OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just re-read your initial post in this thread and realized that CP is light sensitive. I have been running the hood lights each day. Would this also cause issues with the cloudiness? Would it affect the levels of CP in the tank?

Probably not. Below is from a public aquarium employee. Perhaps the confusion comes from being able to use a UV sterilizer to remove Chloroquine from the water or it may just be the powder itself you need to protect from light. However, I want to do a little more research myself before removing the "light sensitive" warning from the sticky.

I have also heard the possibility that it is light sensitive but we do run lights on each of the systems. the 240 gallon systems run low wattage t5, and our 750's run 400W metal halides with PC bulbs. While running the lights we notice no significant change in the CP levels.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good suggestion! I've edited the first post to include this under "Cons/Side Effects":

@Reef Fever any other species we should add to this list?
Nothing so far. The last small batch I did breezed through. Borbonius anthias, Royal gramma, firefish, multibar Angel, scribbled rabbit, various damsels. We have a few thousand dollars worth of fish coming in tomorrow. They will be going through CP after prazi. I will keep you guys updated

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not knocking you guys. I think it's great that you're all trying CP. The OP did mention that this wasn't a new thing in the hobby so again, no offense. I feel like credit should be given to Bob Fenner and the crew at Wet Web Media. Bob has been promoting CP use for over ten years *that I'm aware of* and there are many many Q&As on the site covering almost any scenario you can think of. May be a great source of additional info for you guys asking questions on this thread.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will be going through CP after prazi.

FWIW; I regularly mix (powder) praziquantel with CP to expedite the QT process. Just don't ever do it with liquid Prazipro.

I'm not knocking you guys. I think it's great that you're all trying CP. The OP did mention that this wasn't a new thing in the hobby so again, no offense. I feel like credit should be given to Bob Fenner and the crew at Wet Web Media. Bob has been promoting CP use for over ten years *that I'm aware of* and there are many many Q&As on the site covering almost any scenario you can think of. May be a great source of additional info for you guys asking questions on this thread.
I have a ton of respect for Fenner, and will sometimes refer members over to WWM when I'm stumped.

FWIW; here is WWM's FAQ on Quinine Compounds (which includes CP): http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quinmedfaqs.htm

However, I owe all of my knowledge regarding CP to @alprazo over on RC. Here is the big CP thread over there: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136214

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; I regularly mix (powder) praziquantel with CP to expedite the QT process. Just don't ever do it with liquid Prazipro.

I have a ton of respect for Fenner, and will sometimes refer members over to WWM when I'm stumped.

FWIW; here is WWM's FAQ on Quinine Compounds (which includes CP): http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quinmedfaqs.htm

However, I owe all of my knowledge regarding CP to @alprazo over on RC. Here is the big CP thread over there: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2136214
Still break the prazi down with formalin? I was actually curious if that could be done..

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still break the prazi down with formalin? I was actually curious if that could be done..

No, I just dump it right in. I've found that while powder praziquantel is not easily water soluble, it will still dissolve after a few hours in SW.

I learned this after speaking with a chemist who works for API, which makes "General Cure" - a prazi/metro powder mix which contains no solubilizing agent. ;)

Chknsamich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So using General Cure during CP treatment is ok? If so how should i go on doing it? add General cure and repeat in about 6 days for fluke eggs?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So using General Cure during CP treatment is ok? If so how should i go on doing it? add General cure and repeat in about 6 days for fluke eggs?

One course of General Cure is divided up into two doses, spaced 48 hrs apart. So what you want to do is 1 week later, treat with another course of GC (to get the hatchlings.) I've used GC in conjunction with CP many times.

Chknsamich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble fish. Also I might have dosed Bio spira during the cp treatment. Would this reduce the effectiveness of the CP in anyway?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks humble fish. Also I might have dosed Bio spira during the cp treatment. Would this reduce the effectiveness of the CP in anyway?

No, but the presence of CP probably killed most of the live nitrifying bacteria as soon as it hit the water. Next time dose Bio-spira a few days before dosing CP, so it can begin to seed your bio-filter.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dangros I would say a secondary bacterial infection is setting in (bad news). This is very common in fish with preexisting parasitic infestations. Add Kanaplex or Furan-2 to the mix.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can try to pick then up from the local stores tomorrow. I do have some other meds in case they work:
MetroPlex, PrazizPro, Api General Cure, and ChemiClean (I know this is for cyano but since it kills bacteria??)
If I can substitute any of the others, how much? I have a scale.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MetroPlex

You can add this to the mix, but you'll still need a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Kanaplex or Furan-2.

ChemiClean (I know this is for cyano but since it kills bacteria??)

This used to contain erythromycin, but since they changed the formulation I have no idea which antibiotic (if any) it contains now.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok will look for it in the pet store today. I just ordered one of them off amazon just in case I can't find them in the stores.
How should I proceed with water changes and what can I expect if things go well?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I also have Cipro. Can I use that? If so how much? Otherwise, I'll have to wait for the Kanaplex to arrive tomorrow b/c the stores aren't carrying the antibiotics any longer. I guess they are afraid of regulation or misuse?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back