Chloroquine phosphate

BrotherSheepDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to treat? Do you mean maracyn?

I am treating ich.

No not Maracyn. Marex...
8E09A924-6749-449F-A257-2AD8C776048A.jpeg

.... heard great stuff about it in articles and forum post but a lot of people stated it was discontinued many many years ago. I just purchased a pack and was wondering if anyone has used it recently to combat ich.

I am using it right now in a 40 qt. I’m on my second day. I am QTing my maroon pair, Hippo, yellow tang and Fiji devil damsel.
2A26C847-D698-4A13-9F0D-711ECCA1C948.jpeg

E16824A1-9E0A-46CD-BC03-BAC0938767E5.jpeg

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still show signs of ich after 2 weeks of CP?

A moorish idol does. The other fish in the Qt don’t really, but it’s still there which shouldn’t be the case....

I did 1.5 grams to start, and he still showed ich after a week, so I did another 1/2.

Still showing ich.

They’re also in triple antibiotic.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am treating ich.

No not Maracyn. Marex...
8E09A924-6749-449F-A257-2AD8C776048A.jpeg

.... heard great stuff about it in articles and forum post but a lot of people stated it was discontinued many many years ago. I just purchased a pack and was wondering if anyone has used it recently to combat ich.

I am using it right now in a 40 qt. I’m on my second day. I am QTing my maroon pair, Hippo, yellow tang and Fiji devil damsel.
2A26C847-D698-4A13-9F0D-711ECCA1C948.jpeg

E16824A1-9E0A-46CD-BC03-BAC0938767E5.jpeg
All I can find is that they "ceased operations many years ago," lol. CP does have a shelf life of like 4 years. I'm not sure what happens to it after that.

I'm sure the efficacy goes down, but I'm not sure how much per year. The stuff you have is probably 30+ years old! If you are going to go the non prescription route (as I had to), get some new stuff from Fishman Chemical or National Fish Pharmaceutical. I successfully used it at 50mg/gal to make up for any lack in purity.

BrotherSheepDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can find is that they "ceased operations many years ago," lol. CP does have a shelf life of like 4 years. I'm not sure what happens to it after that.

I'm sure the efficacy goes down, but I'm not sure how much per year. The stuff you have is probably 30+ years old! If you are going to go the non prescription route (as I had to), get some new stuff from Fishman Chemical or National Fish Pharmaceutical. I successfully used it at 50mg/gal to make up for any lack in purity.
Lol Geez I hope that’s not the case or the Marex and I are almost the same age, lol. I’m not sure if they back at it or not. The company that manufactures it Aquatronics seems to be selling a lot of it in addition to other aquatic meds. I think they are back in business?

My only concern is that it states to dose one capsule for every 10 gallons to combat ich. The box states the ingredients are “
A colorless antibiotic blend of Pyrimethamine and
Chloroquine Phosphate.“

juicemanatx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of 99% pure chloroquine? If so, that's 80 mg/G assuming you have 25 gal. of water in your 29G tank. That is very strong. How long has your fish been exposed to this level?

The instructions from my vet are 1.5 scoops per 29 gallon Qt. Worked great on previous batches of fish.

Not sure if I have a resistant strain...

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used prime with CP many times, without any issues.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m breaking down and disninfecting 2 quarantine tanks that had CP in them (1 successful, 1 not). Do I need to run carbon first to remove the medication that may be in the sponge, silicone, and equipment, or can I just dump the water and rinse with bleach water and allow to dry as normal?

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a quick question for you regular cp users. I’m fairly well up to speed with using cp and have used it several times but always for a 21 day course.

I have a yellow tang in quarantine at the moment that is being treated as a prophylactic measure. It has been in cp for 16 days with a week in quarantine before dosing. and has showed no signs or symptoms of anything. The trouble I may have to go away unexpectedly to work tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Although not ideal do you think I would be relatively safe to add the fish to my display now? I really don’t want leave it in cp for my tank sitter (feeder) to look after for the next couple of weeks as it’s only a small tank and anything going wrong is likely to go wrong quickly!

Thanks in advance.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taking my cat to a new vet today. Gonna ask him for a CP script while I’m there. Fingers crossed...but hopes not up haha ;)

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we can use diamondbackdrugs.com just tell your vet to call them and place the order for you he just have to tell them you are a R2R member and they will mail it to your home. If I remember the info correctly it’s somewhere in the thread I believe

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back