Choose ... Your ... POWERHEAD!!!

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my fish get close to the Nero Five but not in it thankfully. Do they make a cover, will the Nero 3 have a cover?

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao? They have a gyre as well now.

I’ve got the SCP 90, very happy with it. Brilliant in my nano tank pointed at the surface on fast pulse makes for a nice wave that only just stays in the tank.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen my fish get close to the Nero Five but not in it thankfully. Do they make a cover, will the Nero 3 have a cover?
I've heard there are printers who are fabricating some, but I don't believe they are made commercially. As this will be for a seahorse tank, I didn't want to risk it.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got the SCP 90, very happy with it. Brilliant in my nano tank pointed at the surface on fast pulse makes for a nice wave that only just stays in the tank.
Is the current too strong? I've read mixed reviews. People either love it, or claim that it nearly empties their tank, lol. This would be for a seahorse tank, so I'd want flow, but just enough. My desire for the gyre is that it's constant and encompassing, not jet packs at certain corners. For reference, this is on a 45 JBJ.

Coral Reef Keepers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nero 5’s are on sale right now! And there is a Nero 3 coming out very soon. I have 2 Nero’s and they will seriously move some water!! The maintenance is literally once a month if that and takes 5 min.
What have you heard of the Nero 3? I saw a "leak" about the name in a video demonstration of Mobius. They had an icon named Nero 3. I have searched but have not found any more info.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you heard of the Nero 3? I saw a "leak" about the name in a video demonstration of Mobius. They had an icon named Nero 3. I have searched but have not found any more info.
I haven't heard anything - only about the nero 5. Assumptions that there is such a steep discount right now because a redesign is being made.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the current too strong? I've read mixed reviews. People either love it, or claim that it nearly empties their tank, lol. This would be for a seahorse tank, so I'd want flow, but just enough. My desire for the gyre is that it's constant and encompassing, not jet packs at certain corners. For reference, this is on a 45 JBJ.

Very hard to say as it depends on your tank and rock layout. I’m running it in a 13.5 gallon tank but i have a lot of rock. It replaced two jebao sw2s that just wouldn’t give me the coverage I needed. This thing pushes water the entire length and width of my tank on the slowest setting. You can buy an additional WiFi controller that replaces the controller that it comes with to give more speed options which I bought and had to return as it wouldn’t connect to any of our phones or tablets in our house despite managing to get it connected to our router. Can’t say if it’s any better or worse than the other brands of gyre as I’ve not tried them.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to say as it depends on your tank and rock layout. I’m running it in a 13.5 gallon tank but i have a lot of rock. It replaced two jebao sw2s that just wouldn’t give me the coverage I needed. This thing pushes water the entire length and width of my tank on the slowest setting. You can buy an additional WiFi controller that replaces the controller that it comes with to give more speed options which I bought and had to return as it wouldn’t connect to any of our phones or tablets in our house despite managing to get it connected to our router. Can’t say if it’s any better or worse than the other brands of gyre as I’ve not tried them.
That's fair and a great assessment. The 45 is nearly a cube, so I think it would do well, and I also have a fair amount of rock in there to disperse the flow. I've read that the wifi is not a simple set up, which is strange because I've never had issues connecting any other devices. I'm considering it because they've discontinued the ice cap 1K and doesn't seems like the 2k may be following behind shortly.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair and a great assessment. The 45 is nearly a cube, so I think it would do well, and I also have a fair amount of rock in there to disperse the flow. I've read that the wifi is not a simple set up, which is strange because I've never had issues connecting any other devices. I'm considering it because they've discontinued the ice cap 1K and doesn't seems like the 2k may be following behind shortly.

Same here, I’ve connected all sorts of devices to WiFi that use an app on my phone but this was a nightmare. Flat out would not work on any of our android phones. My iPad managed to connect it to our WiFi but that was it. The app on iPad and android phones couldn’t find the T1 WiFi controller. I knew it wouldn’t work on 5GHz so like most of the other devices I was trying with the phones on 2.4GHz. I trawled the internet for answers and got someone else to try in case I was being stupid but no joy.

The standard non WiFi controller does have a decent amount of options but if you need it to run slower you’re out of luck.

What about the maxspect version? Is that suitable for you?

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, I’ve connected all sorts of devices to WiFi that use an app on my phone but this was a nightmare. Flat out would not work on any of our android phones. My iPad managed to connect it to our WiFi but that was it. The app on iPad and android phones couldn’t find the T1 WiFi controller. I knew it wouldn’t work on 5GHz so like most of the other devices I was trying with the phones on 2.4GHz. I trawled the internet for answers and got someone else to try in case I was being stupid but no joy.

The standard non WiFi controller does have a decent amount of options but if you need it to run slower you’re out of luck.

What about the maxspect version? Is that suitable for you?
This one?

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same as you with the video. It would make since to sell a smaller less powerful version. Not everyone has a huge tank. I would of gotten something with less horse power if available. We shall see

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glott3133

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like power head shopping is turning into a dating-game like show. Each has their own sets of pros and cons, but I can't seem to find the "perfect" match.
I run 2 eflux mid-ranges on my mixed reef, but need something a little lighter for a seahorse setup. Of all the reviews and lists I read, there are very few that list the current USA eflux's, but I've had nothing but luck with them - I've checked out the Aqamai, which seems like a cool set up, and of course there's always the MP10, but is there something "wrong" with Current USA's eflux or are they just not on the top of anyone's list?
Anyone have any other suggestions for a low force powehead that's controllable? (controller, wifi or BT is fine).
I run 3 eFlux 1050s in my tank. I haven't had a single problem with them; and they're reasonably priced for a complete loop system.

OP
OP
ErinD

ErinD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 eFlux 1050s in my tank. I haven't had a single problem with them; and they're reasonably priced for a complete loop system.
Agree - I have 2 1050's on my other tank hooked into the bluetooth system. This is a bit of different setup, so was looking to get my feet wet (no pun) in a different pond.

Wee Mad Arthur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price is a bit hard to swallow.

I guess it depends on reliability and life span of the equipment as to whether it’s worth it or not. You’d have to read some reviews and see what people are saying. Sometimes spending more gets you a better product and sometimes it doesn’t. On a previous tank I had a Vortech MP10 which had to be replaced under warranty after only a few months of use. Granted I’ve never run a Jebao pump consistently for years, but I’ve never had one fail yet either. I also run a 10,000L controllable Jebao TSF solids pump in my pond which hasn’t caused me any issues yet.

Russell Casey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard there are printers who are fabricating some, but I don't believe they are made commercially. As this will be for a seahorse tank, I didn't want to risk it.
i think you made a good choice as it doesn't matter what people tell you that print the 3d items for you. If they lie to you or I about the type of ABS, Pet, filling they are using the tank could be in trouble :(.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back