Cheap black box vs more expensive LED's question

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a couple different LED's while in the hobby. Why does it seem I have the best results with the Chinese black boxes? I currently have 2 tanks set up side by side, one with the T5 Hybrid & A360x's (I just switched to Kessil from XR15g4) and the other tank has the black boxes. The tank with the Black boxes is thriving, the polyp extension and colors are so much better than the other tank. Is there more to this than just the lighting? I wanted to get other peoples experiences with similar lighting and if they have had great luck with the cheap lights over the more expensive lights? Could it be all a "name brand" thing? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Just an FYI, I run both tanks exactly the same or very close as far as all my parameters.

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which black box's are you using? they all have different spectrum's and some have a wider range of different color temperature LED.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which black box's are you using? they all have different spectrum's and some have a wider range of different color temperature LED.
I actually dont even know LOL! I bought them from newegg. I think its the knock off of all knocks offs lol.

black boxes.JPG 20190928_101309.jpg

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mars aqua. I ran one for 2 years on my recently taken down 25 nano.
Ran 80% blue 20% white.
All rock and coral transfered to my 120.
They grow coral very well. Many avoid them because they are chinese and inexpensive compaired to the "must have" leds.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen Radions, Kessils, etc in person and the colors seem like they are better blended together. They are definitely better quality built.

All I care about is healthy, good looking corals and my Mars Aqua seem to do that.

I currently run 100% Blues and 40% Whites.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the benefits of the black boxes are that people tend to set and forget bc there arent a bunch of options. Many of us tinker way too much and creates unstable parameters for our tanks to flourish. I like simplicity, less is more for me.

OP
OP
djray77

djray77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the benefits of the black boxes are that people tend to set and forget. Many of us tinker way too much and creates unstable parameters for our tanks to flourish. I like simplicity, less is more for me.
I was just going to say its probably me as I am not experienced enough on how to setup Radions ( had them set to the AB+ program) the correct way. This is why I switched out my XR15's for kessil as I felt they are alot like the marsaqua in you have 2 dials to set and forget.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd coral is under the black boxes, I have them 12inches from the water @ 100% blue and 50% whites.

Nice! I have another kind of black box - Ocean revive. They’re less wattage 120w but I like the colors they produce. I added moonlights to mine. Hopefully I’ll get corals in my tank soon to see how they perform. I also have a par meter on rental from BRS coming later this week.

Any chance you know your PAR at the current settings?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the benefits of the black boxes are that people tend to set and forget bc there arent a bunch of options. Many of us tinker way too much and creates unstable parameters for our tanks to flourish. I like simplicity, less is more for me.

I have all (4) of mine hooked to VDM modules and their own EB8 on my apex. They start from right to left and end right to left along with dimmng with sunrise and sunset. No dials to mess with on mine. Really looks good and the corals love it.

RomoFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all (4) of mine hooked to VDM modules and their own EB8 on my apex. They start from right to left and end right to left along with dimking with sunrise and sunset. Really looks good and the corals love it.

Nice! I tried to hooked up a module to convert my 3.3w PWM to the 10v analog but I had no luck.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black boxes

* Very very limited functionality

* Only two channels, white and blue; in a color pattern they design

* No flexibility in mixing levels of violets, blues, greens, reds, whites. You are stuck with a blue channel and a white channel

* Many cant even be programmed on intensity (ramping up and down) bc you have to do that MANUALLY with knobs/dials. They are simple ON and OFF lights with manual control of light intensity

* I dont know any Blackbox that can be controlled by Apex

* Many black boxes are built where the power supplies fail within 2-3yrs. The LEDs are fine but the powersupplies aren't sealed properly and salt-creep destroys them. Some times you can find replacement powersupplies on Amazon for $20 but its hit or miss....but you have to be knowledgable of miiliamps, voltage, wattage in what you're buying as a replacement. Usually the sticker on the burned out power supply tells you all that.

Brandnames

* Biggest detriment is PRICE. They're 2, 3, 4 times the price of black boxes

* Blackboxes are price point to almost be "throwaway" fixtures. Brandnames are an investment

* Brandname Mfgrs make money from you that if your fixture breakdown outside of the warranty replacement parts are scarce bc they want to sell you a new fixture at their higher price points. But can you blame them? They have profit margins they have to meet to stay in business...so I get it

* Brandname Mfgrs make money from you by convincing you to constantly UPGRADE every 3yrs....bc they come out with phenomenal "must-have" features. You get in this habit of selling your brandname used on eBay to get the latest "must-have" fixture

Hth

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back