OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish may I ask your opinion on Metronidazole for ich? I have read a little on this for the treatment of bacterial disease, but I have also seen articles for its use on protozoans like Cryptocaryon (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Metronidazole.html). I'm curious about this as I have tried locally for CP, but the vet said he can't prescribe anything without seeing the animal first. Which was a little frustrating considering I would be using this as a preventative or treatment for the qt of new fish (smooth fish), not currently ill fish. Buying in bulk is not feasible at the moment, so obviously Metronidazole or even Kanamycin appealed to me (I believe Dr. Gregory had mentioned in his recent video that he had seen Kanaplex used).

To my knowledge, metro has never been thoroughly tested as a viable treatment for SW ich. However, it has been tested successfully on brook & uronema. It is most effective against anaerobic bacterial fish diseases. I personally wouldn't trust it to eradicate SW ich; FW ich would be more likely.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend starting CP and is running hypo at the same time at 1.009, is this ok?

I personally wouldn't combine the two, as I think it would be too harsh on the fish. But I've also never tried doing it before. :confused:

Emisis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using the information that @Humblefish has provided and having success treating a full blown outbreak with just CP I personally see no need in using hypo at the same time as CP. In 3-4 days the appearance of the Ich was gone and the 3 in treatment are doing fine at this time 22 days in.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was on Seachem's website and saw this little jewel: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/SpoonScale.html
Digital Spoon Scale

When precision matters, the Seachem Digital Spoon Scale is the perfect companion tool for the serious aquarist. Accurate and easy to use, it will ensure precise dosing of any chemical or supplement up to 300 grams in 0.1 increments. The LCD display will display results in either grams or ounces and can be switched at the push of a button. It is corrosion resistant and colored to resist stains. It runs on 2 AAA batteries (included) with an easy-access battery compartment.

Looks like a good tool to use to measure CP. ;) However, a digital scale like this works fine too: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-GEMINI-20-Portable-MilliGram/dp/B0012TDNAM

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we use some of their products at the aquarium with nothing negative to say

I believe they source their CP from China unfortunately, its not US pharmaceutical grade.

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they source their CP from China unfortunately, its not US pharmaceutical grade.
Our CP isn't from them, its from Fishman. But when I called to get updated SDS on some chemicals from NFP the email they sent me was from Fishman? not sure whats going on there but I'm guessing they are a subsidiary of fishman

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our CP isn't from them, its from Fishman. But when I called to get updated SDS on some chemicals from NFP the email they sent me was from Fishman? not sure whats going on there but I'm guessing they are a subsidiary of fishman

Pretty much all CP that's sold without the Rx requirement is sourced from China. Fishman, National Fish Pharmaceuticals, Fish Remedies LLC, etc. A colleague of mine has even tracked it down to the building in China where it's being produced. :eek:

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all CP that's sold without the Rx requirement is sourced from China. Fishman, National Fish Pharmaceuticals, Fish Remedies LLC, etc. A colleague of mine has even tracked it down to the building in China where it's being produced. :eek:
unfortunate. seems to work just fine for what it is though

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for my absence, been preoccupied with stuff at work!

I found that article very interesting. Not entirely sure what to make of it though.

I am on a listserver of aquarists around the world and recently CP had been brought up and I believe it was Charles delbeek who mentioned he does a 21 day treatment rather than a 30 day. I am about to put a tank of very sensitive fish through. I myself am contemplating a 21 day vs the traditional 30. After completion (hopefully they all make it) they will more than likely get one more 24hr prazi soak followed by a one hour formalin bath.

Starting with:

2 multibar angels
2 lyretail anthias
2 borbonius anthias
1 scribbled rabbit
10 firefish
2 talbots damsels
1 springeri damsel
how is this going for you thus far?

Reef Fever

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how is this going for you thus far?
Out of all those fish the only mortalities have been 2 firefish. So pretty well I must say! There were/are some other fish I forgot to list that are in the treatment as well. But again, only the two firefish, and I can't directly relate it to the CP

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish, any luck on hippos yet? I have one under CP as of last night. I had a larger order of fish that wouldn't fit in my QT. So I ordered from BlueZoo foolishly thinking t it would be ok - HUGE, HUGE mistake. Every fish from the order is dead except the hippo (flame angel, yellow eyed Kole tang, bic0lor blenny). The fish I had previously (ocellaris, purple firefish, baby eel) are all doing great and showing no signs of anything. Strangely, however, one of my 3 BTAs started looking quite sick as well, so yesterday I did a 25% water change and managed to capture and QT the hippo. The anem had a marginal improvement today while the other anems look great. The flame looked like it had ich after a couple weeks and then seemed to recover, only to be found dead a few days later. Then the Kole and blenny vanished this week. They were all eating.
At the bottom of this album, there are images of the hippo playing dead in QT. It's been extremely shy since I got it.
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0fGY8gBYGyN6yW

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dangros Is he eating in QT? All the hippos I tried to run thru CP wouldn't eat and died about a week in.

Back