Cheap lights suited for SPS?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some commercially available lights that emit a spectrum suited for SPS whilst not being stupidly expensive like the controllable reef lights on the market? I have, surprisingly not seen anyone DIY their own reef lights, and I am wondering if there is a reason, because making a macro/plant growth light is easy enough.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What are some commercially available lights that emit a spectrum suited for SPS whilst not being stupidly expensive like the controllable reef lights on the market? I have, surprisingly not seen anyone DIY their own reef lights, and I am wondering if there is a reason, because making a macro/plant growth light is easy enough.
Try @noo-psyche not as easy to control but priced way lower than most of the other brands.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try @noo-psyche not as easy to control but priced way lower than most of the other brands.
sheesh, that's still pretty dang expensive. I was more looking for a way to make my own, not sure why no one has done it yet but I'd guess just pick out diodes of the colour I want?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 k7 v3 over my 180g and am very happy with them. This latest fiasco tho has me hesitant to recomended them any longer.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sheesh, that's still pretty dang expensive. I was more looking for a way to make my own, not sure why no one has done it yet but I'd guess just pick out diodes of the colour I want?
If you think the Noopsyche are pretty dang expensive you'll probably have trouble finding anything that will grow sps. You didn't say but exactly how much are you looking to spend?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a better deal, how often do I have to replace the bulb? That looks a lot like the reptile - designed UVB I've got running for my lizards.
Some last 15000 hours so about once per year is average if you run them 10 hours per day

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some last 15000 hours so about once per year is average if you run them 10 hours per day
I assume they don't come with their own controller, guess that's easier to work with.
Which bulb is recommended? I see a bunch of different lights at different prices on BRS, not sure which one will be bright enough for stylos and acros.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a better deal, how often do I have to replace the bulb? That looks a lot like the reptile - designed UVB I've got running for my lizards.

12-18 months.

You’ll need T5HO, not plain T5. Ballasts, bulb, endcap, reflector, AC cord are the minimum if you have a canopy. ATI still makes some of the best T5HO bulbs.

Or buy a used fixture.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume they don't come with their own controller, guess that's easier to work with.
Which bulb is recommended? I see a bunch of different lights at different prices on BRS, not sure which one will be bright enough for stylos and acros.
I don't use them so I'm not sure but they could be set up as simple on off with a standard light socket switch box.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve DIYed a lot of LEDs, but I usually end up more expensive than commercial fixtures (especially the cheaper import brands).

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have 6 k7 v3 over my 180g and am very happy with them. This latest fiasco tho has me hesitant to recomended them any longer.
I briefly read through the thread. Don’t know if the fiasco is noo-psyche commenting on the other brand. Might have missed something, and I have no reference to the reefi lights. But from 30+’years of retail sales
Management and owning my own construction business, what I saw to start was noo-psyche giving info about their lights compared to the competition. If noo-psyche is wrong about the composition of the competitor they should do better homework, or possible design had changed since they checked them out.

Using features advantages and benefits is a solid selling procedure. If I state my pods are better than my competition that could be seen as true or false. If I say my pods are more nutritious as I feed a 10 species blend of phyto that allows them to get nutrients from some strains that are not in others, that is a fact and a benefit. If I say they are X% more nutritious or have X% more protein, then I had better have actual data to support.

So I try to stick with just stating that I am a fellow reefer who has started selling pods and phyto with my wife to help us out as I haven’t been able to work for a year and a half due to the injury that I finally got the surgery before. I say that I am offering the best value by having more pods at a lower price, but I don’t name my competition as I find that lacks class.

All I can say is I have 10 K7’s and am happy with their performance. Would love for them to be as easy to use as my Hydra 32’s and 64’s and primes, which I have several of each. So I can give a solid referral to Noo-psyche without reservation. I do not know them other than to have purchased from them, and they have treated me polite and professionally.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back