Choosing among the Kessil lights for an Acro dominant setup

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for advice on a Kessil light choice. The tank is 60 X 24 X 24. It will be an Acropora dominant set up. I've spoken to hobbyist and read numerous threads recommending the Kessil A360's, the ap 700's, or the AP9X for mixed reefs and or combined in a hybrid set up with T5's, LED strips like the Orphek Blue strips or ReefBrights when going for the extra coverage needed in Acro dominant reefs. I'd rather not have to supplement with a secondary light source.
Would the a500 be adequate for this type setup without the need for supplemental lighting in a tank this size if sufficient height were obtained ?
I'd love to hear from people who are actually using the lights and can share their experience with these lights. Thanks in advance reefers!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask why?
Spread is not good, they are somewhat spotlighty and honestly way over priced for the power and you have to buy a dongle to access full capability. So far I have no issues with quality of their build (they are about a year and a half old) and they certainly do work, I mean you will grow corals. If you really like that shimmer, and honestly I do myself I'd consider a hybrid approach. Something like a radion or a viperspectra or ReeFi mixed in to give it power and spread. I didn't start seeing any real success with SPS growing at all until I added in a couple reefi's. Those are way more powerful and have better spread for far less. There are a ton of choices out there I'm not a brand ambassador of any sort. Just my two cents, but you asked hehe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spread is not good, they are somewhat spotlighty and honestly way over priced for the power and you have to buy a dongle to access full capability. So far I have no issues with quality of their build (they are about a year and a half old) and they certainly do work, I mean you will grow corals. If you really like that shimmer, and honestly I do myself I'd consider a hybrid approach. Something like a radion or a viperspectra or ReeFi mixed in to give it power and spread. I didn't start seeing any real success with SPS growing at all until I added in a couple reefi's. Those are way more powerful and have better spread for far less. There are a ton of choices out there I'm not a brand ambassador of any sort. Just my two cents, but you asked hehe.
Thanks! I do appreciate your honesty and what you're saying coincides with most opinions regarding these lights. Would love to see your SPS growthunder these lights. I do love the shimmer as well and truly like the light cast by the Kessil by themselves. Maybe for the exact reasons most others supplement them. The contrast and shading gives an awesome sense of depth and perspective.
That being said is the reason for my looking at these new a500's. I'm thinking they would fill the bill without the need for T5 or Led strips.

Great build thread. Checking it out now.

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I do appreciate your honesty and what you're saying coincides with most opinions regarding these lights. Would love to see your SPS growthunder these lights. I do love the shimmer as well and truly like the light cast by the Kessil by themselves. Maybe for the exact reasons most others supplement them. The contrast and shading gives an awesome sense of depth and perspective.
That being said is the reason for my looking at these new a500's. I'm thinking they would fill the bill without the need for T5 or Led strips.

I'll keep you posted on the sps. Just started trying them out again after a couple failed attempts. So far they are encrusting the plugs (which I could never get them to do previously) and some are just starting to show signs of branching and one really has submitted in size size I got it mid October. My system isn't SPS dominated but I do want a decent mix. But where I was going nowhere before, I am now. I'm going to let things ride for now as I'm past making fast static changes. In another few months I'll decide if I want to dump two of the four and replace them with more reefi's

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep you posted on the sps. Just started trying them out again after a couple failed attempts. So far they are encrusting the plugs (which I could never get them to do previously) and some are just starting to show signs of branching and one really has submitted in size size I got it mid October. My system isn't SPS dominated but I do want a decent mix. But where I was going nowhere before, I am now. I'm going to let things ride for now as I'm past making fast static changes. In another few months I'll decide if I want to dump two of the four and replace them with more reefi's
I think those 500's are really designed for high mounted applications. Perhaps that's applicable for you. I'm not saying don't get them, but I am recommending that you don't use them as your sole source. I've always had a par meter and the results were pretty disappointing until I added the reefi's.

Upvote 0

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @Rob.bucek

I’ve got three A360x over my 4x2x2 and I too regret purchasing them. Im keeping them for the shimmer effect but will be adding two radions g5 pro between the kessils. Or purchase three radion xr15s and place two kessils between the radions

Upvote 0

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the one that's doubled in size since October and has amazing polyp extension always.
PXL_20211219_175736080.MP~2.jpg

I got this around the same time and it's now thoroughly encrusted the base (it wasn't at all when I brought it home). On the back side is starting to bud out.

