Christmas Rock Update

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet piece! It's really dark for a Porites usually they're light tan to light green in the wild from my experience...maybe it was at a lower depth? How big is it?? It looks sizeable! This is the piece I'm picking up either today
Sweet piece! It's really dark for a Porites usually they're light tan to light green in the wild from my experience...maybe it was at a lower depth? How big is it?? It looks sizeable! This is the piece I'm picking up either today or tomorrow... Screenshot_2022-12-26-19-06-45-747_jp.naver.line.android.jpg
Little bigger than the palm of my hand, and the porites looks lighter in person, like a reddish-green color. It also came on a nice flat ceramic disc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bigger than the palm of my hand, and the porites looks lighter in person, like a reddish-green color. It also came on a nice flat ceramic disc.
Sweet...the one i have now turned from greenish to a lighter tan tint in my tank and does have some reddish coloration in places now as well too. When you get it in the tank you should take a pic...the only thing i don't like about the perfectly flat base is that it's practically impossible to mount in a way that looks natural but you can always put it on the sand bed flat...i also feel like Porites are relatively difficult to maintain for whatever reason from what I've heard from others but i guess I'll find out as the one i currently have progresses and see how the new one I'm about to get does...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A482791A-3068-4767-8769-CCE183B8BC49.jpeg
B909DEB3-59EC-422F-9674-AD71A5818BB7.jpeg

it’s closed and sliming right now so I’m going to take a few more pictures later, all the pink on it is the dying tissue, looks pretty healthy apart from that.
Nice...i originally thought your worms were bigger than mine but i think they're about the same size (maybe same species)...did you dip it? I didn't dip mine purposefully because I was unsure of the worms' tolerance

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice...i originally thought your worms were bigger than mine but i think they're about the same size (maybe same species)...did you dip it? I didn't dip mine purposefully because I was unsure of the worms' tolerance
I did not dip it, and yeah the worms are pretty small, i heard they grow about 1mm in diameter a year and max at 1.5" crown size so im guessing these are pretty young.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not dip it, and yeah the worms are pretty small, i heard they grow about 1mm in diameter a year and max at 1.5" crown size so im guessing these are pretty young.
Yeah, I'm hoping mine grow to be the big, full size worms you see in pics or when diving as well which is why I'm making sure to offer mine plenty of particulate foods of different sizes to feed on...(of course this species might just be smaller than other species but offering plenty of food can't hurt as long as you keep your parameters in check) I'm sure many people would feel contrary to the non-dipping but i really think that was the right move

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely don't want to dip if you want the worms to survive.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas tree, coco and feather duster worms

love me some worms! Above link is to my 1 year Christmas tree worm rock, it’s the big type of worms along with a dozen or so pagurid crabs (which I’m convinced can do a hostile takeover of worm holes away from the Christmas trees). Pic below is of my 2 year old smaller rock which just always looks amazing and I’ve never lost a worm on it. I feed lots of coral foods (brightwell blizzard, brightwell LPS, roids, live and dead phytoplankton (specifically reef nutrition Shellfish diet and live tetraselmis) as well as LRS foods to the fish. Of the two, the big worms are super hard to keep happy IMO, requiring constant but not too hard flow and hard to see if foods are effective at keeping them happy.

535C012F-0675-47FE-A6E3-7751EFDF1479.jpeg

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas tree, coco and feather duster worms

love me some worms! Above link is to my 1 year Christmas tree worm rock, it’s the big type of worms along with a dozen or so pagurid crabs (which I’m convinced can do a hostile takeover of worm holes away from the Christmas trees). Pic below is of my 2 year old smaller rock which just always looks amazing and I’ve never lost a worm on it. I feed lots of coral foods (brightwell blizzard, brightwell LPS, roids, live and dead phytoplankton (specifically reef nutrition Shellfish diet and live tetraselmis) as well as LRS foods to the fish. Of the two, the big worms are super hard to keep happy IMO, requiring constant but not too hard flow and hard to see if foods are effective at keeping them happy.

535C012F-0675-47FE-A6E3-7751EFDF1479.jpeg
I’ve heard of the small worms eventually growing bigger but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more species, they can live over 40 years so It could take 15+ years to reach full size, I’m no marine biologist though.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of the small worms eventually growing bigger but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more species, they can live over 40 years so It could take 15+ years to reach full size, I’m no marine biologist though.

40 years?! Ok, so maybe those little guys are the same species, geez! If so that means these larger ones could be decades old…

geeked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old post but I bet you could buy tube worms and have a coral grow over it. Essentially this is how these are "made"

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tom Petty
I hear you, great knowledge btw and great insight into your aquarium life, we all have different experience and different options/opinions as all our aquriam's vary, I really love the Christmas tree rock/coral and many years ago this was sold s live rock on a beautiful pieces of toother rock/ various names etc

I am Just intrigued why you hijacked this thread In multiples of comments, I still have thousands of questions to ask after being years in this hobby and reef2reef members are very knowledgeable and great in answering questions.

If you got problems with your aquarium you could always ask, even for reassurance it helps getting that one response that agrees with you

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an old post but I bet you could buy tube worms and have a coral grow over it. Essentially this is how these are "made"
As mentioned above, that’s actually not how these work - these worms colonize the coral and bore into them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back