lol
All our friends know we’re coral nuts so when I bring it up they know what’s coming:)

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up watching this a few weeks back with my girlfriend. She walked away really interested in coral and understanding my love of all things marine. She also asked why we hobbyists haven’t been able to do more about repopulating the reefs.

Which is funny. Because part of why I’m so passionate about this hobby is because I kind of have a dream of somehow using this passion as a way to make a difference.

very eye opening film regardless. Thanks for posting! More people need to see this

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up watching this a few weeks back with my girlfriend. She walked away really interested in coral and understanding my love of all things marine. She also asked why we hobbyists haven’t been able to do more about repopulating the reefs.

Which is funny. Because part of why I’m so passionate about this hobby is because I kind of have a dream of somehow using this passion as a way to make a difference.

very eye opening film regardless. Thanks for posting! More people need to see this

Nothing better than having your significant other onboard! I watched it with my gf as well. She cried and then told me I better never let any of the corals die in our tank.

I hope to make a difference as well. Currently getting scuba certified and see where I can go from there. Cheers to all us reefers!:)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, haven't watched the shows, but the rapid rise in temp and co2 is at least partially to blame. If 50% by some estimates of worldwide coral losses have occurred i think sunscreen and boat props are not the main issues here. We need to reduce our carbon footprint.
Sorry for the doom and gloom, but this deserves a mention in this thread.
Stop here politics ahead: NOAA has been dumbed down by the current administration.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back