PXL_20211219_175859544.MP.jpg

Nothing crazy but for being new and coming from where I had it's really exciting for me to see things moving.

This was just a little a little nub when I got it in October as well slot half the size it is now and you can see it's starting to branch.
PXL_20211219_180209078.MP.jpg

I got these as test pieces to see how they'd do since I was gun shy from previously failed attempts. They are all under the reefi's

Upvote 0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I was setting up an SPS dominant tank I don’t know that I would use Kessil. People seem to have success running them with supplemental lighting but I feel as if most reefers use Orphek Atlantiks or Radions. I had an A160 back in the day and was not impressed. All of my corals had pretty significant shading and the tank just looked dim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those 500's are really designed for high mounted applications. Perhaps that's applicable for you. I'm not saying don't get them, but I am recommending that you don't use them as your sole source. I've always had a par meter and the results were pretty disappointing until I added the reefi's.
I don’t have a problem with the high mounting. If I need to supplement with them I’d just go with another light. They are technically two 360’s in one so doesn’t make sense to have to do the same as with the 360 to obtain my goal

Upvote 0
OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if I was setting up an SPS dominant tank I don’t know that I would use Kessil. People seem to have success running them with supplemental lighting but I feel as if most reefers use Orphek Atlantiks or Radions. I had an A160 back in the day and was not impressed. All of my corals had pretty significant shading and the tank just looked dim
Interesting view.
While I’m not familiar with the 160. I have seen the 360 and the newer lights at shows.
If anything I find the lighting crisp and contrasty.
Some of the newer lights I see now put down an incredible uniform blanket of light but it’s just a ton of light.
Don’t get me wrong, it may be awesome for the corals and that’s what matters the most but if I can get the corals to like them and I like them too well then we would have a workable relationship.

Upvote 0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting view.
While I’m not familiar with the 160. I have seen the 360 and the newer lights at shows.
If anything I find the lighting crisp and contrasty.
Some of the newer lights I see now put down an incredible uniform blanket of light but it’s just a ton of light.
Don’t get me wrong, it may be awesome for the corals and that’s what matters the most but if I can get the corals to like them and I like them too well then we would have a workable relationship.
Yeah and I mean it’s just my opinion. I don’t have as much experience with Kessils as others on here but I just feel like every Kessil tank I look at seems very dark. That’s not to say the corals aren’t growing. One of the best characteristics of SPS is how nice their color looks under natural daylight. I feel the radions do that the best.

Nonetheless, the Kessils are capable of growing SPS and as long as your happy and your corals are happy, that is all that matters

Upvote 0

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can absolutely use 360x’s or 500x’s alone, but you’re going to need more than what you think. I love these lights, but by design, they have a con, shading. But, this shouldn’t keep you from using them, but make sure you plan accordingly. They will grow and color sps perfectly fine. My experience is to use one light for every 12” to 16” square of sps coverage. The best way to mount them is at slight angles towards each other. I have a 36x36x16 tank and I was running six 360x’s over it, plus three Orphek OR2’s. All point source lighting has this crutch, but so does nature. Unless you’re running led panels, you’ll need more than the manufacturer recommends for sps, this is for all LEDs.
A05747D1-FD1B-42C9-B337-3BC1058FDB52.jpeg
65E0F6DE-15C5-4F9C-B6EF-641F64067B91.jpeg
9D4837C4-9745-460A-86B1-40A6F3606780.jpeg
940D5E1E-07B6-4109-81D7-FD212FFA982C.jpeg

Upvote 0

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say go for it if doing LPS - the polyps sway and can catch the spotlights. Since you said sps you’ll probably have issues with the corals shadowing themselves if you don’t supplement with T5s or similar.
I visited an LFS once that had Kessils over an epic SPS tank. When l asked the owner how, he opened the canopy and turns out had the kessils on motorized tracks that moved around the tank to get around the shadowing issue.

You can’t beat the look of Kessils in my opinion. It seems like a lot if them don’t make it past 2-3 years though (based on reviews), and the shadowing issue.

Upvote 0

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i kmow you just want kessil but the way i would do it is with 3 kessil a360x and 2 reefbrite 250w mh hybrids . i would go i kessil on each end one middle and the mh one the sides of the middle . i have a 4' tank with 2 kessils on each and and a reefbrite mh hybrid in the middle and love it

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back