Choosing among the Kessil lights for an Acro dominant setup

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on a Kessil light choice. The tank is 60 X 24 X 24. It will be an Acropora dominant set up. I've spoken to hobbyist and read numerous threads recommending the Kessil A360's, the ap 700's, or the AP9X for mixed reefs and or combined in a hybrid set up with T5's, LED strips like the Orphek Blue strips or ReefBrights when going for the extra coverage needed in Acro dominant reefs. I'd rather not have to supplement with a secondary light source.
Would the a500 be adequate for this type setup without the need for supplemental lighting in a tank this size if sufficient height were obtained ?
I'd love to hear from people who are actually using the lights and can share their experience with these lights. Thanks in advance reefers!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Orpheks don't have great blending and spread when mounted below 14" or so. If you ever decide to move back to LED bars, then check out Quanta Pro bars. With Kessil's, you'll need to cover acropora on all sides to minimize shading, all point source lights are like this, regardless of brand.
I'm really liking what I'm seeing in terms of coral response with the T5's and the Kessil's at the moment. Kinda the best of both worlds. I guess time will tell.

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the t5s knock down da bomb shimmer the the kessils give. Thinking of adding a couple led strips just to supplement by dont want it muting the shimmer

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the t5s knock down da bomb shimmer the the kessils give. Thinking of adding a couple led strips just to supplement by dont want it muting the shimmer
It's 4 bulbs and they do soften it a bit and in the process, fill every nook and cranny with light. I leave the kessils on after the t5's go out and the shimmer and contrast is amazing. They are my 6 to closing lights.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4125.jpeg
IMG_4122.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4082.jpeg
    IMG_4082.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 22
Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks. Think i might add a strip just to fill in. Mine is a mixxed reef and the actual spot light style works good for keeping sps right under light and and lps and softies off to the side. Gives a high light to low light effect

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230614_192749.jpg

Only 5 1/2 months old

Got the stylo and monti right under the hot spot and lps off to side. The jack o lantern and cyphastrea in middle and growing like crazy. Think i put euphyllia to high. Might move em.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230614_192749.jpg

Only 5 1/2 months old

Got the stylo and monti right under the hot spot and lps off to side. The jack o lantern and cyphastrea in middle and growing like crazy. Think i put euphyllia to high. Might move em.
Looking good and even more so for such a young tank. Why do you want it move the Euphyllia?

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok tks for the heads up. Does look like some little stalks are growing off side so dont want to hurt the baby hammers. Not a 100% i want to move them to be honest

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230614_192749.jpg

Only 5 1/2 months old

If you need a hand anytime, I am 15 minutes from you in Newport. Tank looks good! I also run Kessils.

Upvote 0

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need a hand anytime, I am 15 minutes from you in Newport. Tank looks good! I also run Kessils.

Tks bro. About to hit up this cherry coral in livonia live sale.

But if you cuttin some frags on those sweet corals in your tank some time let me know so i can get a nugget.

Upvote 0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tks bro. About to hit up this cherry coral in livonia live sale.

But if you cuttin some frags on those sweet corals in your tank some time let me know so i can get a nugget.
Can't go wrong with Cherry Coral! Todd and Brett will take care of you. I always have frags. I just don't list sales on here as I don't ship.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back