Cheapest light to add for nem

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by keddre, Dec 21, 2017.

1. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

I have been offered an LTA in a tank teardown and I would love to monopolize on the deal. The only thing holding me back is the lighting. My current light is a MarineLand reef and in the prime spot it is only ~170par. I was looking for a cheap addition to boost light in the middle of my tank for him. Before I get hounded on that I should get an appropriate light to support him long-term, I am switching to a new tank in mid to late summerish with a halide and blue led that I already purchased but I can't setup in my current arrangement, so I don't want to drop money for something I am going to toss in a few months. Thanks and if no-one has ideas I can pass on it, just saw a good deal on something I wanted anyway

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Not sure why that par level is a problemb. But you could look at a 2bulb t5. Or another inexpensive strip.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h and NowGlazeIT like this.
  3. NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT Valuable Member R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have some soft corals and lps and my RBTA is the first coral to start bleaching when the light is too intense so I believe they require some of the lowest par to be happy. This is just one guys experience tho so take it as is

JoshH, keddre and saltyfilmfolks like this.
  4. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Acclimation is key.
    And it’s almost impossible to guess by looking If there is too much Light.

Crabs Mcjones and NowGlazeIT like this.
  5. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

Is that enough? I don't have a reasoning why, just an uneasy feeling with that level of light.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  6. saltyfilmfolks

100 or so is usually fine for most stuff. (Assuming a decent spectrum)
    If you run in tontrouble you can increase the time too.

7. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

Alright, I think I'll give a shot and look for additions just to ease my mind. I'll also check out t5's. Thanks

8. NowGlazeIT

Yea I was using the AI prime for the first time and it took me a few months to find out what all my corals liked by just observing. God there needs to be a more affordable par meter

9. keddre

keddre Well-Known Member

what do you think as affordable? There are some on eBay for ~$150. I don't have one, but thye have 4-5 star ratings

10. saltyfilmfolks

Seneye is the cheapest so far. 160-200
    You can also use a lux Meter (15) and devide by 60 and 65 to estimate the par and make adjustments.

Crabs Mcjones, NowGlazeIT and keddre like this.
  11. NowGlazeIT

If I had to buy one again I would buy the ai Prime for 150! That’s 50 bucks off there starting price and. I’m happy with it. i dont have any of the channels past 80 percent but I don’t have any sps either. the AI is my only light source for my 60gcube

image.jpg

image.jpg
    The size of the light almost isn’t enough for my set up but i got it used for 70 bucks it’s not the HD but I’m gonna make it work. The corals love it so much more then that terrible stock lighting from the bio cube they were in
    image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  12. NowGlazeIT

Yes that’s not a bad price but I only need it for a day. :(

13. cracker

cracker Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

So a 100 par would be enough? How high say 200? Can they take more? Thanks

14. NowGlazeIT

Touching on what salty said earlyr when he said acclimation is key. I think if you acclimated the anemone correctly it could handle 200 par. They really don’t need it tho. these animals will move closer to the light if not getting enough. but they didn’t move away when they started bleaching in my tank, they just didn’t extend out as much

cracker likes this.
  15. PiscesPower

PiscesPower All your anemones are belong to me R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

In doing my research, and in my experience BTA like light and flow. I have mine pretty high up with my Hydra 26 lights and I have measured the par, where the nemes hang out, at 250 + with the Seneye Par Meter. They are actually moving a bit more to the light. There are 10 of them all around the top rocks. I'm either going to have to move some to a new tank, or move my sps.
    IMG-2330.JPG

keddre and NowGlazeIT like this.
  16. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member Moderator Emeritus Build Thread Contributor

Honestly if you do not have the lighting such as T5 or higher performance LED's I would not get the LTA.

I would love to have an Acropora Spathulata, but I know my T5 and current flow while great for my current Acropora and other Sps choices is not optimal for Acropora Spathulata, the coral would probably survive but I want it to thrive.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  17. NowGlazeIT

Beautiful! thank you for chiming in. I had no idea these animals could take so much light, but it’s a relief for me because I want to slowly crank up my lights and have been hesitant to do so because of my anemones

18. NowGlazeIT

Just because you wouldn’t do it doesn’t mean you should advise people not to. I’ve grown rbta in crappy pc lighting and if it wasn’t for those baby steps and that crappy bio cube I would never have found the interest to keep learning and progressing in the hobby. We all have our own pace and budgets to factor in on these forums

19. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member Moderator Emeritus Build Thread Contributor

Why yes I can advise because this is a public forum and the question was the cheapest light posed to the forum, so I am more than free to offer my opinion and advice, that is really the point right. I have kept BTA under PC lighting with great results so I do have some 1st knowledge of the issue, the anemone in question is a LTA, while hardy not as hardy as BTA. :)

20. NowGlazeIT

I’m not saying you can’t. I’m saying you should be more considerate

Draft saved Draft deleted