Chemiclean Nuked tank!

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what was running at the time you introduced Chemiclean? It won't bleach SPS... something else happened.

OP
OP
K

Knapp870

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what was running at the time you introduced Chemiclean? It won't bleach SPS... something else happened.
What do you mean it won't bleach sps. Chemiclean was introduced, everything turned off except return pump, lights and a gfo reactor to absorb phosphate released by any organics. First 24 hours was fine but next 12 everything bleached.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How exactly does the chemiclean work. clearly there is some misunderstanding.
The active ingredient appears to be erythromycin cetyl sulfate along with a surfactant.

They claim it "Contains no phosphates, algacides or Erythromycin succinate. "

While this is true, it appears to be very deceptive.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran chemiclean on my system a few weeks ago with no issues. For oxygenation, I leave my skimmer running with the cup off, letting it overflow into the sump. I ran it twice before this and also had no issues.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brew. Here. You'll like this. Its where some of anecdotals n legend from this thread are from. I haven quite finished it.

This post pointed me in the right direction. I took the info from this and emailed a colleague of mine in Germany about this. He was able to confirm the active ingredients as they are required to be listed for all products sold in Germany. As is typical on the internet, I found many possible ingredients. I am fairly confident that this is correct as long as nothing was lost in translation.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some mistake me for being anti gfo gac no pox copper qt and med and a gorpy pro bacteria tree hugger, scratch that chato hugger:D.
I just like to be informed about what they are what they do and how to use and prescribe them correctly.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This post pointed me in the right direction. I took the info from this and emailed a colleague of mine in Germany about this. He was able to confirm the active ingredients as they are required to be listed for all products sold in Germany. As is typical on the internet, I found many possible ingredients. I am fairly confident that this is correct as long as nothing was lost in translation.
I love the simple fact that I finally chose to open up on this site that there's other people like me that have to learn the facts of a situation the pros and cons of the things that we use and what we use them for the simple fact that somebody can go back on this site with a question and be able to find more research that is a group worth working for. After spending the last hour reading all thirteen pages of this thread and watching the videos and reading the links on the chemiclean it is open my eyes and show me proof thank you very much for your dedication in making sure everybody has the correct information to make their own determination.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the simple fact that I finally chose to open up on this site that there's other people like me that have to learn the facts of a situation the pros and cons of the things that we use and what we use them for the simple fact that somebody can go back on this site with a question and be able to find more research that is a group worth working for. After spending the last hour reading all thirteen pages of this thread and watching the videos and reading the links on the chemiclean it is open my eyes and show me proof thank you very much for your dedication in making sure everybody has the correct information to make their own determination.
thats why im here too.

thanks

@revhtree thanks

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I believe I said earlier, I am a research junkie. I love knowledge.

That said, just because I found what I believe to be accurate ingredients I still can't figure out why so many people can use this product successfully and yet others have almost complete tank die offs. Some are clearly a lack of O2 yet cases like this, where the OP seems to have done everything right, there is still a systemic collapse.

I still can't help but feel that this is somehow tied to a toxin released by zoa's.... Just wish I could confirm.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That said, just because I found what I believe to be accurate ingredients I still can't figure out why so many people can use this product successfully and yet others have almost complete tank die offs. Some are clearly a lack of O2 yet cases like this, where the OP seems to have done everything right, there is still a systemic collapse.

I still can't help but feel that this is somehow tied to a toxin released by zoa's.... Just wish I could confirm.
so what im getting is it acts more on gram negative bacteria, the common benificial are positive(i think i have thise righ) anyway it basically bursts the cell walls of the target baterial populations.

Two method of reefing. sterile and natural. can also in to use of bugs and worms too btw. in a fairly strile system bacterial populations are low of either. good bacteria is also deep in the rock.
so it kills the bad stuff first easily, it kills the good stuff alittle but in the smaller recommended doses its used up quickly leaving the majority of the good and also before it can get deep in the sand and rock.

earlier my theory was is a high bacterial concentration in this case good and bad, and also possibly a slight overdose. not sure still.

I appreciate everyone's input and help with this. I'll keep everyone posted with the recovery efdorts
please do. sooo sorry. ruff stuff.
from the read, change carbon run o2.

Azreefr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people in our club that had good experiences with chemiclean. Unfortunately the only time I used it I had a bad experience. Maybe one of my lessons learned may help. I followed the directions, under dosed by 15%, did not run my skimmer, ran two air stones, cleaned and siphoned cyano before dosing, and did not use my lights for a couple days. The cyano disappeared but later came back as did other types of algae. It was almost as if my tank went through a mini cycle. It took 4 to 5 months to recover. And I had to toothbrush and siphoned my rock work every week. Instead of adding supplements I just waited it out and let my tank rebalance. The good news is that I didn't lose any Sps but did lose some Zoas.

Lessons learned: I did a 20% then a 50% water change and I still had chemiclean foam in my skimmer until I let my skimmer cup drain into a bucket. After a gallon or two the foam went away. I kept losing and replacing snails during this time and weeks later. I'm sure this provided fuel to prolong my algae issue. I am not sure if something they were eating killed them or if it was chemiclean residue. I'd make up a few gallons of NSW and run the skimmer wet until it stops foaming.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've dumped this junk in my sps tank, went back for a second round without doing a water change and everything was fine. skimmer was useless for two weeks but lost no corals. I dunno.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

, I am from the medical field and ordering a lot of drugs so my first case would go to the manufacturer as the manufacturer why we're having these instances versus those instances and then make that manufacture credible for their product and what's happening will give you an answer because they don't want anything to happen I've learned that I'm good at that. I want to know every if and or what when I am purchasing and the intent that I'm purchasing it for. 8 out of 10 times I will go to the manufacturer and you will be surprised the things that you can make happen and free stuff

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brew. Here. You'll like this. Its where some of anecdotals n legend from this thread are from. I haven quite finished it.

@reeferfoxx youll like this read too.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-2453082.html
I went over the links a few times. Why aren't we seeing the full breakdown of what chemiclean is? I see "it's shaped like this" and "It breaks down like this" but no list of compounds? Chemiclean states it's made with enzymes as well? None of that is shown to be explained? I have to be missing it?

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over the links a few times. Why aren't we seeing the full breakdown of what chemiclean is? I see "it's shaped like this" and "It breaks down like this" but no list of compounds? Chemiclean states it's made with enzymes as well? None of that is shown to be explained? I have to be missing it?
I'm doing some research too but I'm going to go directly to the manufacturer

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing some research too but I'm going to go directly to the manufacturer
On Boyd Enterprises website, they don't really specify which EM it doesn't contain. It just says no EM.

Correction, promotes enzymes not made with enzymes ... Trying to do a million things at once lol

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back