Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates from my best friend @ChristopherKriens? :D

;)

---------------------

After 8 years I finally upgraded my camera body. I tested it out a little this afternoon and it will take some getting used to, but I think I'll finally be able to get a decent photo or two. The autofocus, ISO performance, and frame rate are much better and should allow for some interesting fish shots. Dynamic range is much better too, which will help with full tank photos. Not exactly tank-build related, but since we just crossed 300 photos in this thread, it's kind of relevant. It will be fun to see what it can do.

First shot with the new camera:

I'm also trying to introduce an acclimation box for fish coming out of quarantine. So far, it's been a good addition; the first fish (P. evansi) seems at home and the residents have gotten over their posturing and curiosity over the last couple of days.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
;)

---------------------

After 8 years I finally upgraded my camera body. I tested it out a little this afternoon and it will take some getting used to, but I think I'll finally be able to get a decent photo or two. The autofocus, ISO performance, and frame rate are much better and should allow for some interesting fish shots. Dynamic range is much better too, which will help with full tank photos. Not exactly tank-build related, but since we just crossed 300 photos in this thread, it's kind of relevant. It will be fun to see what it can do.

First shot with the new camera:

I'm also trying to introduce an acclimation box for fish coming out of quarantine. So far, it's been a good addition; the first fish (P. evansi) seems at home and the residents have gotten over their posturing and curiosity over the last couple of days.

Dude!!!! I love your photos!

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good Chris! Are you using your canon to film?

Yep, this model shoots decent quality 4K so I'm playing around with it. It's pretty good at tracking slow moving fish in the acclimation box, but anthias in the display is another story. o_O Have to zoom out a bit to get good footage.

I did another short clip with the clownfish and anemone.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, this model shoots decent quality 4K so I'm playing around with it. It's pretty good at tracking slow moving fish in the acclimation box, but anthias in the display is another story. o_O Have to zoom out a bit to get good footage.

I did another short clip with the clownfish and anemone.

Yeah that's cool. I wonder is there a tendency to want to continually make minor adjustments to focus or do you just know better and leave it?

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's cool. I wonder is there a tendency to want to continually make minor adjustments to focus or do you just know better and leave it?

The 5D has a dual pixel autofocus technology that is actually really good at follow-focusing a subject over time. At the macro level, it is struggling a little bit. The Firefish (@jlanger) video was done with this focus method, and the Clownfish video was just manual focus.

Cool video - which lens did you use for the clownfish/anemone clip?

Thanks- This was done with the Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro.

shawnriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome videos Chris! What type of pellets do you feed your tank? I currently use New Life Spectrum 1mm but my Ignitus Anthias (currently in QT) are not interested at all - only feeds on mysis shrimp. I also have a female Leopard Wrasse in my DT who is also not interested; she only feeds on chopped clams. Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it Chris!

OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome videos Chris! What type of pellets do you feed your tank? I currently use New Life Spectrum 1mm but my Ignitus Anthias (currently in QT) are not interested at all - only feeds on mysis shrimp. I also have a female Leopard Wrasse in my DT who is also not interested; she only feeds on chopped clams. Thanks.

I'm using Hatchery Diet by Sustainable Aquatics. New Life is a good pellet as well, but I do use the 0.5mm size at first to ween them on. I've had eventual luck getting both Dispar and Ignitus onto pellets. I feed mostly frozen, but I do feed pellets when I get busy or am away for the weekend to keep the weight on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ChristopherKriens

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing the camera out up close to see what it can do.

Cooper's Anthias. They have some really cool reds and oranges in the eye.

Caudal fin flare on the basslet.

Leopard wrasse. She has finally started making a transition to male.

Caudal peduncle spine on the yellow tang.

Bicolor Anthias watching for pellets.

Pot of Gold Favia after feeding.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back