Chloroquine phosphate

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only fed today and he seemed to ignore the food. Hopefully he pulls through.
Should I do a water change? I could clip on some romaine or nori. I've never seen the tangs eat the nori though. Maybe my batch is smelly :)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dosage did you use? IME; fish in CP will usually not eat nori (for long) because they don't like the bitter taste from the CP.

Tanggirl12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried 4 of them, hypo or cupramine, haven't tried CP. I think I'm getting them too small. My next and last attempt will be a medium sized yellow belly.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's never been a great eater so it's difficult to tell and I didn't feed this am. I will try tonight. The morning before I captured him, he ate for the first time upon dumping food in the tank (to give you an idea how skittish this guy is). Obviously he's been eating b/c he's been in the tank since 5/6/2016. He's always out and about and picking on rock if I watch on my nanny-cam. If I so much as entered the room, however; he would dart under the rock. In fact, I thought he was dead b/c I hadn't seen him in a good 2-3 days before this weekend.

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to interrupt, and it's been a little while since I've re-read all the threads on here regarding CP, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but does CP turn the water cloudy even after you are days into the treatment? I'm currently in the 2nd week of CP treating a clown and blue dot puffer, and currently the water has become very cloudy. It was about 6 or 7 days into the CP treatment when I did a water change (this weekend) and cleaned the aquarium glass, but it's been only two days at most and the water has become very cloudy again. And this morning the puffer did not eat, which is weird considering he eats like a pig, and both fish have been healthy. The temp stays at 78, and the ammonia levels, at least according to the ammonia alert has not even registered anything.

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback! I have been running an air stone from about 9pm - 9am every day. It's basically off while I'm at work, but could leave it on all day and night if that's a better option?

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RMAS0934 yes it will make your water cloudy. Make sure you to aerate the water.

^^This. It's the 1% binder that turns the water cloudy. Make sure you are running an air stone or point a powerhead towards the surface of the water for maximum gas exchange. And never mix CP with Prazipro (causes a bacterial bloom in most cases.)

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Humble Fish! After Prazi I did a 50% water change and ran a filter with carbon for 24 hours. Then started CP and after a week I did a 25% water change, with the fresh water dosed with CP as well. I will run the air-stone 24/7 going forward. I'm guessing the puffer just wasn't hungry this morning? Not like him but maybe was just a coincidence...Thank you as always!

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Prazi I did a 50% water change and ran a filter with carbon for 24 hours. Then started CP and after a week I did a 25% water change, with the fresh water dosed with CP as well.

You meant saltwater, right? ;) Just checking.

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes! Haha sorry. I meant fresh saltwater lol. That'd be bad! "After Prazi I did a 50% water change and ran a filter with carbon for 24 hours. Then started CP and after a week I did a 25% water change, with fresh salt water dosed with CP as well."

20LogR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Can we keep the first post updated with what fish react poorly to CP or start a new thread for sticky. I know that a lot of this will be anecdotal, but would help for people to add their experiences good or bad to the list of fish to avoid treating with CP.

Im wondering if a slow titration to full dosing of CP over a several day period would help.

This is how I treat with copper and it seems to help a lot. I ramp up over four days instead of two.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish Can we keep the first post updated with what fish react poorly to CP or start a new thread for sticky. I know that a lot of this will be anecdotal, but would help for people to add their experiences good or bad to the list of fish to avoid treating with CP.

Good suggestion! I've edited the first post to include this under "Cons/Side Effects":
Based upon anecdotal experience (mine and others), the following species should NOT be treated with CP: Certain wrasses (only "flasher" & "fairy" wrasses appear to be safe), Hippo Tangs.

@Reef Fever any other species we should add to this list?

RMAS0934

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This. It's the 1% binder that turns the water cloudy. Make sure you are running an air stone or point a powerhead towards the surface of the water for maximum gas exchange. And never mix CP with Prazipro (causes a bacterial bloom in most cases.)
I just re-read your initial post in this thread and realized that CP is light sensitive. I have been running the hood lights each day. Would this also cause issues with the cloudiness? Would it affect the levels of CP in the tank?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back