Choats Wrasse help

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Choats wrasse finished QT along with several anthias on Monday. Hes been swimming around and eating or at least I thought he was eating. Always got exciting and swam after food. Hard to tell if he ever actually eats it.

Anyway everything seemed great. QT for just over a month and looked great since Monday in display. Today he didnt come out to eat and he was laying on side breathing heavy. I tried to grab him and he swam away. Seemed to still have energy. Left home for a couple hours and came back and he was swimming out front but occasionally laying back on side.

I was able to net him and put back in the Waiting room QT still running. Any ideas what's going on? All other fish seem fine. Tested ammonia and 0. Could he be getting bullied? No visible injuries but a couple of the anthias do have nipped fins. My purple tang would be the first suspect.

Thanks in advance!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choats are a very difficult fish to adapt to captivity. Along with most leopards. I wouldn't move back to display until it's eating. It's very obvious when they do eat. They often grab large pieces of food. Grind them, spit them into smaller pieces then eat them. If it's on it's side that is not good. Can you post a pic so we can take a look?

I have always had to use live foods with most leopards. 2-3 small feedings per day. Then transition then to frozen foods.

Also can you decsribe your QT process with the leopard?

Good luck, one of my favorite fish.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking like it's not gonna make it. QT was 2 weeks of TTM and prazi. 2 weeks of monitoring. I assumed it was eating because it always got active and swam around everytime I fed frozen. I was feeding calanus

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I love leopards..... beautiful fish... especially the Choats....I have six leopards, but not a Choat....I am keeping my fingers crossed for your leopard. Where did you get him? I always got mine from the same LFS....so they were eatting Mysis when I brought them home. I never QT my leopards. Like others have said probably a good idea to get them eatting.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problem is idk what to do at this point. Local stores dont have live food in stock. Also not 100% sure that's the problem. He looked great yesterday.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent. No white poop or notice anything weird. He did act a bit strange during 2nd dose of prazi but assumed he was just sensitive to it.

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still kicking but not looking good...

20180920_224208.jpg

20180920_224158.jpg

20180920_224154.jpg

OP
OP
S

Shallow Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes still alive but just lays on side breathing all heavy. Doesnt go after live food either. Seems to have energy and swims for a bit when I try and grab it. Not sure what is wrong or what I can do at this point...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back