Chris' 180 Gallon In Wall Office Tank

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to see how those zoas are settling between the rocks.
Mine are just spreading from the center and making one big patch.
Would love to see them do as yours.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is interesting to see how those zoas are settling between the rocks.
Mine are just spreading from the center and making one big patch.
Would love to see them do as yours.
I suspect they are simply telling me they have a little too much light.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or somebody picks at the ones that can be reached easily. My angel kept me from having fun stuff like zoas. I am gonna get some this time around!

Could be, not sure what would be picking at them, the tubbs blue next to them seem to not care/grow as a mound.

PurpleTopDown by Christopher Uthe, on Flickr

Been testing testing testing and trying to keep things stable. Dialing in the 2 part pretty good in the 9.1/9.2 DKH range with 450-490 Ca.

Losing a little color on some pieces the last week or two, wonder if my phosphates have snuck up. The regular phosphate hanna checker reads 0.0, maybe I've stripped them. I'll bust out the ULR next and see what that says. I turned GFO off a couple weeks ago as I keep getting good harvests from my ATS.

Part of the problem with having 5 fish in a 180 gallon tank is feeding enough to keep levels up without causing massive spikes.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those 5 fish must be huge right now with all that feeding to keep nutrients up.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those 5 fish must be huge right now with all that feeding to keep nutrients up.

They eat like kings, that's for sure.

Going to use my lunch break to get everything I need to plumb an outside air intake for my skimmer. I can't help but feel like the constant 7.4 - 7.6 I average isn't helping things and the mechanical vent fan got changed into a whole house dehumidifier with a fresh air intake, but that is a few months out of being installed. I want some pH readings in the 8's for a while to see if it makes a difference.

No water changes, I emptied my water change tank and took it outside and scrubbed it out and haven't made any more water. Tank doesn't seem to be suffering but I am going to get on making some water and vacuuming out the sump for a 20-30 gallon manual change.

I do see some GHA in the tank but I'm not hitting the panic button yet, the ATS is really ramping up based on time between cleaning needed so I want to see if I can dial back feeding a little, let the ATS get lush and see if I can control it that way vs GFO.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hole drilled to the outside world. In for a penny....

I'm running 1 inch PVC out and up the south wall of the house a few inches, terminating in a 1.5 inch 180 degree sweep so that rain/snow etc can't get in it. The 1 inch PVC will run down the wall to a 1 inch by 1/2 inch by 1 inch T hosts a nipple to the 3/8 inch ID tubing. The bottom 1 inch of the T goes down a bit with a screw on cap to drain any condensation that forms in the run.

Photos hopefully... soon.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning after report: pH this morning is 7.7 before the lights come on vs 7.3 yesterday morning. House was just as closed up last night as it was the night before. Skimmer overflowed so will need to adjust it, not sure if it's due to the temperature difference of the air or if the volume it is it getting changed... It did get a bigger hose from the venturi to the 1 inch line than it had before. So far pleased as punch, we'll see how it does over the next few days.

OP
OP
iced98lx

iced98lx

Chris
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
44910571912_51ca38fb24_b.jpg

44239607794_c81584fee6_b.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back