Check out these Florida Hard Corals!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I find it really sad that the state of Florida won't allow some well-respected aquaculturers like WWC to have a few specimens for propagation. I don't see how that would hurt anything, especially if the mother colonies are aquacultured like the ones in this tank. Seems like that would also help to guarantee the survival of the species in the long term. Maybe I need to write my local legislators to see if we can get this changed with proper oversight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I find it really sad that the state of Florida won't allow some well-respected aquaculturers like WWC to have a few specimens for propagation. I don't see how that would hurt anything, especially if the mother colonies are aquacultured like the ones in these tank. Seems like that would also help to guarantee the survival of the species in the long term. Maybe I need to write my local legislators to see if we can get this changed with proper oversight.
There are lots of regulations around keeping endangered and protected species. Luckily lots of public aquariums and research institutions (specifically Mote and Florida Aquarium) are increasing their efforts and resources to culture and even breed several protected Florida coral species. As things trend in a positive direction, who knows how things will change. Fortunately there are lots of great efforts out there to restore Florida’s reefs!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of regulations around keeping endangered and protected species. Luckily lots of public aquariums and research institutions (specifically Mote and Florida Aquarium) are increasing their efforts and resources to culture and even breed several protected Florida coral species. As things trend in a positive direction, who knows how things will change. Fortunately there are lots of great efforts out there to restore Florida’s reefs!
I appreciate that! Wouldn't hurt for us to exert some pressure on our state and federal congresscritters for some meaningful change!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, how do you keep your po4 so low?
I keep a pretty decent sized refugium with cheatomorpha and mineral mud. It’s been pretty efficient at removing nutrients. There are also a ton of sponges growing which probably help pull out organics before breaking down.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just snapped a few quick cellphone pictures today. Corals are doing well. The palmata is finally starting to put out some small “branches” ;Hilarious

2758D850-CF98-475B-BD90-FA4003381BDA.jpeg
9E0684D9-A637-4305-A53C-90A4761E0AF5.jpeg
E28CDD04-61ED-425A-B8E7-B72FF61A08E3.jpeg

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That last shot looks great, bud.
Thanks! I’m actually surprised because I took that when I was running around in a hurry and I got home to look at it and I was like “wow!” Lol. I’m going to make that my FTS Friday post on IG this week :D

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tips on the stag, it’s growing so well right now and looks very healthy!
Thanks! Me too. They just look so amazing in person. It actually looks like a Caribbean reef! I’m pretty impressed with how well they’ve done over the last two years. :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back