Chiller temperature controller lifespan?

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chiller's inbuilt thermostat only turns chiller on after 1.5C, though my display tank thermometer doesn't show changes over 0.6C, I wanna get a controller to link to heater and chiller. Does controller turning cooler on and off throughout day decrease its lifespan dramatically?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I would say it will reduce it's lifespan but that is what you need to do to keep an even temp so I would just put it on the controller anyways

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the quality of the controller I'd imagine. Controllers are designed to cycle on and off. The bigger problem is short cycling the chiller compressor. BUT, short cycling means on off every 5 minutes, for example.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is really no need or advantage to controlling the temperature in a very tight range. When swimming on the reefs the temperature changes noticeably and quickly depending on location, depth,time of day and currents. By controlling temperature tightly you corals become less able to handle a larger swing should you have a heater or chiller failure.
The more you cycle a heater or chiller on and off, the sooner they will fail, plain and simple! There is a reason the manufacturer programed the chiller that way.
Controlling the temp super closely is just going to run up your electric bill.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't short cycle the chiller. Larger swings and more run time is better, just the same as any AC unit.

If you want to lessen the impact to your chiller, run a fan over the top of your tank with the hood doors open (if you have any). Start it before the heat starts and let it run all day - don't wait until you get your tank gets hot to turn on the fan since you will already be behind. In Colorado, this is enough to keep my tanks at 78 if I turn the fan on with the lights, but it was not enough in Missouri where the humidity was higher and I got less evaporation. I am talking about a Honeywell or Vornado type of fan on a larger tank, not a computer fan.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back