Chemiclean RUINED my tank

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is extremely unfortunate but YOU killed the tank WITH chemi-clean. I think that’s where people get it wrong. I have used it, as have others, with no issues at all.
Did you clean out as much of the cyano out as possible before dosing the tank?
Did you over oxygenate your tank while treating your tank?
At the point you are at now I would’ve tried doing the largest water change possible and adding carbon.
Why Carbon?

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer ?

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Carbon?
That’s a bit of a silly question. Carbons remove a wide range of impurities. If you have poor water quality, especially after the addition of chemicals, water change and carbon would be the fastest way to make improvements until you find a resolution or cause.

If I may… Why not?

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you didn't say what your PH was before the chemiclean, I'm thinking:
Not enough aeration during the chemiclean treatment which caused your PH to fall, which then killed off all of your fish. When I use chemiclean I make sure my PH is correct, aerate with the airstone for a couple hours first, and then dose the chemiclean. Never ever, ever had an issue with chemiclean---it's the same stuff to treat staph infections and pink-eye in humans--so it's absolutely harmless to anything in your tank except cyano and "bad" algae. It's almost like comparing allergy eye drops to regular tap water.

Now that it's over, cycle the tank again before you add ANY chemicals except for carbon. You want all your parameters to get back to where they should be, and make sure the algae blooms aren't just temporary.

The carbon will help rid the tank of any unwanted chemicals that could be lingering in there. Change it out every few days(like every 5 days) during the re-cycle, but don't use too much for the water volume of your system. A new bag of 1/2 cup or thereabouts every 5 days is just about right for your size tank.

OP
OP
R

roferro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies and help. I will study all these replies and see what the best option is. Might have to restart the tank on a bigger one since thats what I been aiming on.

For those asking I have a 30 Gallon tank and yes the cycle indeed has been really disrupted.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry wrecked your reply. That might explain why my Nitrates always read zero while nitrates climbed

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies and help. I will study all these replies and see what the best option is. Might have to restart the tank on a bigger one since thats what I been aiming on.

For those asking I have a 30 Gallon tank and yes the cycle indeed has been really disrupted.

Yes do it now. Invest in one as large as you can afford. I have a 45, and now a 90. That's small compared to others, but once you reach that minimum I believe the cost is not all that more

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you Overdosed the Chemiclean. Did you use the Little Scoop Spoon that was in the Package? Never had a problem with ChemiClean. BTW, when I had Blue Plating Sponge in an Aquarium, I never had Red Cyanobacteria.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a bit of a silly question. Carbons remove a wide range of impurities. If you have poor water quality, especially after the addition of chemicals, water change and carbon would be the fastest way to make improvements until you find a resolution or cause.

If I may… Why not?
I use Carbon filters, but have read a lot of negative posts on its use. Just trying to get more info. Have used carbon since I was about 8 almost 60 years ago. But on fresh water tanks not salt

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this is about water clearness I observed an interesting reaction. I recently cleaned my skimmer by running a bleach wash through it for about 2 hours, and rinsed it in tap water for about the same period. I must have had a residual amount left, because my water became crystal clear. I am tempted to add a drop with every water change. Any comments ( about 15 gallons a change )

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also interesting ( loved your response to the snorkeler ) He did not respond. Do you feel as I am doing to leave the lights off, as BRS suggests will bypass this so called Ugly phase?
Lights off doesn't bypass the ugly stages but makes it much more manageable because your tank develops biodiversity over the dark period.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for your struggle. Everything in this hobby is a learning opportunity and as you re set, use this as part of your learning curve. Band aid chemicals fixes should be a last resort not a first option. Nothing in reefing happens quickly. Patience is critical and allowing mother nature to do her thing in your tank versus man made bandaid solution that often can lead to other unexpected consequences.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the chemiclean. Too many people use it, something else contributed to the perfect storm.. very unfortunate.

I take a different approach and won't ever use anything to eradicate algae.. as the system ages enough it will balance itself out. Take your time and don't get that reactive for patches of algae. Even then there are many non dosing related fixes that may have helped if it didn't just go away by itself in a few weeks. In any event hope you get it sorted.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon will absorb chemiclean (the antibiotic erythromycin which is sold as a salt form with cetyl sulfate - this is actually a detergent and enhances solubility, but causes foaming).

I have used Chemiclean and also measured oxygen levels using an oxygen sensor (Control Company) and observed no oxygen depletion (saturating dissolved oxygen (DO) at 35 ppt salinity and 25 °C is reported as 6.9 mg/L. I observed 6.8 mg/L everyday after dosing). I think oxygen can be depleted in cases where there is a large amount of cyanobacteria (thus it's always best to manually remove as much as possible).

I personally don't like using Chemiclean since it wipes out most gram-positive bacteria and can lead to a bacterial imbalance, especially in new systems with low bacterial diversity (gram-negative bacteria predominate in established marine systems that are generally not affected since they are intrinsically resistant). However, even in an established system, where one has cultivated hundreds of species of bacteria - almost always inadvertently through introduction of livestock or intentionally using live rock , the use of chemiclean can destroy months or years of work building bacterial diversity.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To Me you answered your own problem Very small water volume to work with. I had same problem

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Carbon filters, but have read a lot of negative posts on its use. Just trying to get more info. Have used carbon since I was about 8 almost 60 years ago. But on fresh water tanks not salt
You'll here varied opinions on carbon.... all worth consideration. I don't run it typically but will throw a bag in my HOB for a few days once or twice a year. No Skimmer , Canister or Sump leads me to believe my metals in the system could be higher than most. Of course It may be all for not, as much of this could be in the substrate. That is recently newly replaced on a tank move, so I'm actually going to send out an ICP test to see.

No carbon typically for 25 years as I worry about HLLE. Tang is 18 years and healthy as ever....

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why Carbon?
Pretty sure they were talking about organic carbon causing a bacterial bloom, not activated carbon. Like the carbon from carbon dosing (vinegar, vodka, sugar, nopox, etc), not the charcoal/activated carbon that is used as a water clarifier. Organic carbon is also introduced in fish foods and in new tanks when there isn’t a mature, diverse biome, it can cause a bacterial bloom, but blooms can happen when there is too much of any nutrient/food source and not a diverse population of bacteria competing for it.

OP
OP
R

roferro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to change the type of saltwater I use since I use some with a lot of nutrients that arent needed for my tank (mostly softies). Do a 5 gallon water change with it, change out my entire filter media since there might still be some chemiclean on it, and add some bottled bacteria.

Im thinking the aquarium just restarted its cycle due to the killing spree and I’m just going to give it time now.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back